Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Trouble removing front lower control arm fwd bolts... hard to remove hits rack/tierod

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Trouble removing front lower control arm fwd bolts... hard to remove hits rack/tierod by redraif
Started on: 10-17-2011 11:15 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: redraif on 10-19-2011 09:54 AM
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
1984 indy.

Ok is this normal? Why would GM do this? Did the Previous owner take it apart and put it back backwards?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I'm getting total interferance from the rubber boot on the steering rack while trying to remove the bolt from the front most leg on the lower control arm. I had to pry on the rubber boot to even try to get it out and it did not work. Surely GM did not intend for us to remove the rack to remove the LCA's. Yes it's the same on both sides... I even pushed the tierod up hoping the joint would move it further out of the way... nope...

Is the nut supposed to go on this side instead?

So here was what I had to do to get the darn thing out...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

So I got them both out, but I don't see how on earth I could ever line it back up to get it back in this way, esp get it back in straight. The next question is, do I put is back together like this? or reverse it and put the nut to the front instead? What did you do?

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 10-17-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GreenPlatypus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusDirect Link to This Post
When I replaced my bent LCA, I unbolted the rack from the car and moved it out of the way. Though I left it bolted to the steerin g column so I wouldn'thave to get it aligned again.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Well I have heard the rack bolts can be a bit tempermental, so I was trying to leave them alone unless I needed to tear into the rack at some point. I have been waiting to get this little guy back on the road for quite a while (3 years)... I would hate to snap a bolt I really did not need to remove and set myself back more! LOL!
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Yes, mine looked like that on the front of my 87 GT. I just had to be careful.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
So how did you get it back in? Just end up gently tapping it past the boot with a punch and mallet? That was my only guess to do it... That or reverse it and put the nut where the bolt is, if there is clearance
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
I was just careful tapping it back in.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

I was just careful tapping it back in.

Guess I will do the same... crazy how GM set it up this way... at least its not something that will have to be removed again for a while since the bushings are being replaced now...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock