Getrag Transmission Input Bearing Broken by ILVMYGT
Started on: 06-24-2011 11:32 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 08-10-2012 03:31 PM
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTDirect Link to This Post
This can't be good.

Is the input bearing assembly still available? How is it put in? Does the transmission need to be disassembled to press the bearing out? Or can it be extracted and replace without disassembling the transmission?

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap In Progress

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
you are screwed bro, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. That part is impossible to get ahold of. I have a leaky input shaft seal, all part of that component. basically SOL. Good luck, maybe find one used or there may be a few running around, if you find a supplier be sure to send me the info so I can order one.

This would be a great part for Sir Rodney to make...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Uh-oh...

The input shaft bearing/seal unit needs to be pressed out, and the new one pressed in. It requires having the transmission casing split apart.

And to add insult to injury, that particular part is pretty hard to come by. You could try contacting ManTrans... maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have one in stock.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I just went through this about three months ago on a customer's car. You do need to split the case, but luckily for you there is at least one great thread on how to do this. Use the search function and type in "Splitting Case". It's really not that daunting a task to do. As for finding the bearing by itself, that will be the hardest part, although the bearing is still available in the rebuild kit which includes all new seals, and several bearings. The kit part number is BK234 but unfortunately I don't know who the manufacturer is. Any transmission shop will be able to look it up for you though. Here in Canada the kit cost $225. Not cheap but there aren't too many alternatives. BTW you definitely want the shop to press in the new input shaft bearing once you've got the case half in your hands, as mine went in tight. There's a lot of potential to ruin it so leave that liability with the shop!

Edit: Here's the thread by Blacktree... excellent write up with photos. www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109502.html

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 06-25-2011).]

Mera8066

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mera8066Send a Private Message to Mera8066Direct Link to This Post
Going through same issue, I just had mine welded this morning, since part in no longer available. I figured could not ruin it any more, if this does not work going to have to replace tranny. Good luck and if you do find one by itself or in a kit hit me up need one bad!!!!
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
digging up an old one! I was searching on how to separate my busted getrag and found this thread. I was able to remove the shaft bearing. If anyone needs this, let me know. it has a chip in the end of it, but I don't think it affects it at all.

------------------
11 Camaro SS/RS
86 Fiero GT
03 Silverado 3500 Duramax! (Stacked, Tuned, Mean as Hell)
07 Suburban LT2
09 Avalanche LT3

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Keep an eye on ebay for rebuild kits. You may be able to find one with the throwout bearing guide sleeve. I did find one a few years back. Many will be for the later transmissions with hydraulic throwout bearings; they have the same input shaft bearing except it doesn't have the sleeve on it. I think I got my rebuild kit from High Gear. You could also try giving them a call.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I think Rodney is working on getting these input bearings made.

He has a thread going here someplace.

Archie
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I think Rodney is working on getting these input bearings made.

Archie

I am still working on this. My ME friend and I have finished the R&D and the CAD drawings just a few days ago. Next is to have parts made. That will take a few months yet. Long and interesting project. Took a bit of thought and some inventiveness. It will work and it will happen.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
It was this exact failure on my (then new) 87 GT in 1989 that killed my engine.

When the support for the release bearing went, the release bearing rotated off of the release forks, allowing them to engage into the release splines on the clutch, which of course stopped the engine VERY abruptly, which in turn caused flat spots (unbeknownst to me) on the main and rod bearings.

Upon reassembly of the transmission, it took all of about 20 miles for the engine to develop bearing knock.

GM was completely useless in resolving the issue, despite the car still being in warrantee. They said because it was in the bell housing, it was a clutch issue, and therefore not covered.

It was at that moment I resolved never to buy another NEW GM again....

Rodney, I'm hoping that you will be successful in this endeavor. I have no doubt that it will be a better than OEM part...
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
dont know if this is of any use to you
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

...later transmissions with hydraulic throwout bearings

A friend of mine very recently resolved the situation you guys are talking about with his '88 Formula by using the bellhousing from a '93 Sunbird tranny (which utilizes the hydraulic throwout bearing).

That's all I know. I'm hoping he posts in this thread and shares his solution to this problem.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-20-2012).]

Hotcha10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hotcha10Send a Private Message to Hotcha10Direct Link to This Post
While we all anxiously wait for Rodney's replacement unit, in despiration I bought the complete bearing kit last January to complete my getrag build-up. I actually bought the kit on ebay, but it is from DT Components. The part number is TRK-550 and their web page is dtcomponents.com. I paid about $300 for it on ebay, but I think it can be gotten cheaper from other sources. I hope this helps all of you who really need this part now.

Additional information: The number BK234 is also on the box label. I checked my favorites and http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/BK234.html should take you to a distributer for the part. they are selling it their for $256.22.

[This message has been edited by Hotcha10 (edited 04-22-2012).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hotcha10:

While we all anxiously wait for Rodney's replacement unit, in despiration I bought the complete bearing kit last January to complete my getrag build-up. I actually bought the kit on ebay, but it is from DT Components. The part number is TRK-550 and their web page is dtcomponents.com. I paid about $300 for it on ebay, but I think it can be gotten cheaper from other sources. I hope this helps all of you who really need this part now.

Additional information: The number BK234 is also on the box label. I checked my favorites and http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/BK234.html should take you to a distributer for the part. they are selling it their for $256.22.

This is probably a very limited availability item. One could ask how many they have but I would guess it is not that many.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

This is probably a very limited availability item. One could ask how many they have but I would guess it is not that many.

Yep I emailed them here is the response:

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry we don't have any of these kits in stock. When we checked with our supplier they tell us these are no longer available.
Thank you
Julie
manualtansmissionpart.com"
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
any luck on these input bearings rodney? sorry to pester i really am the big build day is looming closer and closer and i really do not want to put in a questionable trans. your items are top notch and i would love that peace of mind
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
The machine shop that is making these has been having problems. The owners son was seriously hurt in a car accident and that has slowed everything. But They tell me they should have the parts finished in maybe 2 weeks. So fingers crossed I will have the parts in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
oh my i am sorry to hear that. best wishes to him on a good outcome. man i feel like an idiot now sorry rodney
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately this should have been done a few months ago. Not happy but what can I do.

There are several machined parts to this kit. They had some finished and some yet to do. If I pulled out I would be at the back of the line at another manufacturer plus all the time spent to make sure they make them right.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
hey things like this happen rodney we all know how you are with quality control lol that is why you are where you are on everybody's "call THIS place for THESE parts" list

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock