Street Solutions DTB Intake VS Truleo Intake by 1986Fiero
Started on: 09-14-2011 09:55 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Oslo on 09-17-2011 12:14 AM
1986Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroDirect Link to This Post
Im going to get a higher flow intake system for my 3.1l fiero and I have no clue which system I should go with. I have two choices. I have the dual throttle body street solutions intake and the trueleo intake. I like the look of the DTB intake but if the truleo intake has a higher flow then I will go with that. To check out the DTB system, go to http://www.tlg-store.com/Pr...ProductCode=4010104. I would really like to figure out which system would be best. Thanks for all your help!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Well, the Trueleo puts the throttle body in the stock location, so you can continue to use the factory cold air intake.

TLG sells you a pair of air intake pipes that suck hot engine bay air.
1986Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroDirect Link to This Post
If I bought the TLG system I would make a cold air intake that would go down to the stock location by the inner fender well. I wouldnt buy the TLG air intake system.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Whichever system you chose to buy you will still be limited by the flow of the lower intake manifold. You can port the manifold but the injector boss sits right in the middle of the 60* V6 ports. The TLG system looks awesome and the Truleo's many welds and pieces can look unsightly, so on appearance alone I would chose the TLG. However there are many Fiero owners that have used the Truleo with good results and perhaps just a few that have used the dual logs.
I am also concerned that the TPS on the TLG will send a false signal to the ECM as twice as much air will be moving into the engine at the same throttle position as before. That is a huge difference. Ex: Under cruise conditions, instead of getting a 3 V signal from the TPS to the ECM you will now be getting say a 1.4V signal. Reprogramming will probably be necessary to bring the fueling back in line. I would be ready for more adjustments with the TLG but a good tuner can solve the problem..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I am also concerned that the TPS on the TLG will send a false signal to the ECM as twice as much air will be moving into the engine at the same throttle position as before. That is a huge difference. Ex: Under cruise conditions, instead of getting a 3 V signal from the TPS to the ECM you will now be getting say a 1.4V signal. Reprogramming will probably be necessary to bring the fueling back in line. I would be ready for more adjustments with the TLG but a good tuner can solve the problem..

The Fiero (stock anyway) computer doesn't use the TPS for measuring engine load.

Transient fueling *might* need some tweaking, but the tune won't be all out of wack.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
im just worried that dual throttle body is in the way of the distributor, you would have to take all that crap off if you wanted to change the ignition control module
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Whichever system you chose to buy you will still be limited by the flow of the lower intake manifold. You can port the manifold but the injector boss sits right in the middle of the 60* V6 ports. The TLG system looks awesome and the Truleo's many welds and pieces can look unsightly, so on appearance alone I would chose the TLG. However there are many Fiero owners that have used the Truleo with good results and perhaps just a few that have used the dual logs.

yup. I've always wondered how well Dual Throttle Bodies work with the fact that if you use stock throttle bodies, you would get WOT at basicly 1/2 throttle on the TPS, which also mean you lose almost 1/2 of your throttle sensitivity. I understand those who use the throttle as a on/off switch - no biggie - but if you actually do any auto-x or the likes - this will not do. The range on the throttle body should match the engines ability to breath. now, if you used the DTB intake with some smaller throttle bodies. like, around 44mm each - now we are back to having a actual throttle, and not just an on/off switch

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

yup. I've always wondered how well Dual Throttle Bodies work with the fact that if you use stock throttle bodies, you would get WOT at basicly 1/2 throttle on the TPS, which also mean you lose almost 1/2 of your throttle sensitivity. I understand those who use the throttle as a on/off switch - no biggie - but if you actually do any auto-x or the likes - this will not do. The range on the throttle body should match the engines ability to breath. now, if you used the DTB intake with some smaller throttle bodies. like, around 44mm each - now we are back to having a actual throttle, and not just an on/off switch

I don't think the stock throttle body exactly matches the engine's range...

Maybe it's mostly the neck in the intake, but there's definately a restriction in my intake tract, and lots of people port their throttle bodies. You might want to tweak the TPS required for power enrichment though if it is too on/off.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-15-2011).]

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I have a Trueleo intake on my 2.8. It makes a big difference. See the following dyno results for a stock 2.8, a 2.8 w/Trueleo (with and without FS big bore throttle body, mine), a balanced and blueprinted 2.9, a balanced and blueprinted 3.1 and a 3.4. This was posted by Capt Fiero for me:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082335.html
stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyDirect Link to This Post
On a stock 2.8 i'd be worried about the dual stock thottle bodies being too big and giving lousy throttle response too. On a 3.4PR it wouldn't be a big concern. The TLG system looks great compared to the Truleo set up..........
1986Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroDirect Link to This Post
If I get the DTB intake I will probably get it tuned anyways. How much does an average tune cost in a Fiero? I really like the look of the DTB intake but I just want to make sure the car will run to its highest potential after its all finished.
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Well, the Trueleo puts the throttle body in the stock location, so you can continue to use the factory cold air intake.

TLG sells you a pair of air intake pipes that suck hot engine bay air.

I had no idea this discussion was happening, I'd like to make a couple of comments on the discussion if that's ok!

It is true that the Street Solutions intake pipe/filter kit technically is pulling in some hot air even though the filters are placed right next to the original intake opening. Some cold air is introduced, and some hot air. Street Solutions has plans of making a bolt-on heat shield that will allow only cold air to be inducted, so look for that soon. It will be an optional add-on to the DTB manifold

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-Store.com
Find TLG on Facebook!

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by BlackGT Codde:

im just worried that dual throttle body is in the way of the distributor, you would have to take all that crap off if you wanted to change the ignition control module

I believe the entire distributor can be removed from the engine with the DTB manifold (not 100% sure) but I DO KNOW that the dist. cap and the IGN module can be removed and replaced with ease while the DTB manifold is installed.

------------------
www.TLG-Store.com
Find TLG on Facebook!

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by stickboy:

On a stock 2.8 i'd be worried about the dual stock thottle bodies being too big and giving lousy throttle response too.

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

you would get WOT at basicly 1/2 throttle on the TPS, which also mean you lose almost 1/2 of your throttle sensitivity. I understand those who use the throttle as a on/off switch - no biggie - but if you actually do any auto-x or the likes - this will not do. The range on the throttle body should match the engines ability to breath. now, if you used the DTB intake with some smaller throttle bodies. like, around 44mm each - now we are back to having a actual throttle, and not just an on/off switch

We have seen no evidence, or experience, to suggest a lack of control in the throttle. There is no on/off only sensation, and throttle response/feathering control are enhanced, not negated.

The DTB manifold has better/faster throttle response than stock, and is very smooth in operation.

------------------
www.TLG-Store.com
Find TLG on Facebook!

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 09-17-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave