Tips on starter replacement by gridarmorfix
Started on: 09-01-2011 05:49 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 09-02-2011 10:09 AM
gridarmorfix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gridarmorfixSend a Private Message to gridarmorfixDirect Link to This Post
i have an 87 with the 4cy iron duke, any tips on changing the starter? i jacked it up a bit and it seems its gonna be a bear....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
You will probably need an extender for that wrench.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Use good jack stands. Even the best ones are cheaper than a visit to the ER. Or the morgue.
Disconnect the battery before you start. (I've seen people try to change starters with the battery connected.)

It's been so long since I changed a stock Fiero starter that I don't remember if anything is in the way.
You might gain some space by dropping the exhaust system out of the way. Removing two bolts (at the top of the downpipe) and 4 springs (in the two front corners) will allow a ton of clearance that you might need.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-01-2011).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
As said

Disconnect the battery FIRST.
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
Changed mine a couple months ago.

I had to loosen up the rear mount and then take off the bolts that attach the starter to the rear mount. I forget if they were bolts or nuts but its easier to take them out then mount the starter and rear bracket together. Too many things in the way. The rear bracket is required or the starter will eventually twist on the front two bolts. Make sure you re-install it.

Don’t forget your spacers between the starter and the engine block.

Disconnect the battery before you start.

I put the back up on ramps then jacked up the front on jack stands for addtional clearance.

That was the toughest part.

[This message has been edited by mike-ohio (edited 09-01-2011).]

Basic88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Basic88Send a Private Message to Basic88Direct Link to This Post
I did mine a few weeks ago (88 Duke). 1. Disconnect the POSITIVE battery terminal. 2. get the back end of the car as far in the air as you can safely get it (with jackstands and the like) 3. If you have stock CAT it will be RIGHT in the way! I was able to remove the spring hangers before and after the cat and swivel the whole tailpipe sheebang out of the way. (If you have a full exhaust your plan will differ) 4. NOW you are able to get at the starter. Mine was gooked up with a few decades of oil/grease and road grime....I couldnt stand to work on it with all that crap falling in my eyes so I sprayed simple green on everything and "power washed" it with a standard garden hose then rinsed off the concrete after and let it dry all night until the next afternoon when I got home from work everything was clean dry and ALMOST a joy to work on! 5. OK there are 2 bolts that hold the starter in.. I used hand tools 3/8 rachet and a short piece of pipe. I think they are 15 mm bolts they are a bear! WHEN you drop the starter down be sure to keep track of any "shims" that come out as you will want to put them back in with new starter.(Mine didnt have any so I didnt add any) I took both loose but not out....There are either one or two nuts on the back of the starter going into a mounting bracket depending on your car ....and if it has been replaced. I took both of those out and there is a bolt that holds that mounting bracket up top....just loosen it so when you get ready you can swing it out of the way, all of this is very easy and self explanitory when you get into it. I took the 2 wires off the back of the starter AFTER I dropped it down. Thats what worked best for me instructions say to take them off first....but that just a pain in the keester! 6. I put the 2 wires back on the back of the NEW starter...hoisted it in place put in the 2 bolts up through the bottom finger tight....swung the mounting bracket back into place put those nuts back on....tightened the bracket at the top.... tighten up all the nuts and bolts,double check everything....reconnect your battery and your there! I didnt know how bad it was until I hear my new starters sweet whir instead of the sound it used to make.....before it DIED! Anyway use this intimate time under your car to check fuel filter....brake lines...clutch lines... coolant tubes...hoses...all the stuff you will be up close and personal with!....Its NOT a problem...Its an opportunity ! Good luck with your repair!

[This message has been edited by Basic88 (edited 09-02-2011).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Might as well grease the chassie while its in the air.
You might allso go for an oil change too....Good Luck.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock