4.9 conversion radiator hose by 87convert
Started on: 03-06-2012 10:06 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 03-09-2012 12:08 PM
87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
If you have an 88 GT with 4.9 cadillac, please let me know what you are using for the lower pipe to engine radiator hose. I had a stock 88 V6 part in place but now I need to replace it. The GM stock part (10120079) is no longer available and I can't find a part locally that looks like it will work.

Rolland
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
4cyl hose for coolant tube to water pump matches perfect. I used one from my 88 4cyl. I also used the 2nd smaller outlet from the coolant tube to run the heater core line along the passengers side towards rear. (Store bought hose off reel cut to length)

You could also use the outlet on the water pump elbow instead of the coolant tube if you like for running the heater core. I blocked mine off.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam (212,000 Miles)
1992 Honda Accord LX (220,000 Miles) 5spd

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I used a NAPA 8448.
It's the stock V6 replacement. You'll have to use a long clamp (preferably) or a long zip tie to pull the hose away from the A/C pulley.

I don't know anything about the 4 cylinder hose, but if it places the hose further from the pulley, so much the better.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I used the 88 4 Cyl hose. I had to trim some off so it wasn't squshed up.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-07-2012).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:
You could also use the outlet on the water pump elbow instead of the coolant tube if you like for running the heater core. I blocked mine off.

Important!!

For anyone with an 87 or an 88, you'll need to block off one of the heater hose fittings. Either the one on the right side pipe, or the one on the water pump housing.
DON'T just buy a rubber cap and clamp it off. They will deteriorate fairly quickly and can blow off at a really inopportune time. I've seen it happen. (Fortunately, it wasn't mine.) It was quite spectacular.
I have a rubber cap on my water pump fitting, but I filled the fitting with JB weld and let it cure before I clamped it on. (This was with the pump housing removed from the car.) I don't think it's going anywhere.

I don't think Arte444's is going anywhere, either.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-08-2012).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Important!!

For anyone with an 87 or an 88, you'll need to block off one of the heater hose fittings. Either the one on the right side pipe, or the one on the water pump housing.
DON'T just buy a rubber cap and clamp it off. They will deteriorate fairly quickly and can blow off at a really inopportune time. I've seen it happen. (Fortunately, it wasn't mine.) It was quite spectacular.
I have a rubber cap on my water pump fitting, but I filled the fitting with JB weld and let it cure before I clamped it on. (This was with the pump housing removed from the car.) I don't think it's going anywhere.

...or just connect it up to the fitting on the water pump as well...
87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the NAPA part is the right one. Ordered from their web site. Thanks!

Rolland
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Important!!

Mines a hose and bolt heh. It has been there for a couple years though.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam (212,000 Miles)
1992 Honda Accord LX (220,000 Miles) 5spd

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
...or just connect it up to the fitting on the water pump as well...

87-88 have two hose fittings and one return hose that comes from the front.
You have to cap off one fitting or the other. What are you suggesting?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

87-88 have two hose fittings and one return hose that comes from the front.
You have to cap off one fitting or the other. What are you suggesting?

Granted it has been some time, but the water pump has 2 inlets as well - or am I remembering something wrong?

There should be the rad feed hose, the heater core feed hose and the return hose (which splits at the back before the water pump).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 03-09-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock