Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Where is the fuel pump relay (and what is this)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Where is the fuel pump relay (and what is this) by Stewy
Started on: 01-21-2012 07:22 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 06-20-2013 10:38 AM
Stewy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post
Hello, Where is the fuel pump relay on a 1985 SE 2.8? and while I am at it,I lifted out this jumble of wires wich were rubbing on the belt and am wondering what vacuum line attatches to the end of the right side of the cylinder thingy?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drown021/6739002527/

I found a wire that has been broken in half due to rubbing on a pulley so I am going to fix that tomorrow. My fuel pump is not coming on and I would like to find and test the relay to troubleshoot it. I was under the impression it was in the engine compartment on the drivers side but I do not see it. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wraith13

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wraith13Send a Private Message to wraith13Direct Link to This Post
It is located d/s front firewall in the engine compartment, it is behind the air filter canister.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pump relay is right behind air canistor...There r 2 relays side by side...one is AC and the other fuel pump....The picture shows the EGR soliniod...there should be a vaccum line that runs from it to the firewall to a small metal tube. The wires go the the block under the c500...
Stewy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post
wow,that was quick fella's. Looks like the orange wire that was rubbing on the pulley was for the fuel pump circuit. I spliced that back together and now the fuel pump comes on.I will look for the tube that the egr thing attatches to although I noticed that on the bottom of the cylinder looks broken also. Isnt this assembly supposed to be bolted somewhere? The wiring and loom have been rubbing on the top pulley and the vacuum lines dont really have good support. It's cold and dark out now so I will update what I find. Thanks again.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
That orange wire - Does it have a connector on it going up toward the power distribution block? If so that is a power source for your ecm.
The egr solenoid: The open port is a fresh air port, Originally there was a black rubber hose that went to a small metal line the goes across the firewall (in places it is attached to a larger tube that if the recalls were done on your car is open on both ends). The small line terminates over by the filter canister and normally connects to a nipple on the canister. Being left open is not a big deal.
The mounting bracket for the solenoid appears to be missing along with sheet metal clip that holds the harness up off the belt and pulleys
Stewy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post
@ 2farnorth: yes,that orange wire went to a connector and was broken in half due to rubbing on the pulley. Good to know not to worry about the open end because i couldnt find ANY hoses that attatched to it in that mess of wiring,lol. Looks like whoever worked on it before had all the wiring under a coolant hose and thus was rubbing on the pulley. I will either find a bracker or just keep it tie wrapped up and away from the pulleys as I have it now. So she's back up and running again Thanks again for all the help
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
That Orange/Black wire (I assume the color) runs to your oil pressure switch. If that wire being disconnected made your fuel pump stop running then your fuel pump is running on just the oil pressure switch, and not the fuel pump relay. When you first turn the key to on, your fuel pump relay is supposed to turn on your fuel pump for 2 seconds. I would think that is not happening on your car.

Fixing the fuel pump relay problem will allow your engine to start much quicker, especially when the weather gets warm.
Stewy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post
@ phonedawgz , I did not see a black trace on the orange wire and it did run up to a connector which then went to the distribution block .

Now as for the relays, are these in the front of the vehicle? i know I replaced those two relays when I bought the vehicle and I know one of them is for the AC,I thought the other one was for the heater.
Basically what happened is I was driving and it bucked and check engine light flashed and then I was dead in the water. I did not hear the fuel pump kicking on so I knew that was the problem pretty much off the bat. Luckily a buddy I know owns a towing company so I told him where it was and to just dump it off in front of my garage,lmao.
I didnt see any relays in the engine compartment itself on the firewall..... just where all the wiring goes to the distribution block near the battery unless those are the relays.
Thanks again for all the replies. Pretty soon I will be the one giving the advice once I fix all the gremlins in this car
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well I am now going to change my mind. If the wire was just orange with no tracer then it was most likely the unswitched power from the power distribution post to the ECM as stated before.

If when you turn on the key but don't crank the fuel pump runs for two seconds then your fuel pump relay is working correctly.

The location of the fuel pump relay is in the engine compartment, on the firewall, right behind the drivers seat.

You can't go by the location of the relay since they are easily moved. The fuel pump relay will have wires that are Green/White, Black, Tan/White and Orange/Black

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
If you stand at the rear of the vehicle and look at the driver side firewall just under the rear glass, there are 2 relays. 1 is the fuel pump and the other is AC. They are kinda hard to see cause the air filter canister blocks them a bit.
Stewy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh,I see the relays now. They are hidden a bit. Thanks again guys. Now I know where everything is at.And knowing is half the battle.
PFF
System Bot
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
I live just a couple miles from you, maybe we could meet up sometime.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

What is the third relay for or is that just a generic picture?

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
What is the third relay for or is that just a generic picture?

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Bump for last question and new ones:

How many of those little relays are on our cars? Are they the same ones used with the headlights? Are they used anywhere else?

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
bump for curiosity.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
Bump for a guru's inspection.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I gave up on the easy way and checked The Fiero Store.

http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Search.aspx

This page shows 6 different relays. 4 of them are the little black box type. According to this page, only the fuel pump and the AC use this particular relay.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock