Decklid window by docholliday
Started on: 12-19-2011 12:03 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 12-22-2011 06:23 PM
docholliday

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dochollidaySend a Private Message to dochollidayDirect Link to This Post
I want to install a Decklid window like the one installed by Skitime. I've looked for a build thread on this project but couldn't find one. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for someone that has never tried anything like this before? I don't want to mess up the "perfect condition" decklid on my '88 GT.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
http://www.google.com/searc...ro.nl&aq=f&aqi=&aql= &fp=1

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000073.html

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-19-2011).]

docholliday

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dochollidaySend a Private Message to dochollidayDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link, but I have read skitimes build thread (more than once, he's a genius), but there's very little info on the process of the decklid window mod. I would be interested in everyrthing from the thickness of the glass used and mainly how it is secured in the decklid. As mentioned before, I've never tried anything like this before and I'll need all of the info I can get.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
get an old deck lid and go for it!
can't be that hard to do. it has been done a few times.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Pretty simple. If you use glass, get tempered so heat wont break it. After you cut out the hole, sand and fill the edges and paint it, You could use quality silicone to attach it to the underside. Or you could glass on some studs on the bottom around the perimeter and use some nuts and metal retainers to hold it. You could get away without even having to paint and finish the edges by wrapping some slotted rubber edging around it to cover the edge before mounting the glass. You could also make it with heavier plexiglass (like 1/4") and you can drill mounting holes for studs right directly into it.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Pretty simple. If you use glass, get tempered so heat wont break it. After you cut out the hole, sand and fill the edges and paint it, You could use quality silicone to attach it to the underside. Or you could glass on some studs on the bottom around the perimeter and use some nuts and metal retainers to hold it. You could get away without even having to paint and finish the edges by wrapping some slotted rubber edging around it to cover the edge before mounting the glass. You could also make it with heavier plexiglass (like 1/4") and you can drill mounting holes for studs right directly into it.

You could also paint a 1"ish strip around the edge of the glass black, to hide any adhesive used or lack of finish along the edges of the decklid.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I always thought an "easy" way to do this would be there is already a "lip" on the underside of the fastback decklid. It protrudes about an inch or so into the area around the main support beams. From the underside, cut all around the inside of the "lip", leaving the lip intact. Now, go topside to the bodywork, and just cut into the bodywork, NOT the underside of the decklid guts, all the while cutting slighty inward to expose that "lip". Now you have somewhere for the glass to "sit" on, and you have about an inch of play to set whatever size ledge you need. Silicone up, and from up top you can add a trim or anything else needed to hide the attach points.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock