SMOKE! Need Answers! by nyranger6830
Started on: 12-22-2011 05:17 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: wftb on 12-23-2011 05:22 PM
nyranger6830

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Hi all,

Well stupidly, ive been putting this issue off for a few weeks now but I think its time for answers. Well what happens is, while my 86 GT runs for about 5-10 mins and then all of a sudden smoke starts pouring out from behind the dash and vents! And yes to answer your question, i cheked the cowl area and it was clean! So im fresh out of ideas! Also this does this while the air is NOT on. Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Tony

------------------
Fieros......Gotta Love Em!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087369.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
describe the smell.....(after you turn off the car).

edit: when you say you checked the cowl area, did you open up the door with the heater resistors?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-22-2011).]

nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Well im not sure how to describe the smell but the smoke is very thin. This only started happening when I installed a new thermostat after not previously having one at all!! And the cowl area im referring to is just taking the plate off that has the "hamster wheel" on it!

------------------

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a heater core. Does it fog the windows?
If you have anti-freeze in the cooling system, then the "smoke" should have a sweet, kind of gaggy smell, if that's the case.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Next to the hamster wheel plate is another small plate with 2 small screws and a plug in it.....a little more towards the passenger side. Take that plate off and look in there for dead leaves or mouse nest or who knows what.....and clean the wire resistors on the back side of the plate. Those wires get hot. They are there for the lower speeds of the heater fan....a cheap way to make a variable speed fan...

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Is it smoke or steam?

Smoke would be electrical in nature and would smell very bad. If it is some electrical burning, you might hear crackling from the arcing.

Steam would be from your heater core and would smell sweet. Check the floor area on the passenger side. If it is wet then your heater core is leaking.
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
A guy a year ago I remember i think even on this forum had a problem with his heater core. Leaves and gunk ended up geting caught in the heater filaments causing it to catch fire and burning the front left corner of the car. Even if the smoke doesnt come from that i would still check that area since your down there better safe than sorry. just my 2 cents.
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:Leaves and gunk ended up geting caught in the heater filaments causing it to catch fire and burning the front left corner of the car.

The Fiero has an engine coolant to air heat exchanger for the heater. I have NEVER heard of one of them catching fire.
The motor catching on fire, yes, I've heard that. The wiring for the motor, yes, that too. But not the heater.

[This message has been edited by n7vrz (edited 12-22-2011).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

caught in the heater filaments causing it to catch fire

I believe by heater filaments, he means blower motor resistors. Nothing else gets hot enough to cause fires anyway.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
the leaves and mice nests got in to my hamster wheel and they caught fire .no flames but smoke filled the entire interior and my son and i had to bail .stopped a little while after and i drove it home and found all that crap in the heater circuit .cleaned it out and no more smoke .since the fire area is encased in metal , no damage was done .this is a common problem , especially with fieros that have been stored a long time .
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Ok... Its been confirmed that its deffinetly the heater core... What size are the hoses that go to the core and can i buy an adapter to just connect the two hoses and bypass the core?

Thanks
Tony

------------------

PFF
System Bot
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by n7vrz:

The Fiero has an engine coolant to air heat exchanger for the heater.

yea your right. It was the heater fan resistors. My wording was horrible I was thinking of filaments when I was looking at them. It was in march of 2008 burned the plastic cover and the heater core. Leaves and gunk got in where the hood latch is.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by nyranger6830:

Ok... Its been confirmed that its deffinetly the heater core... What size are the hoses that go to the core and can i buy an adapter to just connect the two hoses and bypass the core?

Thanks
Tony

You don't want a heater? It's easy to fix right.
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Yea heat doesn't matter

------------------

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post
I know u just said that heat doesn't matter, but a new core is only $43 ($28 after discount, BIG15) from advance auto. Just saying...
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
40 after discount in NY! But I'm just looking for what size hoses so I can go to home depot and buy an adapter!

------------------

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nyranger6830:

40 after discount in NY! But I'm just looking for what size hoses so I can go to home depot and buy an adapter!

so you are saying your core is leaking then ? so there was steam and not smoke ? .like it was posted before , the core itself cannot cause a fire .
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
I know the core won't start a fire but I can't drive the car if there is steam coming out of vents! All I'm looking for is hose size so I know which adapter to buy so iu can bypass the heater core!

------------------

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I believe it is 5/8" hose.

Bummer that you are just going to bypass your heater in NY of all places. Not only will you be cold but you won't have a windshield defroster anymore either. This could be dangerous...
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Good call! Would flushing the corecar do anything?

------------------

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Flushing the core will not fix the leak.

They usually leak at the solder joints where the piper enter the core. You might be able to resolder it with a copper pipe soldering kit from a home improvement store. If you find the leak somewhere else, you can "patch" it with a strip of metal glued on with high temperature RTV (Red). If you can't solder the leak you can use high temperature RTV for a temporary fix until you can replace the core.

Good luck.
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
try some radiator stop leak .it will stop leaks in the heater core too .if you can get the core out , you can usually spot the leak and solder it up again .RTV wont cut it .the pressure is the same in the heater core as your rad .the RTV will blow right off .

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock