Moving- Fiero Hauling Suggestions Needed by sjmaye
Started on: 02-12-2012 02:44 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-15-2012 04:38 PM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Moving from Nashville TN to Appleton WI. Checked on car trailer from UHaul. AT $400 one way it seemed high. Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jwct7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Direct Link to This Post
store it till u can go back and drive it yourself. Enjoy the whole experience. I drove mine last April down to San Antonio from Reno, NV, it took 3 days, 2 hotel nights and a lot of fun. Otherwise you have no choice except the trailer.
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
Yay!!!! Another Fiero in the area.

See this thread.... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081969.html

When you moving up here?

Steve
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Ask Blackrams for delivery cost to Wi.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
OOO welcome to the neighborhood! I will live 5 minutes from u and far as the u haul get a hold of Appleton radiator on Appleton road in Menasha, he has Uhauls for cheap I think it costed me a few hundred bucks when I drove down to Tennessee to pick up my corvette. if I were you id rent one of the u haul box trucks big enough to fit the car in and then pack all your stuff around it, on top of it and in it and save a trailer fee. A few guys on the forum have done that I have read.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 02-12-2012).]

ElTee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElTeeSend a Private Message to ElTeeDirect Link to This Post
You can rent a towing dolly instead of a full trailer, if its an automatic you just need to tow it backwards. I towed mine from Maryland to FL 1k miles backwards, no problems. Just have to tell uhaul its something other than a Fiero that you are towing.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I have already started work at my new job in Kaukauna. I work in both our Menasha and Kaukauna facilities. Traveling back and forth each week between Appleton and Nashville.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Ramblin' Man cruizin down Highway 41......

You may be too young for that reference......sorry.

Do yourself a favor and if you rent something to haul your Fiero, tell them exactly what you are doing. If they have a problem with Fieros, you want to know about it before there is trouble, and not after....and you can find someone else....don't get in a position where they can blame you if something goes wrong.

Lord!....I was born a ramblin' man.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-12-2012).]

tampalinc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked Budget and Penske truck rentals? The last three times I moved FL>TN, TN>KY, KY>MO, U-Haul was a lot more expensive than Budget or Penske.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

I have already started work at my new job in Kaukauna. I work in both our Menasha and Kaukauna facilities. Traveling back and forth each week between Appleton and Nashville.

What are you communting in? Can you tow with it?
If you can tow like a local haul it costs only by the day.
Leave WI on Friday and return on Monday is only 3 days. What, 150 bucks for a trailer + tax? Even less for a dolly.

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 02-13-2012).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I think I will just do as one had recommended. Let the weather clear and drive it up. May be a nice drive!
PFF
System Bot
gold430

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gold430Send a Private Message to gold430Direct Link to This Post
if you DO haul it by trailer, don't do what a friend of mine did - stop 1/2 way to his place in AZ & note that the sunroof had vanished along the way...

I think was because someone (aka me) didn't lock it before he took off

Enjoy your drive!
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ElTee:

Just have to tell uhaul its something other than a Fiero that you are towing.

Originally posted by Gall757:

Do yourself a favor and if you rent something to haul your Fiero, tell them exactly what you are doing. If they have a problem with Fieros, you want to know about it before there is trouble, and not after....and you can find someone else....don't get in a position where they can blame you if something goes wrong.

For those that don't know UHaul has no clue what a Fiero is. If you rent a dolly from them you have to tell them it's an 84 Fiero otherwise they think every other year has the lower (AERO) package like a GT, Indy, etc. Then they will also tell you that you can't put the rear wheels on the dolly. I tried arguing with them over this more than once. I was told...remove the driveshaft (ummm, I don't have one), remove the axles (ummm, if I do that the bearings will fall apart and the wheels will depart the vehicle), the heaviest part of the car needs to be on the dolly (ummm, It is!)

The only safe way to move a Fiero with UHaul equipment is with the full car trailer. Load it facing forwards and use the tire straps at the front of the trailer on the front tires. A Fiero is short enough that even with it loaded front first there is still plenty of tongue weight.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Ramblin' Man cruizin down Highway 41......

You may be too young for that reference......sorry.

Lord!....I was born a ramblin' man.....

I wasn't too young. That song came out the year I graduated from high school... 1973. I was still driving my parent's '67 Chev way back then.

Great song...

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:
For those that don't know UHaul has no clue what a Fiero is. If you rent a dolly from them you have to tell them it's an 84 Fiero otherwise they think every other year has the lower (AERO) package like a GT, Indy, etc.

Hmm.. I wonder if I lucked out. Back in the late 90s I had to tow my 84 on a UHaul dolly. (Timing gear for the win!)
I don't remember it being any issue, but maybe it's just because it was an 84 that they didn't complain about it. Or maybe they've gotten stupider in the last 10 years.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I think I will just do as one had recommended. Let the weather clear and drive it up. May be a nice drive!

Yes. and the way I would do it is to take US-41 the entire trip! Freeways are OK, but you really miss a lot...like Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and all those little towns....Maybe you can get a few more Fieros to join you!.....sounds like a good time.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
What is the cost of gas to drive the Fiero, vs renting a trailer? I would look at the economics.... and if the vehicle is ready for a long drive.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Direct Link to This Post
Have to also think of reliability, if you drive it and it breaks down the total travel cost will be much more than $400. Also have to think if you really want to add extra miles to your car all at one time. I'd get a full trailer.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - Stock (new to me)
98 GTP - CAI, ZZP 304 3" DP, 304 PLOG, 3.5", Overkill PCM, PRJ wires, Autolite 605s, 180*, STB, Alt rewire, Projectors, 6000k HID, 12" Brakes, GMPP

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

OOO welcome to the neighborhood! I will live 5 minutes from u and far as the u haul get a hold of Appleton radiator on Appleton road in Menasha, he has Uhauls for cheap I think it costed me a few hundred bucks when I drove down to Tennessee to pick up my corvette. if I were you id rent one of the u haul box trucks big enough to fit the car in and then pack all your stuff around it, on top of it and in it and save a trailer fee. A few guys on the forum have done that I have read.

I was going to suggest that also, but how do you get the car up there? I was thinking of renting one of the biggest ones and using it like a shop, but I haven't thought of a convenient way to get the car in and out.

Jake_2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_2m4Send a Private Message to Jake_2m4Direct Link to This Post
You could look at buying a tow dolly and selling it later. I bought one for less than 400 off craiglist before. Make sure it has good tires (I even bought a spare tire) and the bearings aren't shot.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Thats exactly what Id do too. I bought an almost brand new dolly for $400. A guy used it once behind his motor home to tow a car to Fl. I kept it for years and got plenty of use hauling my own cars all over the place. I never had a single problem. I sold it when I didnt need it any more for $450. The only thing like mentioned, is drive wheels have to be on the dolly. Ive known a lot of people here that went to UHaul and none would rent them one to pull a Fiero, myself included. Thats the reason I bought my own.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock