87-88 Headlight Output Shaft slipping by Timpilot
Started on: 12-23-2011 12:20 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Timpilot on 12-23-2011 05:27 PM
Timpilot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
My daughter's '86 GT with 87/88 Headlights had one light that would not open. When she cranked it up, it would slam down when she turned the headlights off. I posted a question about it and Ogre suggested the pot-metal part that engages the plastic gear via the the pins might be slipping on the output shaft. I took it apart yesterday and found that to be the case. My plan was to JB Weld the pot-metal part to the shaft but I could not get the pot-metal part off of the shaft (at least with the amount I was willing to pull on the pot-metal part with my gear puller). I looked in my toolbox and found a 1/8 X 3/4 roll pin. I drilled a #30 hole through one of the lobes of the pot-metal part and through the shaft. I drove the roll pin in sub-flush with the lobe of the pot-metal part and put everything back together. As of today, the headlight has gone through 15 open-close cycles and is working flawlessly.

With a drill press, this was an easy job and, hopefully, saves my daughter the expense of buying a new or rebuilt headlight motor.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Try Loctite Green formula too... Green wicks in the space after part are attached. Goes in shaft to metal part area.
Not sure if Green likes oil or not... But cleaning could be a problem. Maybe soaking in brake cleaner and dry w/ hair drier....

Also, That part failed can be a symptom of failing module. If module is goes south then you will have more problems. Not an easy way to tell if module is iffy, maybe one test that I know of...

check if motor power is cut at end of travel or motor has power for 5-6 seconds...
5 seconds mean module can see the motors load and module itself is bad.

See cave, Gen 2 HL motor in lighting section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads-up on the module. So far, the motor seems to stop as soon as the mechanism reaches the end of its travel.
Occasionally, there is a pause mid-travel going down but a light touch on the headlight switch gets it moving again.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I know about that pause. Dis-assemble the light switch and re-bend one of the tabs to fix that. It's just a tired copper contact.
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Gall.
I thought that would probably be the fix. Just doesn't bug me that much - being that it's my daughter's car and I never drive it. HaHa
If it were my 88 Formula, I would have taken care of it long ago.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock