3800 ECM Connector Pin Size by Fiero Owner
Started on: 03-10-2011 08:24 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: ALJR on 11-15-2012 10:26 AM
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what size the connector pins in the ECM plugs for the 3800SC are? I have found the part numbers for the two different size pins. Just wondering what size they are or if it uses both to determine roughly how many I will need to order.

Delphi Micro-Pack 100W Terminal 18ga (PN: 12084912)
Delphi Micro-Pack 100W Terminal 22-20ga (PN: 12084913)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
black88fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
the pins them selves are the same size,the size difference is for the wires, about 75% of the pins are 0.35-0.50mm2 the other 25% are 0.80mm2.

[This message has been edited by black88fiero (edited 03-11-2011).]

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
This is how I originally wanted to do my harness. But the only place that would sell a hundred of them to me was the dealership.
Anybody else required a much larger quantity.
The dealerships wanted something between two and three dollars each.
What? Do they think they're gold plated or something?

It looks like you may have found a supplier. Good job.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

Do they think they're gold plated or something?

Actually they are, believe it or not.

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
I bought mine from Mouser.com. Price wasn't that bad, but you are going to need the crimping tool... The one I borrowed from work was in the $350 range... Pliers and the screwdriver just didn't do it.

If anyone finds a crimping tool cheap please post a link. I wouldn't mind buying one.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Actually they are, believe it or not.

Sorry, my sarcasm was lost on you...
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

I bought mine from Mouser.com. Price wasn't that bad, but you are going to need the crimping tool... The one I borrowed from work was in the $350 range... Pliers and the screwdriver just didn't do it.

If anyone finds a crimping tool cheap please post a link. I wouldn't mind buying one.

I've already purchased the crimper, I got one from ebay. If you just search ebay for the part number there's usually one on there.

Here's a new one for $90.

Delphi 12125080 Micro-pack 100W terminal crimp tool
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

Sorry, my sarcasm was lost on you...

LOL I thought you were serious...
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Ask BMWGURU for his supplier's info or if he can sell them to you. He does the repin method on the wiring, which is the best way... Too bad I didn't think to do that with mine... 200 splices later. (sarcasm) actually I think it's only about 60.
fieroluke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried www.pcsconnectors.com? They have lots of GM connectors and terminals.
I bought an inexpensive crimping tool for $29.95 from www.hipoparts.com, they're on eBay too. Search for the weather pack crimp tool, it works for metripack, etc too. Best $30 I ever spent.

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information
Maroon 87 GT daily driver with Firebird Body Control Module, Power Window Controllers and Dash mounted Scantool/Trip Computer

MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:
I've already purchased the crimper, I got one from ebay. If you just search ebay for the part number there's usually one on there.

Here's a new one for $90.

Delphi 12125080 Micro-pack 100W terminal crimp tool

Ah, that just does the one pin. The one we have at work has sort of a bit that does 3 different ones sizes and you can buy another block to do other sizes. Good find on that one though.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Ah, that just does the one pin. The one we have at work has sort of a bit that does 3 different ones sizes and you can buy another block to do other sizes. Good find on that one though.

This one sounds similar to the one you used. Has multple dies for different crimps.

S And G Tool Aid Quick Change Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit

As for the connectors for my original intention of this thread, I have ordered a bunch from Mouser from the original links I have posted.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Owner (edited 03-13-2011).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
My .02

Mouser actually has the best price when buying in bulk, I searched the web for quite some time trying to find the best price and good availability. And mouser came out on top, plus the shipping was fast.

For a crimping tool, I used a MAC product as recommended by a few of my GM friends that work at a sister dealership. They really like this tool, as it works better and faster than the GM / Kent Moore tool. Plus, it's really easy on the wallet as price is concerned.. -Jason

http://www.mactools.com/pro...-320357-tct1028.aspx
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
I've not seen any gold plated 3800 PCM pins,just silver ones?
Granted i've only been into 3 3800 PCM connectors though,a 99 regal GS,2k camaro and '04 impala.

I use EFIconnection.com for all my wiring/pinning needs,he's a great guy I'm on a couple forums with.
Drop him an email and he can get you what you need i'm sure.
(I believe they are .50 apeice with a 10pc minimum? or thereabouts)
Not sure if this will help,but made this vid recently to help someone out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjRYgoBDFw

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 03-14-2011).]

black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

I've not seen any gold plated 3800 PCM pins,just silver ones?
Granted i've only been into 3 3800 PCM connectors though,a 99 regal GS,2k camaro and '04 impala.

taken right from the link at the top
Series: Micro-Pack Series
Product: Terminals
Contact Plating: Gold
Cable Diameter / Insulation Range: 2.12 mm to 1.96 mm
Contact Material: Phosphor Bronze
Contact Type: Terminal
Current Rating: 7.5 A
Family: Micro-Pack
those cars you listed above use these pins for the pcm connectors

DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Ok,thought you meant from the factory.
I've got to repin a tgp and the 04 also eventually,better start saving now i guess...
coxguy1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coxguy1Send a Private Message to coxguy1Direct Link to This Post
if there is a graybar around your area they usally have that kind of stuff. That is where is get my cable tv, internet, and phone tools from when I lose my company issued ones.

[This message has been edited by coxguy1 (edited 03-14-2011).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Need to place an order; anyone have an aprox. count of each size needed?
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Need to place an order; anyone have an aprox. count of each size needed?

That depends on how many you are repinning... You need to look at the wiring and count which ones you are going to C1 and C2. If you are doing a manual swap you need less pins. I think I ordered 60 of the small ones and 20 of the larger ones, I wanted spares. I dropped a couple on top of the motor, some went under the car bouncing into cracks, half a dozen must have joined the missing socks that my dryer eats... Whatever your count is, add more to it.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

That depends on how many you are repinning... You need to look at the wiring and count which ones you are going to C1 and C2. If you are doing a manual swap you need less pins. I think I ordered 60 of the small ones and 20 of the larger ones, I wanted spares. I dropped a couple on top of the motor, some went under the car bouncing into cracks, half a dozen must have joined the missing socks that my dryer eats... Whatever your count is, add more to it.

Prolly end up repinning them all; but I do understand every swap would be slightly different, because one swap may have EVAP removed etc...

Guess I should grab my notes and start counting

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 11-15-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock