Started on: 01-04-2005 11:01 PM
Replies: 301
Last post by: GSXRBOBBY on 07-21-2012 01:33 AM
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to see what year and model throttle cable you guys are using for the Northstar?
IP: Logged
aaron88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post
Stock Fiero. It's a bit tight but works well.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Aaron, 4 or 6 will work?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:
Also looking for a few good pictures of how the other coolant hoses are run!!!!!! You know so the heater core is mounted in the flow line?

The left coolant pipe on the Fiero chassis goes to the upper coolant connection on the Northstar. I put an inline filler neck there. I have a P/N for a hose that works almost as though made for it. I'll get that to you later. The right coolant pipe crosses the cradle and connects to the lower coolant connection on the engine (the connection with the thermostat). Where it crosses the cradle is an excellent place to install oil/water heat exchanger. Since yours is an '88, your heater core return T's into the right coolant pipe. The heater core supply comes from the heater line connection on the rear end of the water manifold. Cap off the heater core return that is near the two main connections. This is the easy way to set it up, but you don't get heater core circulation until the thermostat opens.

To set the heater core up properly, you'll need to cap off the heater core return nipple on your coolant pipe and swap the heater return from an '85/6, or modify your '88 pipe. In either case, just mate to the stock Northstar pipes.

Edited 'cause I am one confused mofo...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-01-2005).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I shouldn't need an inline filler if I use the stock Cadillac overflow tank and if its mounted at the highest point of the system I thought? And what nipple are you talking about capping off, I really haven't looked yet but will soon?
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
this may be the nipple that Will was referring to:
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Not to "jack" this thread, but why do the 88's do that. What is gained/lost by "T"ing the line like that. What would be the alternitive. Would that line have run up to the manifold and help the heater or by running into the other tube is it more efficiant.

I had this issue with my DOHC 3.4 so seeing this is interesting.

Rob

------------------

88 TTop coupe (CJB #95), 96 3.4DOHC/5 speed in progress

Back from the latest trip for Uncle Sam. Maybe I'll get that motor swap done before the summer is over.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

this may be the nipple that Will was referring to:

I now see what your talking about, the heater core hoses connect here on the motor instead of the side of the coolant tube as pictured, the split on that hose/line needs to be capped off. I am not even sure where the other stock heater core hose connects. But I guess I really don't need to know I have a Northstar.

(A) Returns from the heater core-(heater inlet hose)
(B) Goes to the heater core-(heater outlet hose)
(C) Goes to the surge tank "overflow"

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Not to "jack" this thread, but why do the 88's do that. What is gained/lost by "T"ing the line like that. What would be the alternitive. Would that line have run up to the manifold and help the heater or by running into the other tube is it more efficiant.

I had this issue with my DOHC 3.4 so seeing this is interesting.

Rob

Don't worry about it, thats why I am spending all this time making this thread. So I can help pass along info. and trade info. on this. Well....also to show off a little bit!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well I got some work done over the weekend, as always not as much as I was hoping. Mounted the overflow tank, need to finish the brackets and redid the seats with Mr. Mikes.
Here is the Mr. Mike seats done, the extra is KissMySSFiero's seat

Here is the before bottom half of one of my seats, you can see it needed to be done

Here is a better shot of Joes seat

Here is a picture of me doing the seats here at the house

And here they are done

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 06-05-2005).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Also today I was able to get the over flowtank mounted were I wanted it

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
We had alot of thunderstorms come through over the weekend and I guess we got to much rain. So I guess I will have some extra time today to get a few things done on the car. I need to figure out just what I need to do for fuel lines and coolant lines. Also when we did our first test fit we marked up some of the things I painted so I need to fix those. Also I misplaced the bracket with the small pulley for the water pump so I need to go find one.

Anyway....thanks again for the support and good words and I hope you continue to watch.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
nice work!
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I did alot of reading and looking up info. to find out my thoughts were right. GM parts ar GM parts, what I mean was I found out a few sizes for the Fiero and thought with the Northstar also made by GM they would continue the same sizes and they are.
Radiator hoses:
1.25" or 1/4" Fiero
1.25" upper Caddy
1.53" lower Caddy

Heater Hose:
.61" or 5/8" from pipe 2 to pipe 3
.75 or 3/4" Fiero
.75 Cadillac

Fuel lines:
.375 X M16-1.50 Fiero
.375 or 3/8" Cadillac

I have desided to not use steel line so I have more room to play with. I am going to use a braided stainless steel hose with a pressure style worm gear or some say hose clamp.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

nice work!

Thanks but I would not be able to leave it that way if the motor didn't hide most of the brackets, they look a little cheap but are going to do the trick.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Been following your thread, nice work so far. Like the Mr.Mikes seats as well.

Only 1 suggestion, bigger pictures Hard to see some of those small details, especially your engine mounts.

Levi

Strange Brew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Strange BrewSend a Private Message to Strange BrewDirect Link to This Post
Real nice work.....looking forward to seeing the finished project.

------------------
88 Fiero GT
85 Fiero SE
What’s Behind You Is Of Little Consequence

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Been following your thread, nice work so far. Like the Mr.Mikes seats as well.

Only 1 suggestion, bigger pictures Hard to see some of those small details, especially your engine mounts.

Levi

Sorry I have them as large as the PIP lets me and that depends on what camera I use, if you have any questions or would like to see something closer e-mail. If I can help by taken a better picture of something I will.

Originally posted by Strange Brew:

Real nice work.....looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Thanks alot, always good to hear feed back, even better when its good feed back...haha

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 06-08-2005).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2005 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well I just sent out my Northstar harness to Will here on the forum and he is going to completely go through it and redo it for me. I need to order some fuel lines and a few other hoses, other then that I am in good shape so far. I was going to try to get the car running for the Auburn show July 2nd weekend. But as of now I just hope to have it done running by the end of July.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2005 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well it has been a few weeks since I have been able to got on line. I ended up moving this weekend so the project has been put onto hold for a short time. So I hope to be getting on here more shortly but time is limited for now. Talk to you guys soon and hope everyone reading this thread is having a good summer!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2005 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like all is good. It is getting pretty hot around here so I have not been getting much done either.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
We now have internet working here at the house so if I missed an e-mail or a P.M. in the last month sorry. The 88 STS project is still on hold and will be for awhile as we move in.
Also, I have a new e-mail address 219customs@sbcglobal.net

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Love your thread! I am going to be doing a N* on one of my Fieros and this thread is very helpful, especially if I do one of my 88's. I have just skimmed over your thread so far, so I am just wondering if you had to shift the motor/trans over to the driver side at all or if its in the stock position.I did notice that you have cut a window out of your passenger side strut tower for clearance
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have tried to keep it in the stock location as much as possible just so I don't have to use aftermarket axles. Plus the trans. does allow much room on the driverside. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help when I can.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
NEW e-mail address 219customs@sbcglobal.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well in the last 2 months the only thing I have done to the car was move it to the new place I am living. Over the last weekned I moved a few things around in the garage to make more room and I bought some move lights. I hope to finish things up out there today since I am not working today. And I hope to start picking at the car in a very slow pace, money has become tight since me and Ashley have set our wedding date (June 10th, 2006).
So I hope I can still get some work done here and there and have it running some year. Really the goal is to get it running and drive it a few times before winter and then pull it all back out and have a friend rebuild the motor over the winter in time for Spring.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
A week and a half ago up at Fieroroma I had a couple people ask what was going on with the swap and I had to tell them the good news After spending alot of money on something else that was needed, now a wedding in next June, and I don't want to rent an apartment much longer. The car has been put on hold, its going to a friends place for storage, I will pick at a few things here and there but for the most part its on hold.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say it but I see the project getting put on hold again. I am getting married in June 2006 and I am looking into building a house or buying one the fall season to follow. I talked with a friend and it looks like the car is going to be taken to his house for storage sometime soon. I guess toys do take second second string in life.....growing up sucks!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
NEW e-mail address 219customs@sbcglobal.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well I am laid off for the winter now so having some extra time is going to allow me to get a few things done here on the car, can't really do much with the motor since I am now limited with time but I have alot of extra items I have bought for the car that I can now play with, such as the inner being cleaned up and install a few new toys. So I guess as I play with the 88 STS I will show what has been done. Talk to you guys soon.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
bump
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Thanks motoracer838,
I haven't really done much other than remove some of the interior, I'm going to start looking around for grey interior plastic parts here soon and sell off the 88 beechwood tan interior parts that came with the car. I did get a grey dash already and have not desided on just what color combo I am going to use. Thinking of a black and grey, just not sure whats going to get what color. Plus I need to finish redoing the headliner, but I was thinking of doing something alittle different.

I have bought a few other parts for the car that I will be installing here soon, just can't buy much more since most of the money coming in is going to the wedding right now.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well I said I was going to get a few minor things done on the car, however I have been working my butt off at my parents house redoing their kitchen so time has not allowed me to do so, infact I don't even get on here more then 2 days a weeks now. I should be done there and have some time for the 88 STS in a week or so, that is if I don't go back to work with the weather getting warmer here everyday.
RipJaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RipJawSend a Private Message to RipJawDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well, things have again been put off for a few months, I have quit my job and bought a couple of dump trucks. And I am starting a trucking company using the union hall I have belonged to for a few years here. Will update when something changes. Thanks for asking!!!
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well....nothing new with the 88 STS but I do have some new info. I quit my job and bought a semi truck and dump trailer. Through the union I belong to they are getting my work on the highways in and out of Chicago. I couldn't pass up the money and its going to along me to ba able to build a new house and 50' X 70' pole barn for toys and 3 trucks. I am slowing going to take over my fathers trucking since his hips are getting bad and need to be replaced.

So long story short....my life is becoming rewritten. I am going to have this car complete this winter one way or another.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Life happens! I had to bite the bullet and stop all projects, several years ago and build my house and garage, shop space and the old house were just killing me.

Hope to see some progress whenever it happens. Cheers beers n Gears. Joe
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
So, um, you got it running yet? Going to drive it to your honeymoon?
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by John Boelte:

So, um, you got it running yet? Going to drive it to your honeymoon?

Just waiting on a few parts, harness, rad. hoses and a fuel line
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well the wedding is over and I moved a few things around in the garage and looking to get a few smaller things done on the car this weekend. Most likely going to do some interior work.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I'm somewhat getting small things done here but room is limited. I have made somewhat of a deal with a friend and maybe taken it there to get some of the larger work done.
Will here from the forum should have the wire harness completed in a few weeks.
Other than that been really busy at work.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
ok bobby, it is a race to see if you or I will get one of these running first!
HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok Bobby I've had enough of your stalling! If you don't get that car done soon I'm gana demand that you sell it BACK to me!

[This message has been edited by HitesFiero (edited 08-17-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock