Started on: 01-04-2005 11:01 PM
Replies: 301
Last post by: GSXRBOBBY on 07-21-2012 01:33 AM
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Don't you wish they'd just @#%#@ing leave you alone?
We have whiny cry-baby neighbors who don't appreciate our car habit...

I heard that!!!

IP: Logged
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well most of you guys have seen them on the brake upgrade thread, but I thought I would add them here also. I have put together a 12" Corvette brake upgrade package for the 88 Fieros. We have got just over 20 people involved and I hope to see them finished in a few weeks. I know I want this over with and to have them on my car. There was some talk about the brackets I am having made up are close to a same design, but I don't really think that I am taking away from anybody elses sales. Nobody else is selling cross drilled rotors with there package and almost all of my sales are with the cross drilled rotors.

Here are a few pictures I took the other day from the machine shop:

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well...I had my 86 GT loss oil pressure last night and it started knocking so its died. I also had room open up here and now have the garage space so I am going to jump on getting work done on the 88 GT.
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Well...I had my 86 GT loss oil pressure last night and it started knocking so its died. I also had room open up here and now have the garage space so I am going to jump on getting work done on the 88 GT.

yikes! that sounds like my day. everything going just fine then the honda just died... timing belt went awol. i just can't understand how it could fail with only 170,000 miles on it. i am at least the third owner so who really knows if it was changed before or not... now you have more incentive to get cracken!

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
My best friend went car shopping that day, looking for a car over his Blazer that is good on gas. He is looking at a Honda, so I call another friend that works in a import shop and had nothing but good things to say about getting a Honda other then when bought new, start off with syn. oil, change the timing belt and water pump every 60K and change plugs and wires every other time you change the belt and the car should run forever.

Yes, I was pist off when the car went south on me....but all in all its putting me in my place of what needs to get done and when. So tonight I am going to hit the ground running on the mock up and get the cradle cleaned back up.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2005 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I got some work done today, not as much as I was hoping but I got the front cross member removed and the old welds cleaned up. I need to remove the old stock V-6 motor mount and have that area of the cradle cleaned up since I will be use a good part of that area for my custom motor mount.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2005 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
As you can see on the cradle needs alot more sanding, I am going to be completely cleaning the the rust off, it should be easy since it was done just a few months ago but the cradle was used here and was out side for a short time on another car.

Well a few weeks ago I got the guns I ordered and have been able to play a small amount with them on a few extra body panels we had around here. They so far seem nice and were easy to get used to, I also got my new tool box to replace my stainless steel box. I got the box from Costco, "everything over than computer, Costco has a life time warranty", it has roller drawers and its a nice built 41" tall box for $750.00

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well now that we have the brake upgrade almost done and I have the room here I got started on the motor swap. I got the front cross member cut off and have the motor hung over the cradle and am getting ready to make up the mounts.

Its close but will come up about 1/2" in this corner.

The axles pathway

This was the first front trans mount I made up, I desided to do something different so it will need to be extended over 3". Oh well....

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well I came up with an idea today. I placed the motors oil pan on #2, 3/4" thick pieces of wood and leveled the motor. I then made sure the cradle was under it and it was level.

Then I made up a wooden cross member to give me an idea of how high it was going to be needed to be mounted to the side rails of the cradle after its mounted to the stock Northstar mount. I then got some yarn and stung them across to help give me a better eyes view of what pathway is needed and to help me see and line things up compaired to the Caddy mount to the cradle sides.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Yes I know it maybe a little much, but I am going to try to do this as best as I can to have this look stock and bolt right up without any troubles. I think I may have enough later in the swap?

P.S. Had a phone call put in to Will and I would again like to thank him for his help and support!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

poncho_101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for poncho_101Send a Private Message to poncho_101Direct Link to This Post
I am both shocked and amazed with the miticulus way you are building this car. You have both my respect and admiration. You are doing what many on here only dream about. I applaud you. Keep up the beautiful work.
PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by poncho_101:

I am both shocked and amazed with the miticulus way you are building this car. You have both my respect and admiration. You are doing what many on here only dream about. I applaud you. Keep up the beautiful work.

WOW thanks!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well its 2 A.M. and I can not sleep, I have been in the garage all day working on painting brackets for the 88 brake upgrade. I also started the mock up of the coil side motor mount. I can tell you this, nobody is using the same mount I am for this corner of the motor!!! It only took me over 4 hours to think this through and I think its going to be great. Strong, yet open enough for the axle to be able to travel. With this mount there and as strong as I think it is going to be I will not need a dog bone for the upper half of the motor. Now I just need to start cutting steel plate to make this thing. I will take and post pictures soon. Next I need to start looking over on the otherside of the motor.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

kmunson56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kmunson56Send a Private Message to kmunson56Direct Link to This Post
Bobby,
I just recently got the chance to get a northstar at a very reasonable price of $700.00. Needs the alternator and a/c compressor but that shouldn't be a problem. My question is what flywheel did you order? I went to the site via the link you had in an earlier post and only saw the Fiero flywheel. Did you have to special order it with the northstar bolt pattern?
Thanks!
Kris
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
No, its a different order, call or write Mr. Norton at Spec and he can help you out with a custom made aluminum flywheel and a clutch. I am going to be using the Spec stage 3 K, its strong like the stage 3 but is easier to drive.

Also Charlie, I did not have time to take pictures today, I just got done cleaning the garage and I am tired and going to go fall asleep in the shower now. Thanks for call today!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I made the mock up motor mount that is going to be under the coils in that corner of the motor and mounted to the cradle using a 4X4 Chevy full size trans. mount.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
man - you should submit that for a miller time commercial - the many uses of miller - hotrodding a car using miller boxed for mockups.. i love it
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
WOW, I almost had a heart attack!
I can't believe it, you and I think so alike!
I made my bracket the same way as you, but I was so concerned about the weight of it, I chose to trim it as much as possible without making it weak (if you know what I mean?).

BTW is that big upside-down "L" shape part of it?
Man Try to make a small bracket to work as a small dog bone (you can mounted on the side of the cradle and bolted to the head, (to keep the weight down!) That looks too big and heavy.
Keep in mind that this engine alone adds another 90 Lbs, so making everything small, but strong is a key to this engine swap.

When I get home I will send you some pics (sorry I haven't). BTW Congratulations on your work!!

Take care!
JG

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

THE BEAST

1177 posts
Member since Dec 2000
With the difference that I'm not using that big L piece on it.

But the principle is the same!

JG

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
You might be a redneck........
PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

You might be a redneck........

If you live in Indiana and only talk about going to back to Flordia and live like white trash.

Ya the cardboard the box is made from is stiff and easier to work with.

The "L" shaped is large enough to help give it extra support, but is made small enough so the axle can be removed without removing the mount. I just didn't think that the plate connected to the motor and a small weld along the 90 degree angle mount that is bolted to the rubber mount would be enough or strong enough.
I don't mind the extra weight, and I most of the time like to over do stuff, I rather it not brake.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 09-22-2005).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
it's amazing how much fun you can have with some metal, something to cut it, a welder and a grinder. I am very interested to see how it looks bolted up.

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 04-13-2005).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I hope to have alot done this weekend now I have things roling with the brake upgrade.
P.S. I will never do that again, what a pain in the ass and talk about time involved!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well over the weekend I was able to get all the brackets cuts out and cut the front cross member. I just need to get a friend over that is a welder to get everything placed and put together. I took a few pictures but the cameras disc lost them. I will try again tonight to shot some pictures. I almost feel like I am getting close enough to get happy (as far as having it mounted)that is. I still have to run the coolant hoses and redo alot of the wiring.

Edit for new info., I didn't have a friend come over. But another friend bought a 110V Lincoln and I used that and did it myself, so far so good. I am going to mount the motor back up sometime this week if I get time and I am going to take a few pictures here soon.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 05-02-2005).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
My motor mounts, they are mostly made with 1/4" steel plate. Some are just a bit thinner plate.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Yes I know, It took me a few days. Sorry I have been really busy now that spring has got here.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Yes this is going to be more then what I need and alot more heavier then what I was hoping but I know its going to be strong enough.

This mount is not complete as you can see, it is going to look alot alike the other trans mount I made and it as you can see will mount the same way. I will be make a few changes to it and will show that after its completed.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
The mounts are going to be painted here soon when I have time and I am going to POR-15 the cradle so if anybody is looking for or needing close up pictures of any of it ask soon. Well not that soon, I hope to get to it this weekend if I get enough time.

By the way guys I have got a few PM's, e-mails, and even a couple of phone calls. Thanks for the good words!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I have a feeling that even though your mounts may be heavy, it still looks a lot lighter than mine feels..
that looks like it should be plenty rigid and still on rubber.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I am really hoping so, I thought long and hard on the best way for me to place this motor on rubber.
Also since I had to go out of town last weekend I hope to get alot done this weekend.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
As you have seen I have most of the motor mounts made and welded up, I was able to put a small amount of time aside over the weekend and did some painting and got the cradle all cleaned up, removed some splatter from the welds, etc...

I painted the cradle a cast iron grey and the mounts a black with metillac.

This trans mount is not done just yet, I need to mount the motor back on and then weld it up.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Here are a few pictures of the front of the cradle with the new cross member installed.

Here is a little closer veiw to show just where the cross member was welded to help any else get an idea where to start lining things up.

Here is the motor mount that goes under the coils of the Northstar, looks alot better then I was hoping after it got painted. Before it looked like something MadMax would have used.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Here are the parts cut out and ready for the trans mount posted above.

And the last picture to show just how much time I used cleaning, snading and grinding the cradle clean and smooth.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
wow thats clean

I didn't go that far.. and i'm glad - because after I did some grinding near by the dust rusted on the paint and discolored it.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well we had a really nice day here today, but I wasn't called into work. So I got a few things done on the car today.
I removed the trans., I had the trans mounted before to make the mounts but didn't have the flywheel in, since this is going to be the last time I am mounting the motor I am finishing everything up now.

I installed the Spec clutch and aluminum flywheel

The flywheel lines up really nice as you can see.

Also since I am not going to use cruise control on this little Hot Rod, I removed the cruise servo and wow did it open up alot more room for when its in the car.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Also since this is going to be the last time (I hope) I mount the motor to the cradle I cleaned up a few other things and painted a few more. I already had the exhaust off so I got some 1200 degree black paint and put on a few coats. If its lasts it lasts, if it doesn't it will still look better then what it did.

I also removed and replaced the valve covers since it did have a small amount of oil drop around them, and since they were off I painted them with the black metillac paint.

Coil side

Also got the replacement power steering bracket mounted that Charlie made me (Thanks again Snoopy) I only had to make 2 trips to get the right size belt and pulley. (I will list the sizes of both later)
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Also I didn't really show what I was doing for the Northstar motor mount, I just drilled two holes that will match up to the exhaust manifold motor mount.

The bottom was cut open a little extra so a socket can fit. I then added a small strip of steel to give a small extra support.

If you remember from before I said I was changing the interior from it stock beechwood tan interior to a black and grey combo. I have heard how hard it was to find good beechwood so I removed it so someone that likes it can buy it.

I just need to pull the dash now.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
wow! a map pocket door that is not warped!

lookin good bobby!

I am just curious about how you plan to add oil? I don't know if the northstar oil fill is as hidden as mine.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
It is going to be right next to the firewall like yours and I am going to look it over after I get it in the car so I can pick an easy spot or easier spot to add oil after I can see it in there.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page