Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero Radiators- Replace Now Before they Rupture.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fiero Radiators- Replace Now Before they Rupture. by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 12-09-2011 06:13 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: theogre on 12-31-2011 12:11 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
High Performance Fiero Radiators now on Sale on ebay $134.95 That ad caught my eye and the price seems right.
Fiero radiators are now getting quite old (24-29 years old) and they won't last forever. A combinaton of thousands of heat cycling hours, exterior and internal corrosion puts all of them at the end of their service life. If they fail bad things will happen. Figured the time was right for a replacement.
Purchased a Brand New Champion 3 row aluminum high performance Fiero radiator on eBay. Now on sale at Radiator Galaxy for $134.95 . Received it today and the Champion Radiator was of excellent quality and about the same size as the OEM unit but a bit thicker. The radiator on my personal Fiero is still working well and the car doesn't overheat but because it is 25 years old it is time for a change. If the insides rupture from age ( it's just a matter of time), water will mix with transmisson oil and destroy the trans and possibly overheat the engine. Even on stick cars if that radiaot sees catastophic failure it is not long before engine damage wil result. We've seen damage on a few Fieros caused by leaky/ruptured radiators of late.
A short time ago V8 Archie did a post showing the installation. You will have to modifiy the radiator supports and brackets just a tad but its an easy mod. Archie went though the whole process on that thread and I could not explain it better than he did.
This radiator not only puts back the margin of safety in having a new part, but it can also handle the cooling requirement of engines making considerable horsepower.
If you haven't replaced your radiator yet ask yourself; whats your powertrain worth?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
The cheapest I see em at is $155 shipped. Still a pretty good price.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, your post reads like a late-night TV advertisement... LOL
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

The cheapest I see em at is $155 shipped. Still a pretty good price.

I believe that I paid an extra $20 for shipping so that is the low price and I agree that its good. New Fiero standard efficiency Cheap Chinese plastic & aluminum junk radiators cost that much. I'd rather buy a quality high performance American made ALL aluminum unit for that. The Champion P/N is CC828.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Many radiator fails will some warning but don't trust 25+ years old units to give any warnings. (and I have seen problems w/ OE metal tanks on old units too...)
Why? See my cave, radiator failure in coolant section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Have never personally had a Fiero radiator fail in regards to the trans cooler, but have had 2 different OEM 84 rads crack on the inlet (left) side, just below where the hose connects. 2 1/2 decades is a long time for any kind of "plastic" radiator tank to hold up--surprised they last as long as they do.

If you do replace one, and don't intend to keep or sell the old one, take a screwdriver and bend the little tangs back that hold the left tank to the core. You can get an idea of how good your cooling system corrosion preventative regimen is and may want to alter it if you find very many core passages plugged off.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Ahhh I'm so tempted to buy but I spent thousands on my car this summer, and now $1100 on wheels and tires

It feels like I can't keep up with overhauling this car at the rate that things are wearing out/ failing haha.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Dennis, your post reads like a late-night TV advertisement... LOL

How observant. I was in the advertising business for about 5 years.
Just wanted to share what I feel is sound advise. I have nothing to gain whether Fiero owners change their radiator or not but they may benefit by doing so. Let's face it, radiators in Fieros are 24-29 years old and have traveled many miles in all kinds of road conditions, experienced thousands of heating cycles and circulated millions of gallons of (sometimes dirty) coolant. This is well beyond the radiators useful service life. They were not designed to last forever. While some may disagree I believe that preventative maintenance goes a long way towards increasing reliability but there is always the car owner that drives his car until it just falls apart, then spends 5 times what preventative measures would have cost. The way I see it you can pay now or pay far more later.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-10-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
And like everything else, they always seem to go bad at the worst time. Tho a shop 'can' get a reseal kit and change a tank or core, imo, it is not at all cost effective to try to repair one that is that old.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post
I wish I had gone this route before I bought my "cooling depot" brand radiator from RockAuto, which cost almost this much and is a Chinese made part.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Catastrophic sounds exagerated but if wife is driving and she doesn't pay attention to temp and Eng-Hot light then probably yes. The one on my Formula failed early this year for first time. The side plastic developed a crack and you could see the coolant come out. Replaced with stock (I just had one) I guess good for another 23 years.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
what blacktree said. are you sure You're not selling them on ebay ? :-)
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
BUT WAIT!......There's MORE!

If you order now, we'll give you a SECOND radiator AAAB-SoLutely FREE!
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

BUT WAIT!......There's MORE!

If you order now, we'll give you a SECOND radiator AAAB-SoLutely FREE!

Place your order in the next 10 minutes and you will also receive this Snuggie and Book Light, just pay for shipping and handling....... (which BTW is 5 x what the item is worth )

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen III replacement GT trunk seals with solid molded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Dennis: "Just install it and...?"
Crowd: "FORGET IT!"

Seriously though, I had my original radiator fail the day before the 25th show, and replaced it with a Spectre stock-style replacement. Which kept failing, and kept getting replaced free under warranty. But I got sick of replacing them every few months, and bought an all-aluminum one off eBay. Didn't have any more troubles.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
Great advice, thanks. I just ordered mine

Probably a good idea to change rad hoses at the same time before they are no longer available.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear that I am not the only Fiero owner that doesn't want to keep driving with a 25 year old radiator. If you have an expensive engine swap this radiator is cheap insurance. I just asked myself "what's the engine and trans worth"? The decision was easy. You can install these radiators in a few hours but I am not certain that they can be changed without removing the hood.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"

FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2011 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
It's not impossible to install them with the hood on, though it certainly make it easier to get at it when the hood is off.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ordered mine two days ago. It's been on the wish list for a while-best price I have seen so far.
oberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for obertoSend a Private Message to obertoDirect Link to This Post
I looked at these on ebay and it does seem a good deal at any price they have. I cannot install myself, so would it be complicated to have a mechanic do the mounting mods? Many of them balk if they see a Fiero coming, but I do have one who worked with GM and saw the original unveiled, and he has been a great help. I just dont want to drop a tough project on a guy who has been pretty fantastic about helping. But my 85 radiator seems original, and I love the car and want it to stay cool. The three rows seem the best option, but will the one or two be ok? $ always a concern
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this; I have been keeping my eye on these for quite some time, but was never in immediate "need" of one. At $155 shipped, I figured it can sit on a shelf till I get around to installing it
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I see Champion now offers single row and two row radiatiors for the Fiero. A while back when Archie wrote up the thread on the Champion radiator he showed the modifications that needed to be made to the rubber locators on the bottom support as well as the trimming away of some metal on the upper radiator bracket to make the 3-row Champion fit.

Has anyone here purchased and installed a two row Champion radiator??? I would like to know if the two row version can be installed without the reshaping of the upper rad bracket?
oberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for obertoSend a Private Message to obertoDirect Link to This Post
Yes, if anyone has info on the 1 or 2 rows needing to be altered please post. I would like the three, but might save money and also may have to figure out doing it myself, so easier is better. and does anyone have a link to that info on how to do the modification?
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oberto:
...does anyone have a link to that info on how to do the modification?

Check your PM
Cooter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Back when I had the 3.4 GT, it ran a little on the warm side, but never to the point of overheating. My friend found a deal on Fiero radiators, but had to buy more than he needed to get a better price. He was kind enough to give me one of them, even though my old radiator looked fine and did not leak. I did not think that I needed a new radiator, but after swapping in the new one, the engine temp was always right on the thermostat's opening temp and never got close to being hot. I took the tanks off the old radiator and the lower half was completely stopped up with bits of old gasket material, "form-a-gasket" and other crap. It is amazing that it cooled at all. So, even if you think your 25 year old radiator looks good on the outside, the inside could be pretty bad off. Replace it!
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I'm such a cheap@$$

Got mine for $145 out the door woohoo

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 12-18-2011).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

Back when I had the 3.4 GT, it ran a little on the warm side, but never to the point of overheating. My friend found a deal on Fiero radiators, but had to buy more than he needed to get a better price. He was kind enough to give me one of them, even though my old radiator looked fine and did not leak. I did not think that I needed a new radiator, but after swapping in the new one, the engine temp was always right on the thermostat's opening temp and never got close to being hot. I took the tanks off the old radiator and the lower half was completely stopped up with bits of old gasket material, "form-a-gasket" and other crap. It is amazing that it cooled at all. So, even if you think your 25 year old radiator looks good on the outside, the inside could be pretty bad off. Replace it!

Exactly. As a cooling system ages, gasket pieces, gasket sealer, dirt, rust, radiator sealer and aluminum filings (from a blown water pump ) all work to lower the radiators efficiency in dramatic fashion. On one repair job we had a water pump who's bearing completely came apart. This allowed the impeller to grind to pieces and in the process it also gound some of the housing. We replaced the water pump and flushed the system but by this time the radiator could not be saved. When we took apart the radiator to show the customer, 80% of the coolant passages were blocked with aluminum shavings and crud. Thats why I recommend that people change 25 year old radiators and water pumps. For under $200 in parts it's cheap insurance. Either can experience catastrophic failure when you least expect it ,causing $1000's worth of engine and/or auto transmission damage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Dennis

Thanks for the heads up about the rads
The side tank on my rad cracked
Now I have to replace it, but I am very glad that mine broke at my house
instead of when I was driving it.

Thanks again
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

I'm such a cheap@$$

Got mine for $145 out the door woohoo

A selfish cheap ass at that Care to share so others can save a buck or two also
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Dennis

Thanks for the heads up about the rads
The side tank on my rad cracked
Now I have to replace it, but I am very glad that mine broke at my house
instead of when I was driving it.

Thanks again

No thanks needed. Just trying to be helpful. Some on this forum have me working for Champion radiator. Wish that I was, but need to scape out a living doing a few different things. Figured that after 25-29 years ( way beyond the useful service life) many of our radiators will be letting go. Mine hasn't so far but as a measure of safety and preventative maintenance it was time. On this forum (more than others) we seem to have more than our share of folks that don't want to spend any money and just wait until something breaks before replacing the part. What they may not realize is that you can pay now or pay more for towing and repair of the potential damage caused by a burst radiator later. If anyone doesn't want to invest in a new radiator or if funds are short, I can understand that, but at the very least check that radiator daily for any leakage or sign of impending trouble. Failure of an old radiator is imminent.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

A selfish cheap ass at that Care to share so others can save a buck or two also

Never selfish . I just messaged all the sellers on ebay asking if they could do $145 shipped. Oscarsrads agreed to that price.
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Never selfish . I just messaged all the sellers on ebay asking if they could do $145 shipped. Oscarsrads agreed to that price.

Dam, I bought mine from him for $155...
Still better then the close to $200 they normaly go for...
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Dam, I bought mine from him for $155...
Still better then the close to $200 they normaly go for...

True, this is gonna sit around in my attic for the next few months till its warm enough to install, just like the few grand in parts thats collecting dust up there waiting for the warmth

I'm addicted to buying stuff when its a good deal
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroDirect Link to This Post
Got mine today in good shape(you never know with shipping these days). The quality looks good. I have bought comparable parts for customers cars and they were in the 500 dollar range. Those,I would think,are more more common apps than the Fiero (69 Camaro & 83 CJ with small block).
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I have one of those rads on my list. Good info as always, Dennis.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Prevent radiator failure with

http://www.jaylenosgarage.c...less-engine-coolant/

You actually need to have a properly and fully functioning system to run that- if it even works cause there are mixed reviews.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

You actually need to have a properly and fully functioning system to run that- if it even works cause there are mixed reviews.

Yes, will not protect from tank's pressure failure.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock