Shifter console question by fyrehazrd
Started on: 02-09-2012 10:24 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 02-10-2012 03:46 PM
fyrehazrd

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
okay i just got my 5 speed 86 gt and it was missing the middle bezel shifter boot and the surrounding trim, so ive acquired all these parts and where looking for screw holes to keep them down. at the moment how it sets it just slides back and forth and the shifter plate just flops right off. if i need to grab some pics tomorrow of what i mean ill do that since i know i suck at explaining items on a car.

Thanks, Wes
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
The bezel is glued to the vinyl trim and the whole thing is bolted down thru the holes in the ash trays
Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

The bezel is glued to the vinyl trim and the whole thing is bolted down thru the holes in the ash trays

Actually under the ash trays in holes in the plastic frame.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
Actually the shift plate and the shift surround (which is the vinyl part) are supposed to be a one-piece assembly. In one of GM's most dumb-ass moves, they are originally held together with some teeny-tiny plastic pins or titties that are on the underside of the shift plate. They originally went through some equally teen-tiny holes in the shift surround and then were heat staked to retain them. Most of the time during assembly, the titties missed the hole in the shift surrond, but they got heat staked anyway which results in the parts BARELY being attached to each other. Over time, everything breaks free and you get to where we are today. I've been working on a fix for this for a LONG time.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
i just drilled holes and bolted it together... works fine just be sure to use nylocks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock