Cracks in the roof skin by Joe 1320
Started on: 09-22-2011 04:11 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 04-27-2012 02:35 PM
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I've got some cracks in the roof skin from chassis flex from before a full frame X brace was welded to the floor. What's the best media to fill them? Evercoat fiberglass filler? Regular Bondo? believe it or not, I used 3M flexible bumper repair compound on a Camaro front fender...... It's held perfectly for 6+ years, think that would work here too?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineDirect Link to This Post
3m flex parts repair material should hold and be least likely to redevelop cracks. If you are going for a show car finish, you may need to grind it out, add a layer of fiberglass matt and then duraglass/bondo - if you are going for the ultimate finish. Just my 2 Cents!

------------------
87 NB, 3800SC 13.10 at 102.5 quarter mile, custom dash

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Don't use fiberglass. Don't use bondo. Don't use duraglass, unless they've changed the formula since I last used it (been awhile). Don't use 3m flex parts repair material unless it specifically says it will work on SMC fiberglass on the label.
I use Evercoat 'Vette Panel Adhesive filler. Bottom line, don't use anything unless it specifically says it will work on SMC fiberglass on the label.
http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0
EDIT: If you do a search with my username you'll find instructions on what to do. I've covered this several times.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 09-22-2011).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineDirect Link to This Post
He is right, do not use 3m flexible repair material on SMC. For repairing structural cracks you may want to grind down around the crack and repair it with Evercoat 865 SMC fiberglass resin with some fiberglass mat. If you have it handy, according to the Technical Data sheet for Duraglas, it can be used cosmetically over SMC. I just hope my roof never cracks!
fieroluke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
I don't have cracks, but the gelcoat is coming off especially around the sunroof edges, but also starting on the a-pillars and hood.

What do you suggest? Same material for repairs? Is this common?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
gelcoat? Do you mean Clearcoat?? There is no gelcoat on a Fiero....
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Well, flakes of about 0.5 x 1 inch come off, clearcoat, basecoat and whatever it is that is below that and above the fibreglass. In all, it is about 0.5mm thick flakes.
Once they're off, you can see the grey fibres that the roof is made of. So I assumed it was gelcoat, but I'm really no fibreglass expert, so whatever GM used as finish before painting, that's what's flaking off now.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
oohh,, The primer is failing.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluke:

Well, flakes of about 0.5 x 1 inch come off, clearcoat, basecoat and whatever it is that is below that and above the fibreglass. In all, it is about 0.5mm thick flakes.
Once they're off, you can see the grey fibres that the roof is made of. So I assumed it was gelcoat, but I'm really no fibreglass expert, so whatever GM used as finish before painting, that's what's flaking off now.

Yeah; no gelcoat. If you see fibers grind out the damage with a 24 grit disc & use 'Vette Panel Adhesive/filler.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTDirect Link to This Post

Yup, I have the same problem on my '88 GT. The more I drive it, the more it seems to chip.... And I can now see fibers mostly around the sunroof weather strip.

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6
2001 Grand Prix GTP SC3.8L V6

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Wonderful. If the car was still under warranty, we could complain ;-)

Sooo, would it be better to find a good roof section and swap or fix my flaking section?
In other words: is this going to happen to all roof panels sooner or later, or was my roof painted on a Monday?
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
SMC will absorb moisture and expand slightly. I am thinking the sunroof hole has a raw edge or there are some cracks that go through the primer. Does your car see a lot of water?
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
It's in Germany, so, yes - it does see lots of water... ;-)

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Ok, to resurrect an old thread: where would I get this "Evercoat 'Vette Panel Adhesive filler"?
Is that something common that I can find at say Pep Boys or Autozone, or does it have to be ordered?

Reason I'm asking: I'll be in the US soon for a few days, but won't have much time hunting for parts, so I'd like to know where to look.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiDirect Link to This Post
I looked on Evercoat's website, the "Vette panel adhesive/filler" says on the can that it is not for SMC fiberglass. But the product description says it can be used as a filler but not to bond. So what product should be used to bond the panels?

Vette Panel Adhesive/Filler™
A polyester body filler for fiberglass and SMC panels. No shrinkage. Helps prevent repair mapping on seam lines over fiberglass repairs. Used to bond fiberglass panels only, not SMC. Blue cream hardener included.

CATALOG NO. SIZE UNITS/CASE WT./CASE
870 Quart 6 24 lbs.
880 Gallon 4 53 lbs.

Here is the page on their website

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 04-21-2012).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
This is what you want to use.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Ok, to resurrect an old thread: where would I get this "Evercoat 'Vette Panel Adhesive filler"?
Is that something common that I can find at say Pep Boys or Autozone, or does it have to be ordered?

Reason I'm asking: I'll be in the US soon for a few days, but won't have much time hunting for parts, so I'd like to know where to look.

Most local autobody supply/paint supply places have it.
Yeah make sure you get the one made for SMC.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, weird, I can't find that on their website. Catalog# 870 comes up as "non-smc"
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
It runs around $39.00 a quart. I got mine at www.AutoBodyToolmart.com
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info everyone!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
How does that happen? Unless the UV rays are insane, or people walked on your roof, or the car was never waxed?

PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

How does that happen? Unless the UV rays are insane, or people walked on your roof, or the car was never waxed?

I have seen this on some Michigan cars. A week or two of drizzle and overnight freeze-thaw cycles.....sort of like how we get pot holes in the street. Some years it can go on for over a month. It's true that a little preventative maintenance can take care of it, but very often the PO was not into cars that much.....
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue on my Formula and Paul/ThaDriver is 100% correct, grind out the rough spots with a very coarse disk/paper, I used a 24 I think. I also dug around with a small blade and found a few other areas that were starting to flake off that looked ok but with a little poking, popped up. Look for hairline cracks or discolorations and make sure it’s not starting to lift. Get all that crap off now or you’ll be doing it again in a few months. Mine looked pretty bad when I was done digging and grinding out all the loose flaking crap. (at work or I’d post a few pixs). Then use the Evercoat vet panel stuff just like you would regular Bondo (but never use regular bondo on a Fiero) and fill them in and sand smooth. My car is still in primer but looks great.
I couldn't find it locally and got it off Amazon.com for thirty something.
I wouldn’t advise a roof panel swap, removing a good one without damaging it at the upper windshield corners isn’t easy. Chances are it'll crack and you'll need to do the same thing to fix it anyway. Fixing what you’ve got would be easier.
Also be aware that Evercoat is tough stuff and doesn’t sand as easily as Bondo does so don’t glob it on or your arm and shoulder will be sore as hell by the time you’re done sanding it all down.

Edit to add, if you’re serious about fixing this once and for all you may want to pull the sunroof gasket to get any issues on the corners and inside edges. If you don’t those areas could over time spread back up to the top. Be careful pulling the gasket, mine was glued down to the tracks and tore but I already had a new one so it was no big deal.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-27-2012).]

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick question. Same SMC Vette filler for all panels? Roof, front/rear bumper/side quarter panels? I have a few repairs needed on all those..
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Just a quick question. Same SMC Vette filler for all panels? Roof, front/rear bumper/side quarter panels? I have a few repairs needed on all those..

Definitely not. It's only for SMC: the roofs & hood/decklid.
http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I have seen this on some Michigan cars. A week or two of drizzle and overnight freeze-thaw cycles.....sort of like how we get pot holes in the street. Some years it can go on for over a month. It's true that a little preventative maintenance can take care of it, but very often the PO was not into cars that much.....

X2, my car has this BAD, it's almost always stored outside. Michigan is hell on cars.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock