3.1 problems by Shonyman32
Started on: 02-19-2012 09:54 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: trotterlg on 02-20-2012 11:20 AM
Shonyman32

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
My dad and I are doing the 3.1 bottom end with fiero top end swap.
We already bought a spare 2.8 which so far has checked out to be good, and bought a 3.1 block, crank, the pistons with the lightning bolt, new lifters, new cam and a timing set, but we dont know what year the block is so we cant buy parts for it. We need a re ring kit and other misc. parts but we cant find out what re ring kit to buy. Does anybody know how to find out the blocks year? We called GM's help service hotline and didn't get anything from them so were kind of stuck. I need to get this running because my 2.8 spun a bearing and isn't driveable right now and would like to get it on the road asap.

Any help is appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
The 3.1 and 2.8 have the same bore diameter. If the 3.1 block was origionally an aluminum head engine you will need to to change to iron head pistons to get the proper compression ratio. You may have more to figure out than you think. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 02-19-2012).]

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post

trotterlg

1378 posts
Member since Aug 2011
I just figured out what you were saying, I think the lighting bolt on the pistons were only on pistons made for the 2.8, I think they have the wrist pin in the wrong place for use with a 3.1 crank and rods. Larry
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
i have to know what year the block is first to know if it had aluminum or iron heads because i have no idea which it had
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
If it is a 3.1 block and, if you look at it from the rear, the starter is on the left side, then it was a FWD engine. Does it have roller lifters or flat lifters? The rings are the same for either, they just have to fit the pistons that fit the engine. Larry
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
It has flat lifters
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
And which side is the starter on?
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
the starter is on the left side of the engine, but does it make a difference what year the block is? Because on ebay the re ring kits look year specific?
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
The ring kits depend on the pistons you use, not what year the block is. Larry

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock