my 3800 swap build by fierofan25
Started on: 01-20-2011 11:39 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: fierofan25 on 01-13-2013 09:30 PM
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I am ready to start my thread on my engine swap. Just have to get a few pictures up.

My car is a black 1988 fiero GT fastback with t-tops and 18" MSW wheels.
I currently have a poorly installed series 1 SC engine installed with a series 2 4t65-e transmission and PCM.

I am currently building my series 2 SC engine that I plan on installing it in the nexted month or so.
The engine has a a thrasher cam installed
extremely ported and polished heads,
SS intercooler.
LS1 throttle body.
bigger valves
Ported and polished lower intake,
3.1 pulley
130# valve springs
you name it, this engine has it.
I have been gathering parts for over a year now, grapping what I could used and buying the rest.

Still need:
low alternator mount
poly mounts for engine and transmission
exhaust work
intercooler heat exchanger
intercooler pump/ and hoses
more money
I might redo the wiring too.
I am sure that I am missing something

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 01-21-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

fierofan25

994 posts
Member since Apr 2007
I am thinking of using this bracket here also. That way I can add two dogbone mounts and use it to for the coil packs. Do you guys see a problem with it. Thanks

ckrummy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyDirect Link to This Post
I don't think there is enough room for one back there, I used the grand prix dogbone bracket moved to the other side.

[This message has been edited by ckrummy (edited 01-21-2011).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You will need to chop up that stock coil back bracket a ton so it will be fairly impossible to do anything mounting wise with it. There is very little room to work with up there, and there is also no easily accessible structural steel up there either.

Who is going to do the tuning on that TEP cam? There are very few people in the country that have ever had any luck with them.
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I hope Darth Fiero will be able to help me with the tune. I plan on loading up the whole car and taking it to him when I am done.
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

fierofan25

994 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Here are some more pictures. we got 5 inches of snow yesterday. Not very good weather to be working on fieros.

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

fierofan25

994 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Also my current set up is for sale. will take 1500$. That includes everything, mounts, wiring, exhaust, transmission, axles., the powertrain. everything except the cradle.

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 01-24-2011).]

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
Just ordered mounts from FieroX. thanks FieroX. Now I just need to found a low mount alternator.
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I also ordered this set up from WCF. I hope It does not take 2 months to get!!

What do you guys think.Lonnie

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 01-24-2011).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
it will take 4-6 months to get. and like 3 for them to process payment.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
yea I waited three months for a couple parts from there, good parts, not to great customer service, not trying to talk bad about the company, like I said good parts, but I will probably never buy from them again
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I know it will be worth the wait. If you can't build your own stuff, there's not many venues to get fabricated parts that are not only well made, but come without forum drama. West coast might be slow, but their product is something I've put my name on a waiting list for, and I can build everything they sell.

By the way, very smart move using a steal dogbone mount. The aluminum dogbone "snapping" issue is the most annoying part of any 3800 swap.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 01-25-2011).]

Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Direct Link to This Post
I must live a charmed life , i have purchased many parts from Chris and Steve. Cant say I ever felt like something took to long, If you ever do start to feel that way Lonnie just give them a call .

-Kemp
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
L67: are you saying you make the same parts as them?
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Yes. The point is, I still order from them, some of their products are a great value. For instance, their stamped polyurethane engine and transmission mounts are well designed and brilliantly priced. If I'm in a rush, I can build my own, but I'd rather wait because they do awesome work, and at a great price. I've also heard a lot about Chris West from the people he knows, and I really applaud his philosophies and business ethics. Chris even walked me entirely through replacing the clutch on the phone one day, back in 2004 - I had ordered an aluminum dogbone from them, he had absolutely no reason to coach me, but he did. I'm a loyal customer. I also hear that the "orders" white board in the shop is never less than half full, they stay relatively busy, so I understand the wait.
dhobbs84sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dhobbs84scSend a Private Message to dhobbs84scDirect Link to This Post
How you doing your low alt bracket? or are you buying it.. if you dont use a/c its REALLY easy to make one yourself
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
well the WCF clutch and flywheel look expensive, is there another place or person you recommend?
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
for clutch, clutchnet. if youre looking for a regular flywheel, try rockauto then take it to a machine shop to be machined.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
which clutch do i use on clutchnet? I cant figure out how to use the website
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Spec Stage 3 and 3+ will fail with anything more than 350 whp. Member grsychckn reported his clutchnet clutch wouldn't hold the torque of his mildly built L67, I'm not familiar with their lineup, perhaps he ordered a lighter duty clutch than what he needed. Read about it here if you want to investigate: link. I'm in the process of building a turbo 3800, and I plan to use a Bully clutch out of Canada, because of recommendation and comparisons to SPEC I've gotten from clubgp. These are power based suggestions, but you'll have some names to compare to West Coast's lineup. Of course there are some costs you won't be able to get around, such as the clutch.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 01-25-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofan25:

I hope Darth Fiero will be able to help me with the tune. I plan on loading up the whole car and taking it to him when I am done.

That should prove to be hilarious.
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Why should that prove to be hilarious?

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

fierofan25

994 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Do you have a picture of the low mount bracket were the A/C goes. thanks

Originally posted by dhobbs84sc:

How you doing your low alt bracket? or are you buying it.. if you dont use a/c its REALLY easy to make one yourself

Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post

As unnecessary as that was, I can't help but be humored.

Good luck with the swap, man. I'm still in the mental preparation stage for the swap, aaand I might be waiting 'til taxes come in.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofan25:

Why should that prove to be hilarious?

I wouldnt be taking a notoriously hard to tune aggressive cam to someone that has never tuned an normal aggressive cam before.

I have always offered mostly free tuning service to any fiero guy that wanted to come to my area, and I have tuned more NIC/TEP/XPZ/IS3 cams than i can remember at this point.
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
The reason is that I have ordered from them in the past(like 3 years ago)when I did my first 3800 swap and It was a complete mess.Sent them 1000$. Took months to get parts and some I never have got,had to send some of it back becouse it was the wrong part. I hope they have gotten there act togather, becouse they do make some nice stuff. also they have already charged my credit card for the part.

Originally posted by Kemp3:

I must live a charmed life , i have purchased many parts from Chris and Steve. Cant say I ever felt like something took to long, If you ever do start to feel that way Lonnie just give them a call .

-Kemp

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 01-25-2011).]

Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post

I wouldnt be taking a notoriously hard to tune aggressive cam to someone that has never tuned an normal aggressive cam before.

I have always offered mostly free tuning service to any fiero guy that wanted to come to my area, and I have tuned more NIC/TEP/XPZ/IS3 cams than i can remember at this point.

Well damn, looks like I'm goin' to Michigan, assuming you're still in the business whenever I get to do the swap.
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I have not made my mine up yet.I am not bashing anyone. I have heard a lot of good thing about Ryan and if he said he could tune it than I believe him. I have also called c-ya racing.com and they said that they have tuned hundreds of 3800's with the thrasher cam. Also there is a guy in columbus,OH that is on the 3800pro forum and he has tuned a few with the cam. Thanks

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
Got my mounts from FieroX today and they look great!!! They look better than WCF mounts. Have not gotten my bracket from WCF yet, hopefully soon.Thanks lonnie

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 01-28-2011).]

black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
lonnie where in ohio you located? im south of cleveland, in the medina area.
PFF
System Bot
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I live it stockport ohio in morgan county
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

fierofan25

994 posts
Member since Apr 2007
looks like you are about 3 hours from me
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
here are some pictures of my low mount I made. I am still waiting on the one from WCF.

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 01-12-2013).]

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

Spec Stage 3 and 3+ will fail with anything more than 350 whp. Member grsychckn reported his clutchnet clutch wouldn't hold the torque of his mildly built L67, I'm not familiar with their lineup, perhaps he ordered a lighter duty clutch than what he needed. Read about it here if you want to investigate: link. I'm in the process of building a turbo 3800, and I plan to use a Bully clutch out of Canada, because of recommendation and comparisons to SPEC I've gotten from clubgp. These are power based suggestions, but you'll have some names to compare to West Coast's lineup. Of course there are some costs you won't be able to get around, such as the clutch.

before you buy the Bully clutch get in touch with me i may be able to get it cheaper, I was looking into the same clutch and i have a friend who gets a great discount on them here in Canada, I have driven a few 3.8 turbo and SC with the bully clutch htey are a bit grabby but WOT never a problem with sliping

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
could you please go high jack someone's thread besides mine.thanks

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 02-06-2011).]

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierofan25 (edited 03-04-2011).]

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
So I called WCF and they said that they would refund my money and that it should take a day or two. They also said that they sent out my arm-torque mount kit. So good so far, we will see.Thanks
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I am going to install my 3800SC series 2 this weekend. I have the engine and cradle out right now. I sent my PCM to a guy in columbus,ohio he cut me a good deal. As soon as I get it up and running I am going to take the car to him for a dyno tune. I can not wait till it is up and running. Thanks Lonnie
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock