Started on: 12-14-2011 12:42 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: MountainHiBlue87GT on 12-17-2011 08:44 PM
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Just got off the phone with West Coast Fiero! Sales man kept rambleing on, and on and on (He must have been High on Drugs). I could not place an order for a 3800 SC II cat says they dont sell Catalitic converters (what a Kook).He continued to ramble on, and on, and on.Then he proclaimed how I can't put that cat on my fiero,so I say yes I can it has a 3800 SC II engine.This cat was recomended on an older post and is listed on their web sight.I live in California and I have smog laws.So my question is,what cat are you useing? I asume anything with the same dimensions as the one listed on their web sight,stainless steel would be nice .
From their web sight:
This Cat will make even the 3800 OBD2 engine run legal in California, home of the toughest smog laws.

Our West Coast Fiero cats are constructed of stainless steel. (stainless would be nice)

Pipe size: available in 2-1/2" (This is the size I need)
Body size: 4" x 7" x 17" overall.

On a side note, anybody talk with this kook befor?Any complaints?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Was his name Mikey?

Wait - wrong place.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
WTF you can buy a cat ANYWHERE! Cheaper than WCF! look ebay.

depends on the kind of exhaust you are running. If it is all in the fiero stock area, just get a cat for the fiero. simple

If you have a exhaust exiting the motor in the 3800 stock location you can get a high flow cat on ebay for cheap.

WCF used to sell cats I thought. Sounds like they do not want your money. look elsewhere
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
You will need to use a factory OEM CAT from a 3800 to pass the visual and smog in CA. This is what I read and learned when I built the car I did for PaulJK a few years back. I found a used low mileage CAT off of CGP to use for around $75 shipped or so. Unsure if rules may have changed since then being I only read up on it at the time I was building the car...

I wish the deal with PaulJK would not have went south as I would have like to know how the car did for testing and if everything was up to par and passed...

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I am running a Solo Preformance high flow CAT on my 3800sc with WCF headers and a 3 inch system engine has EGR deleet and passed E test (smog test ) with flying colours

In California do you register the car as a hot rod ?? due to the engine swap

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 12-14-2011).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:
In California do you register the car as a hot rod ?? due to the engine swap

no,not that I know of, but it needs to be smoged by a reforee because of the engine swap.They are pickey here in California,so no K&N air filter unless you swap it in after the smog test.Any engine upgrades, like a turbo are usualley a no go (take it off).A catalitic converter is a must.no engine mods, as close to OEM as possible.

If a Fiero has the body removed and a fiberglass body like a Ferrari or Lambo is installed it can be registered as specialy constructed vehicle (kit car) or if anyone doesnt want to go through the hastle,a kit car can be registered as a Fiero as long as it has the stock v6 motor.If it doesnt have the stock motor, then its off to the reforee.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 12-14-2011).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Bump for the weekend....anybudy else?
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Because you are in CA, a converter recommendation can only be made knowing what model was the car that your engine came out of. Start here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02...uct/02california.asp

You can look up a part number there which will be CARB compliant. Once you find a part number, go to Summit to buy it. I purchased a new Magnaflow converter earlier this year and Summit's price was less than half the MSRP listed on the Magnaflow site.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Because you are in CA, a converter recommendation can only be made knowing what model was the car that your engine came out of. Start here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02...uct/02california.asp

You can look up a part number there which will be CARB compliant. Once you find a part number, go to Summit to buy it. I purchased a new Magnaflow converter earlier this year and Summit's price was less than half the MSRP listed on the Magnaflow site.

You can not use the Magnaflow CATs in Cali as they are not legal. The CAT must be from the donor car....
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Yes you can.

Magnaflow makes converters for the other 49 states, and they make a line for CA only. The California converters come with a certificate that you would present to the smog police at your smog check to prove that the converter is legal in CA. Click the link I provided and read.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Yes you can.

Magnaflow makes converters for the other 49 states, and they make a line for CA only. The California converters come with a certificate that you would present to the smog police at your smog check to prove that the converter is legal in CA. Click the link I provided and read.

Alright...I am just going off what I read and off what I asked many others that did engine swaps in Cali. I myself used a stock 3800 CAT when I did the swap....Lucky this is not an issue on all the othef swaps J have done.
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Once you find a part number, go to Summit to buy it. I purchased a new Magnaflow converter earlier this year and Summit's price was less than half the MSRP listed on the Magnaflow site.

Run the part number through Ebay and get it even cheaper! Purchased my Magnaflo on Ebay and got it for about $40 less then Summit. The Ebay seller had a "best offer" option on his listing and sold it to me for a very good price
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Thanks everyone! I think I've narrowed it down with your help and shouldn't be a problem now! You Guys Rock!
A++++'s unless you allready have my A+ rateing.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 12-16-2011).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Just a suggestion. I would ask the Referee to whom you are going to take the car for its inspection what cat he will accept. Might save you a bunch of money.

Regards,

David

------------------
1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers, 3" Exhaust, Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels; Paint by Phoenix Auto in California City.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock