4.9 rebuild by Sparkys 88GT
Started on: 02-04-2012 02:43 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: FriendOfYours on 02-06-2012 11:07 PM
Sparkys 88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sparkys 88GTSend a Private Message to Sparkys 88GTDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone. Well I have a 4.9 from a 92 Eldorado that the valves were bad. When the heads were pulled three of the bolts pulled the threads from the block. Now before everyone starts attacking me for my choice of swap material can anyone help with the helicoil or timesert install. I have looked up the kits that are for the 12 x 1.75 x 33mm insert and the cost as much as the engine did in the first place. Since there is alot of work going into installing this engine I want to be able to install a fresh rebuilt engine. I am located in Orlando Florida area. If anyone knows of a shop that could repair the pulled threads or knows of a cheap used kit that I could purchase/borrow I would greatly appreciate it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
If you don't already have alot of work done to that block already, I would personally just find myself another 4.9, and heat up the area of the threads before removing the head bolts to help prevent threads from pulling out. I haven't looked into inserts like that, and even if you found an insert, you have to make your own tools pretty much to be able to reach down that far into the "channel" and drill it/tap it etc.
Sparkys 88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sparkys 88GTSend a Private Message to Sparkys 88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well i have alot invested I this engine so I want to keep it. I can't believe there isn't people out there that can help out. Still hoping that someone out there knows something.
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
hey can i ask you to do something for me while your 4.9 is out of the car? can you take a picture and post it of what holds down the distributor, for somereason mine free spins and usually there is a hold down clamp but i couldnt find a bolt hole for one on mine.
jtsordel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jtsordelSend a Private Message to jtsordelDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest sending a PM to Fieroseverywhere, Raydar, olejoedad or Carver1 as they are the resident 4.9 gurus on the forum. I am in the middle of a 4.9 swap myself with the help and guidance of Fieroseverywhere and I have yet to find a question he doesn't know the answer to... I would call him and ask him about your block for you, but it's his birthday this weekend and he's with family.

Thanks!!!

Josh

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
It a regular hold down bracket and there is definitely a bolt hole

It's the same size as the v6 bracket if you have a spare

Originally posted by Sparkys 88GT:

Well i have alot invested I this engine so I want to keep it. I can't believe there isn't people out there that can help out. Still hoping that someone out there knows something.

So you payed too much for an engine and it ended up bad? Did you not get a warranty or is it out of?

Around here you can get low mile 4.9s for about $350 with a 90 day warranty. Just a quick peak at car-part.com, you have a gazillion motors near your for less than $300

Take anything you've done and transfer it over to another motor

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 02-05-2012).]

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ok cool thanks jtsordel for the PM and friendofyours for the info.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I know that this info may come a bit too late but 4.9L head bolts must be removed using a little heat and a breaker bar. An impact wrench almost always pulls the block threads out. If there is a way to fix those threads you'll need a pretty large dril and tap set for the helicoils. Also "torque to yield" head bolts must be used in that engine. Very hard to find 4.9L head bolts at this point.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I know that this info may come a bit too late but 4.9L head bolts must be removed using a little heat and a breaker bar. An impact wrench almost always pulls the block threads out. If there is a way to fix those threads you'll need a pretty large dril and tap set for the helicoils. Also "torque to yield" head bolts must be used in that engine. Very hard to find 4.9L head bolts at this point.

They are not TTY
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
There are several 4.9's in my local pull-a-part..seems like most have higher amount of miles, but it would only cost you about $175 for one. Gotta pull it yourself though.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-05-2012).]

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2012 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

There are several 4.9's in my local pull-a-part..seems like most have higher amount of miles, but it would only cost you about $175 for one. Gotta pull it yourself though.

There are at least 5 near him for ~$300 with 100k or under

If he wanted to have it delivered or to pick it up, there is one with 77k on it for $200 w/ 100 day warranty
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Really. Darn. My 4.9 has maybe 120k on it by now.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Then it's just almost broken in........
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I heard these things can go till 300K if kept up correctly.
Sparkys 88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sparkys 88GTSend a Private Message to Sparkys 88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

There are at least 5 near him for ~$300 with 100k or under

If he wanted to have it delivered or to pick it up, there is one with 77k on it for $200 w/ 100 day warranty

Could you send the link to this engine to me I would be interested in looking at it.......
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
car-part.com

Put in what you want and where you are. Leave out zipcode. It can give it fits

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock