3800 exhaust by ethan555
Started on: 03-23-2011 02:20 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: NightMare Cruiser on 04-05-2012 10:21 PM
ethan555

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
i found a muffler but i'm not 100% sure its right has any one used this?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magna...2267/10002/-1?CT=999

is it like the stock muffler as in one in at the top and two outs at the bottom? as seen in the picture on the web site link i left.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
well the link said the website is down for maintenance, but yes the stock muffler is one inlet in the top and two outlets on the bottom, it just depends on what you want to do to your 3800 swap
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 05:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Muffler is crossflow style same as camaro.
Inlet on one side,outlet on both sides-called crossflow type muffler.
Camaro i've heard won't fit,wouldn't mind finding listing of crossflow style that will fit no cutting.
Not alot of vehicles use crossflow style muffler.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
4" thick will fit without cutting the trunk.

Heres one of the common ones used.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50363FLT/

Steve
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ethan555:

i found a muffler but i'm not 100% sure its right has any one used this?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magna...2267/10002/-1?CT=999

is it like the stock muffler as in one in at the top and two outs at the bottom? as seen in the picture on the web site link i left.

I REALLY wish that Magnaflow would fit; but it is way to long to fit in the stock location. Its about 5" too long...
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
i saw this but i dont know if the trunk was cut or anything else.

sorry the link is so long

[This message has been edited by ethan555 (edited 03-24-2011).]

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post

ethan555

275 posts
Member since Jul 2008
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

I REALLY wish that Magnaflow would fit; but it is way to long to fit in the stock location. Its about 5" too long...

The problem with the Magnaflow 12267 is not so much the length, it is the thickness. The trunk needs to be modified (trunk wall facing muffler moved towards the back of the car by about 2") in order to use this muffler. The modification to the trunk needed to run this muffler only results in a 2" loss of trunk area (when measured from front to back of the car) at the very bottom of the trunk. The trunk still retains the stock depth (when measured from top to bottom) and width after the mod.

The Magnaflow 12267 is the quietest single-in, dual-out performance muffler I have found to work with the 3800 engines. Everything else I have heard and tried that you could consider to be a "free flowing, performance muffler", produces a lot of drone noise at highway speeds which can be very annoying.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-23-2011).]

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
i really don't want to cut my trunk wall. what do you think is my best option?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

i really don't want to cut my trunk wall. what do you think is my best option?

That depends what you want to put up with. If you don't care about the drone noise then you can run one of the smaller bodied performance mufflers which you can fit in there without cutting or modifying the trunk. If you are concerned with drone noise and don't want to cut/modify your trunk, and you want to run a performance muffler; about the only thing you can do is go with a setup the routes the exhaust like stock Fiero which means you'll need to get something like the WCF headers and y-pipe. This will allow you to run a catalytic converter a resonator up in front of the cradle and then have the muffler in back. But you will find the stock Fiero exhaust routing scheme limits your options when it comes to what size pipe you can run if ground clearance is a concern.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-23-2011).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ethan, can you edit your link so its not so long? its making the page load up incorrectly. :\ thanks!

i chose a corsa for my setup. ungodly expensive in comparison to whats normally used for these builds. also since these are usually budget builds. thats how mine started. but now its not. i had to cut my trunk out :\ good luck with your choice

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 03-23-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
I removed the long link lol

but I'm not to worried about high way noise I want my car
sound nice and deep. Where I live I always hear these cars that
thier exhaust sounds nice at idle but as soon as they give it gas
the sound goes up in pitch and sounds like a high powered lawn
mower I just don't want that. I also think the engine bay will be cooler
if I don't run the exhaust the stock fiero way, less pipe means less
heat and weight.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just so you guys know, I had a foul up with my web server / domain name so it is going to be about 24 hours or so until my site is back up again. Until then, none of the links to my site are going to work.
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
thats strange, everything on your site is still working for me.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I like the spintec mufflers.
They are 13" long and 4" wide very nice sound(see wcf site) <<hate saying that!
No trunk cutting
I went straight to the factory and got it cheaper than WCF.

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered the flowtech; 3" in, duel 2.5" out. My exhaust is run in the factory location w/ a duel 2" in, single 3" out magnaflow cat. Getting a 3" pipe under the motor required me to redesign the lower motor mount & location. I did NOT want my pipe hanging 2.5 - 3" below the cradle; now it is tucked up nice in that channel between the oil pan and engine cradle; maybe only .5 - .75" will be below...

I am figuring if the flowtech is too loud, I will put a glasspack inline before the muffler or a couple small 8" ones between the muffler and tips... Exhaust tips are the c6 Vett ones...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 03-24-2011).]

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserDirect Link to This Post

wrong link
here it is
http://www.gmtuners.com/Cus...ouse_Fiero/index.htm

Thats what I want!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay