Getrag or Muncie? by gtxbullet
Started on: 11-29-2011 09:51 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: gtxbullet on 12-03-2011 12:37 AM
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
which transmission would be best for a V6 fiero?

I'm doing a 3.4L swap on my 88 5-speed BASE COUPE
I'm buying a getrag set up (a whole GT actually) and with a parts collection will be a Muncie MY8 ECONO 4-speed Transmission

my question is, for my 88 which transmission will last longer and be easier to live with for a LOOOONG time?

My friend's 85 GT has a 3.4L and Muncie M17 4-speed and I really do like it...but something about the gear ratio just doesn't feel at all what I'm use to.

I'm a beliver in if it came with a 5-speed put another 5-speed in. if it came with a 4-speed put a 4-speed in....
but I want my swap to go well and not have to redo anything in the first year...

I know both transmissions are good, the syncros have no issues, they shift fine under heavy load. and BOTH have good bearings and are good and tight.

I hear the MY8 transmission has a steap change between 3rd and 4th gears because of the 4th ECONO gear.

I've driven and owned 4-speeds, 5-speeds, and autos. autos are not in the picture...lol
4-speeds seem like good daily drivers because of the longer gears, but just feel a little slugish.
5-speeds are great on the freeway, and have a closer ratio for crisper acceleration....

the Getrags are getting harder to find parts for (though I am buying a rebuild kit for cheap for a spare I'm picking up just incase)
Muncie 4-speeds have tons of rebuilds out there.

but which handles power best. I'm not talking about a V8 just a 3.4L v6 with 140-150 HP at the wheels and around 194-210 torque.
(It'll have a decent tune and headers, that's about it)

let me know what you think...

------------------
F.I.E.R.O. - Fantastically Imaginative Engineering Racing Object

I'm here to Help, just ask

www.fquick.com/GTXBULLET
Certified Tech/Mechanic (Restorations, Modifications, and Maintenence)
1967 Volkswagon Fastback Type 3 Fully Restored Rust Free California Car
1988 FIERO Coupe "IRON DUKE" 5-Speed (the show car ;-) )

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I had a getrag 5 speed in my 88 and swapped it for a 4 speed when I did the 3.4. I've got ~200 hp at the crank. Getrag was leaking out through the input shaft bearing and had third gear syncro issues. I put the 4 speed in because I had one in a parts car and figured at the very least it would buy me time until I rebuilt my getrag, got another, or went with something like an f23. Getrags are getting harder and harder to find and harder to find parts for. I haven't had either apart, but from what I'm told the Muncie is dirt simple and much easier to rebuild, Getrag is a PITA. I've actually grown to love the gearing of the Muncie. The 3.4 has a fair amount of torque and low end power that seems well suited to the 4 speed ratios. Drives a bit more like a muscle car than a modern car. I end up short shifting the car at very low rpm's when I'm got getting on it and manage about 28 mpg. Top speed is certainly limited by the 4 speed, as is highway mpg, but I rarely drive over 70 mph.
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post

onesexyfiero

771 posts
Member since Apr 2008
I should add I'm talking v6 4 speed, not MY8.
ThatFieroKid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidDirect Link to This Post
I hear the MY8s are prized by motor-swappers because of their strength and gear ratios. In any case hold on to it because it could be worth a good chunk of change the're getting pretty rare.

Edit: just read your recent post disregard what I said sorry.

[This message has been edited by ThatFieroKid (edited 11-29-2011).]

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to do an F23 swap...but seems like no one can tell me exactly what is needed.

the shift assembly on the trans isn't a typical FWD Getrag style. so it needs to be modified. I don't want to mess with making custom parts.

well the 87 GT I'm buying runs good and drives good...or so I've been told. if it's in the shape I've been told then I'll use it and wait for someone to give part numbers and where/what from to buy the parts (off other cars, from shops, etc) for the F23 swap.

if the MY8 isn't as good as the M17 V6 Muncie then I wont use it. 4th in it is just like 5th in and Izuzu (which is about 150 RPMs lower than the Getrag from what I've worked out...)
must be why folks could get up to 50mpg in some 1984 Coupes....

well if anyone wants a perfect MY8 with 60-70k miles on it I'm going to be selling it.
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post
The thing that discouraged me from the f23 is that from what I can gather, no one has been able to make it work with the stock speedo. I guess its one thing if you're doing a full on custom motor swap car, but for a 3.4 or stock Fiero, it just doesn't seem that great.
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4sp mated to my 3.4L. Runs like a bat out of hell. The Muncie seems to do great with the torque available and is geared aggressive... Love it.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I have the 4 speed behind my 3800. Gear spacing is perfect.
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
hes a dbag but knows his stuff heres everything you need to know about installing an f23 brought ot you by L67

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

hes a dbag but knows his stuff heres everything you need to know about installing an f23 brought ot you by L67

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html

That's a compliment, I guess........

Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
i guess i should say that my opinion me and him never really got along but he does know what hes talking about and even if i dont like the guy im not gonna say hes an idiot when hes not. if you need and he knows it he will tell you and you can bet its the right info. just fyi while the my8 boasts great fuel econ youll break it with any real horse power behind it. the gears are the same and interchangeable with the m17 v6 4 spd but the case is the weak point. well i should say the gears are excatly the same as the my8 has a better final ratio to it which gives it that great mpg but pretty much the same.
PFF
System Bot
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2011 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I smiled. Thanks.

And further reinforcement for how much of a douche bag I am, I read this thread this morning when there were no replies, rolled my eyes and closed the forum.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
please keep this thread on track. I need help deciding, not bantering between fellow members and name calling.

thanks for the MY8 to M17 info!!!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The gears in the Muncie are thicker than those in the Getrag so the Muncie should be stronger but a 5th gear usually adds to drivability and mileage..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
You will really notice the difference in RPM when cruising at highway speeds. You can expect around 2500 RPM with the Getrag 282 and 3400 RPM with the Muncie four speed at around 70 MPH. The four speed is more aggressive on acceleration but not as nice on the highway. Pick the one most suited for the type of driving that you plan to do and enjoy the ride.

Nelson
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

I smiled. Thanks.

And further reinforcement for how much of a douche bag I am, I read this thread this morning when there were no replies, rolled my eyes and closed the forum.

ROFL im sorry im starting ot like this guy more and more :-P, as for getting back to the point since i got off track ive heard the muncie is not as strong as the getrag altho i have one on my 4.9 i havent gotten to beat the crap out of it yet and see how well it holds. on the adverse side ive never heard of anyone breaking the munice but everyone goes for the getrag because of teh 5th gear.
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

You will really notice the difference in RPM when cruising at highway speeds. You can expect around 2500 RPM with the Getrag 282 and 3400 RPM with the Muncie four speed at around 70 MPH. The four speed is more aggressive on acceleration but not as nice on the highway. Pick the one most suited for the type of driving that you plan to do and enjoy the ride.

Nelson

No. My Muncie sits on 2750 at 72 MPH.

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
long story short. I got my Getrag now
FINALLY!!!! I have a Complete Getrag swap to use.

Thanks for all the info. I am buying a rebuild kit for later down the road.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
thats great! your gonna have to take it to a trans shop for the rebuild tho as those gears are pressed on
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserDirect Link to This Post

ROFL im sorry im starting ot like this guy more and more :-P, as for getting back to the point since i got off track ive heard the muncie is not as strong as the getrag altho i have one on my 4.9 i havent gotten to beat the crap out of it yet and see how well it holds. on the adverse side ive never heard of anyone breaking the munice but everyone goes for the getrag because of teh 5th gear.

How well does the 4.9 and muncie work? I may be doing this sometime in the future with either a 4.9 or the Allante 4.5 I have sitting in the garage. Just need to get it balanced with the flywheel since they are externally balanced. I have a 94 282, but I will most likely match it with the 3.4 DOHC (95).

Chet W.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ive only taken it around the block once and it was nice. i have to finish the exhaust and tie up some wires and itll be GTG by spring. i just hope that 4 spd holds as ive herd the 84 4 spds have grenaded behind the 4.9 but mines from an 86 gt so we will see
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

thats great! your gonna have to take it to a trans shop for the rebuild tho as those gears are pressed on

nah, I can do it myself. I asked for the heck of it and a Discount Rebuild through a Friend's Mechanic would be $400-500...
considering I'm a Certified Tech and have done it before on much more complex transmissions, I'm going to do it myself when the time comes.
then I can save my money
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
im not doubting your ability but do you have a press to take the gears off and put them back on? if so rebuilding getrags would be a decent way to make some extra cash on here
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ThatFieroKid:

I hear the MY8s are prized by motor-swappers because of their strength and gear ratios. In any case hold on to it because it could be worth a good chunk of change the're getting pretty rare.

Edit: just read your recent post disregard what I said sorry.

the MY8 has decent gearing for a V8 swap such as the 4.9L, where the motor doesn't rev very high. the 5 speeds are MUCH better suited to the v6's.

the My8 has a weak casing.. if youare going to use it, swap it into a V6 casing...

if you decide to use the 5 speed, i will buy the 4 speed my8 off of you, as i need it for another v8 swap...

Stickpony@gmail.com
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by weaselbeak:
No. My Muncie sits on 2750 at 72 MPH.

whats your tire size brother? i get 3050 rpm at 70 with the v6 4 speed gearing, as told by the computer, not the tach( tach says 3000 ), on 215/60/14 tires
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

whats your tire size brother? i get 3050 rpm at 70 with the v6 4 speed gearing, as told by the computer, not the tach( tach says 3000 ), on 215/60/14 tires

Normally I run 215-60-15's. I have some slightly larger freebies on it at the moment. I have the correct VSS gear in it.

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

the MY8 has decent gearing for a V8 swap such as the 4.9L, where the motor doesn't rev very high. the 5 speeds are MUCH better suited to the v6's.

the My8 has a weak casing.. if youare going to use it, swap it into a V6 casing...

if you decide to use the 5 speed, i will buy the 4 speed my8 off of you, as i need it for another v8 swap...

Stickpony@gmail.com

I have someone picking it up in 2 weeks.
the MY8 is sold pending pickup (I have a down payment coming in the next couple days)
so it is no longer available.
the member REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTED THE MY8. And I'm actually quoting exactly what he said over the phone

it's a really nice transmission. frankly I think I was selling it for too little, but I need fast cash to help offset the cost of the parts collection I bought just for a good getrag swap that I could actually drive before using...

I am going with the Getrag whole heartedly.
heck, if the 3.4L ever goes out (hahaha, NEVER!!!!! it's staying unmodified except for headers and a better intake set up)
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

gtxbullet

4164 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

Normally I run 215-60-15's. I have some slightly larger freebies on it at the moment. I have the correct VSS gear in it.

215-60-15's are standard for the rears on all GT's

215/65R14 is what should've been put on all the 14" wheels, but GM didn't think people would notice the gas mileage difference

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock