Started on: 10-06-2011 11:17 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Spoon on 10-11-2011 01:11 PM
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
I've been toying around with this digital cruise control and did a lot of reading mostly from the "Darth" postings.
Well I finally got it all wired up and took it for a test drive. Pushed the button and it engaged properly.

I knew I must of done everything right when I saw the cruise light come on. Something I never saw with the old setup. :

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
thats awesome! so....hwo did you do it
jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I wanna know too

------------------
Car Threads
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115701.html
and 86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Okay, looks like my covers blown. I'll get back to you tonight with details. I'm off to work now.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Spoon

3762 posts
Member since May 2004
Okay this is how I did it.
I thought it would be nice to tell if the cruise switch is on or not. I used to always check the switch because somehow it always got to the on position by using the signal or some other way.

The first thing I needed was a label that read CRUISE. So off to the bone yard. By pulling instrument cluster bulbs and shinning a flashlight up under the dash I could see what the labels read.

A 1993 Buick Regal Custom fit the bill.

Here it is with light behind it.

Next job was to pull the Fiero instrument cluster out and remove the label strip on the right side "facing the cluster". The idea was to cut out the part of the label that read nothing. Third one down from the top on cars with the aux gauge setup.

After trimming out the "CRUISE" part from the Buick label, I taped it in place on the Fiero Label using scotch tape.
Placement is critical to prevent light from the other indicators from bleeding over into the cruise window.

Next was the electrical connection.
On the right side of the Fiero instrument panel , viewed from the front, is a connector like this. Don't know the actual number.

Wires 5 pink & 6 brown need to be removed from the connector. They are not used. I used shrink tubing to cover the ends.

Next I needed to make up a pair of wires to plug into socket 4 & 5 to power the cruise indicator bulb. I found a salvaged connector for the terminals.

I removed these terminals from the old wire and installed them on the new ones, allowing about a foot of wire on each.

Here they are inserted into the connector.

Next I popped a bulb in the designated socket and applied temp power to make sure it worked. After a smoke free connection I connected the ground lead to a good ground at the steering column support and the positive lead I connected to the gray wire from the cruise control stalk. This is the lead that turns the cruise on.

Next I put everything back together and turned on the cruise and presto..

This worked for me. Some wiring may be different depending on year and vehicle. All of the usual disclaimers apply. Proceed at your own risk or peril, whichever comes first.

Spoon
------------------

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 10-07-2011).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
So this is wired directly to the cruise switch and not to the telltale output from the electrocruise module...

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

So this is wired directly to the cruise switch and not to the telltale output from the electrocruise module...

Yes, directly to the cruise on switch. This tells me its on only and not necessarily engaged. I checked the cruise in my Jeep and it works that way. Press on and cruise lights up even though its not engaged into a cruise mode.

I did see that tell tale output on the module and it appeared to feed the ECM as an input. Don't know what happens to it after that or the type of voltage on that line, so I didn't bother using it.

I'd like to have the cruise light come on only when the cruise is engaged but further study is needed. I may change things later but for now at least the light works.

Spoon
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
From the vehicles I have been able to survey Chrysler products tell you when the system is powered on and GM products tell you when the cruise is set and actively maintaining speed.

So you set it up more like a Chrysler if you ask me not that there is anything wrong with that.

I think it looks great and right at home in the Fiero interior.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I'd like to have the cruise light come on only when the cruise is engaged but further study is needed. I may change things later but for now at least the light works.

Spoon

I'm pretty sure that's what the telltale output on the electrocruise does...
You could wire it up for *BOTH* and have uber geeky cruise control.
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
I'll look into this the first chance I get. Given the choice I'd rather have the cruise light on only when engaged.

Spoon
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2011 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Wow! That happened to you? The same thing happend to me about 6 years ago! Except mine works when the cruise is engaged strange......

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-055187.html

If anyone needs it, this works with the old non-digital cruise system too, just follow my instructions. -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 10-11-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Wow! That happened to you? The same thing happend to me about 6 years ago! Except mine works when the cruise is engaged strange......

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-055187.html

If anyone needs it, this works with the old non-digital cruise system too, just follow my instructions. -Jason

What are the odds? I read your entire post and that's a great write-up. While I was in the yard I could only find a 93 Buick that had that type of filter. Looks like yours came from the same year Buick. It seems like the newer cars use a common digital display so if you get too new your out of luck.

This year Buick was the hardness dash I ever had to take apart. The panel ran from the drivers side of the dash all the way over to the passenger side with no visible screws or pop-out tabs. And the display was recessed into a valley type or recessed position. I was fortunate to get it apart without breaking the section I needed but I did leave with a smile.

--Like minds.

Spoon

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock