Door handle "spring"? by John W. Tilford
Started on: 09-13-2011 11:26 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: John W. Tilford on 09-14-2011 06:44 AM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordDirect Link to This Post
There's a thin, hard, mostly straight wire flopping around under my passenger side door handle. It's now only attached at the front or right side of the handle, but the loop in the loose end looks like it should be attached as . . . as a what? Is it supposed to be a mini-torsion spring to help hold up the door handle? The door handle latch, unlatch, lock, etc. work fine. What's the deal with this little wire? It's only obvious when you open the door and your fingers feel it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
You're right, its a little torsion spring that presses the door handle into the closed position. If there is any play in the other mechanisms it keeps the handle secured when closed, you may not even notice it if your door lock internals are snug.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Had trouble getting a decent pic of it in place:
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Needless to say, positive rating.

I hate to take the door skin off to try to place this little wire where it should go. I just did the door [the little spring was flopping around BEFORE I took the door apart] to reconnect the door lock/unlock rod to the lock arm and ended up - since I did not have the little mini-clip and could not have put it on if I had had it - bending a scrap piece of copper wire to hold the rod into the arm. Works fine, but I don't want to do it again. Skin just now growing back on left arm and back of hands.
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordDirect Link to This Post
Is there a way to get the torsion spring back in the correct position without taking the door apart again?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock