V6 oil pan baffles? by DonP
Started on: 09-07-2011 02:23 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: DonP on 09-24-2011 05:36 PM
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of building an endurance racer out of an 88 Fiero. (LeMons/Chumpcar) I'm looking for a properly baffled oil pan for road racing use. Will modify existing pan if necessary, but hoping to find a finished piece. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tkemo596

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tkemo596Send a Private Message to tkemo596Direct Link to This Post
Been looking for one as well for SCCA. Haven't been able to find one available, so am going to eventually have to build one. Swapping to a 3800 within a year, so just going to look into what's available for the 3800 then. However, if you find anything of note, I am definitely interested as well. I currently have to run 1 quart heavy to keep oil pressure on turns.
DonP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPDirect Link to This Post
Looks as though I will be adding a couple gates to my existing pan. In that case, I'm planning to add an inch or so to the depth and modify the pick-up. Just hoping to find something already engineered.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I'll have a look in some older GM Performance Parts books to see if there's a part number, or at least a photo of one that you might be able copy the design. I know I have a copy that covers performance parts for the 2.8L so you might get lucky. I'll post what I find tomorrow.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
My apologies for not getting back to this earlier. I went through several parts books namely:

GM Power & Performance May 1989
GM Performance Parts Catalog 1996 and
GM Chevrolet Power Edition 2/94

All have some excellent articles and instructions on modifying the 60* V6 with performance parts offered directly by GM but unfortunately none of them list a modified oil pan, just stock oil pans. Nevertheless, I found some interesting information regarding lubrication system improvements that you might be interested in. Again, from the last publication:

Production Chevrolet V6/60 oil pumps have light weight aluminum housings. Oil pressure is regulated by a bypass spring located in the oil pump cover. A high pressure spring (PN 10044435, color coded with a blue stripe) will produce approximately 70 psi oil pressure. Remove and discard the gasket between the cover and the pump body. Machine the ends of the pump gears to produce 0.001 to 0.002 inch clearance between the gears and the pump cover.

A heavy duty cast iron oil pump for the V6/60's is available as p/n 10051104. This pump has longer gears than a production pump and offers a significant increase in oil volume for competition. Modify this pump by enlarging the hole between the pick up and the pressure bypass to 0.410 inch diameter; a larger plug is required after drilling out this hole. The hole in the pump cover that feeds the oil pressure relief should also be enlarged to 0.410 inch. Relocate the pin that retains the oil pressure relief spring to the edge of the of the pump cover, and install a low pressure Weaver pump spring (color coded green) with a 0.050 inch spacer. A cast iron oil pump modified in this manner will provide a steady supply of oil at approx 80 psi.

Chevrolet does not offer windage trays for V6/60 oil pans. However, a semi-circular small block V8 tray (p/n 3927136) can be modified for use in a V6/60 by cutting off the front section. Three main cap bolts must also be modified by welding mounting studs to the bolt heads. The length of these mounting studs should be adjusted to provide sufficient clearance for the oil pan, crankshaft, and connecting rods you are using.

Hope this helps at least a little.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
If you go to www. 60degreev6.com the sponsor, WOT Tech offers a crank scraper. It does somewhat the same thing as a baffle or windage tray. It keeps the oil in the bottom of the pan instead of letting it froth up above the crank.

This may do the trick. Essentially the oil pan is small enough that with a crank scraper you shouldn't have an oil starvation issue at all. Hope this helps

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 09-24-2011).]

DonP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for both the research and suggestions. Looking at the pan, I have ordered another new stock pan and a baffle kit from Speedway. In addition, I think I will both deepen and widen the stock pan. I believe I can safely add 1 to 1 1/2 inc depth, perhaps with a specific well holding a modified pick-up. With the engine mounted longitudinally, I think there would be no real problem with road racing. But mounted with the longer axis running left to right, It's easy to see potential problems. So, I'll see what I can rig. Thanks again, particularly with the reference quotes.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock