Clutch will not disengage by bvander
Started on: 09-01-2011 09:51 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: bvander on 09-11-2011 11:45 PM
bvander

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bvanderSend a Private Message to bvanderDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

'87 Fiero Sport. 2.5 L4 71k miles Isuzu 5 spd.

Clutch release problems occurred before anything was touched. Bought it with some problems but gradually got to the point it won't disengage maybe over about 200 miles. More on that later.

Have replaced clutch master and slave and clutch peddle with new, with good results for motion. Banjo up. I see that the slave should move a minimum of 1.15". Mine moves much further than that. Didn't check the old parts for movement before replacing same, but suspect they gave equal amount of slave throw based on the no gain situation.

Have it now at a reliable repair shop.

Replaced flywheel/clutch disk/pressure plate/throw out bearing with same result. The peddle to the floor is barely unable to disengage the clutch. When the peddle is to the floor, the engine starter sounds labored if in 1st gear so the clutch drags when starting. The fork and lever arm are both cast not one of the fabricated ones. What's the problem? Going to have the lever arm to fork fit checked to see if it has slipped. Any other ideas? I don't find a clutch arm to clutch yoke shaft installation instructions other than torque on the bolt.

Peddle does not stop prior to the floor as if the fork lever arm is restricted in motion as mentioned in another thread. Restricted due to improper lever arm clamp bolt length and fat nut.

Trans shifts normally if the engine is off. Prior to the poor disengagement original problem, the clutch was close to the floor but drivable amd shifted easily. Seems to have gotten worse somewhat gradually to the present state. The car had hints of this symptom when I bought it. I've had one Suzuki Sidekick and one v6 Fiero do the same thing but both of those were slave failures. So, I didn't think twice about buying this '87..............................

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

bvander

------------------
bvander

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
It would be interesting to know if there is more travel on the transmission lever that is not being used by the slave push rod. I'm not sure how you would test for this except to fabricate a longer push rod or determine that you ended up with the short one....(getrag).

Edit: Welcome to the Forum!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-01-2011).]

bvander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bvanderSend a Private Message to bvanderDirect Link to This Post
The arm moves at least 1.5". It should not need to move more than that. Only thing is if the arm is not indexed properly on the clutch shaft, it is not going to disengaged. I see no mention of indexing in all the manuals I saw on FieroNews.net nor the '88 manual I have on my shelf.

I don't know if the shaft has a keyway or not. The service shop has the car right now.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
bvander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bvanderSend a Private Message to bvanderDirect Link to This Post
Gall757

Thanks for the photo. That confirms our conclusion that it won't slip on the shaft. I was just at the repair shop and measured the motion of the slave again and now it is barely 3/4". Somewhere between my taking the car to the shop and the transmission removal, disassembly and reassembly of the clutch/flywheel, etc. the hydraulics got infiltrated with air. Wouldn't you know that it would act the same as the original faulty clutch sending us down the wrong road on the possible cause. Coincidence?

Will report back after the system is again purged of air.
bvander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bvanderSend a Private Message to bvanderDirect Link to This Post
Gall757

OK, success!! Extended slave push rod solved the problem.

In review, in order to put all the actions taken and results from that action I will list them and further refer to them by that number;

1. Changed slave. This cured a previous '87 V6 and a Suzuki Sidekick I once owned with exactly the same symptoms. This had no effect. No loss or no gain. I would take this step anyway as two out of three cars it worked. You can buy slaves for $22 or $60.
2. Changed master cylinder. About $60. This actually moved the disengagement point further into the carpet. The flywheel dragged on the clutch when starting and shifting was a chore. The push rod must have been slightly shorter.
3. Bought new clutch peddle from The Fiero Store due to history of faulty peddles from GM ($40 very prompt shipment). It seemed to make the clutch disengagement point even further into the carpet. When I held the OEM '87 peddle along side The Fiero Store peddle before installation, the pins looked like they were close to the same position but not exact. However, I did not make a measurement. Movement of the clutch lever/slave push rod was done at this point as I had read elsewhere in this blog that it must move at least 1.15 inch. Mine moved further. That made me suspect of clutch parts.
4. Towed the car to a repair shop to check out the clutch. The flywheel was cracked and the clutch disk was about down to the minimum thickness. Put in all new parts except used a remanufactured flywheel with no more than .010 removed while CNC resurfacing. There was some discussion whether the hydraulics were fully bled as the disengagement point was no better or worse than when I brought it in after reassembly. Bleeding was consequently done with a pressure bleeder. Car picked up had the same in the carpet disengagement point. No gain. $840. Not please to say the least. Obvious that I had to look further. (Flywheel was on the self at StandardFlywheels.com. The people were great and all worked like clockwork. Had flywheel in two days ($80 + $80 2nd day air freight. Could have been one day for exorbitant air fees.)
5. Installed a Rodney Dickman banjo adjustable push rod ($30 very prompt shipment.) Adjusted it so the peddle was up to metal to metal and down to just bottoming out the piston in the master cylinder if pushed into the carpet. Slight improvement but really not that drivable.
6. The last effort I had little faith in was to make a longer push rod from the slave to the clutch lever. Logic would tell you that the hydraulics is self-indexing as both the master and slave move about the same distance.
1/2" longer was too long. Couldn't get it into the gap with the slave mounting bolts backed off. Made it 3/8" longer and it all went together with a little looseness between the gap due to the piston floating freely in the slave bore once the slave mounting studs/nuts were tight. Not much, though. THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM.
You need to check for a little free play in the push rod so that when you tighten up the slave mounting nuts/studs, you don't clamp the push rod in the gap between a bottomed out slave piston and the clutch lever arm. I suspect if you do, it will put undue pressure on the throughout bearing and cause early failure. (The moderator can confirm or deny.)

My theory is that the extra compression of the spring in the slave due to the longer push rod moves the clutch lever further from the slave at the resting start point. The slave then needs less movement to push the clutch lever a shorter distance.

It would seem the tolerance build up in the Fiero clutch system leave little margin to work with. With this modification, the disengagement point still seems a little lower than I would expect.

In summary: I would measure the clutch lever arm motion to confirm 1.15+". This blog has some nice photos showing what goes bad on the older peddles. I would then jump to 6 if what your clutch lever movement shows is acceptable and the existing peddle looks good (not bent at the pin), as the bolt was $2.19 for a grade 8 6" long 3/8ths inch bolt. I rounded both ends and sanded them with 600 emery paper.

Your problem might not be the same build up of tolerances. Could be more involved. So take the steps above that seem to fit the details of the symptoms. I did not know about the 1.15" minimum throw until after replacing both the slave and master. I could have saved close to $1000 except for the cracked flywheel might not have been discovered. I really could have gotten by with the $2.19 bolt.

Hope this all helps. I know it would have been less stress for me if I had the chance to read this first. Good Luck!!!

[This message has been edited by bvander (edited 09-11-2011).]

Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperDirect Link to This Post
This has prettymuch been an issue for me as well, although I have 4 to 5 inches of free play at the pedal. I still have to push the pedal right to the floor to get the clutch to disengage. (Idk if it makes a difference but its a 4speed in a 5speed car)
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
This is a Getrag push rod. It should only be on the Getrag Slave, which is on the Getrag 5 speed.

All other transmissions operate with an Izusu slave, which has a push rod that is a little longer....about 3/8ths of an inch I guess.

Glad to hear you got it right even if it was the long way to get there.....
bvander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bvanderSend a Private Message to bvanderDirect Link to This Post
Gall757

I suppose anything is possible after a car is 24 years old. But, with 71k on it, you would think the parts would still be OEM. The engine compartment didn't look like it had been fooled with. I should check serial numbers.

That definitely was not the size of the rod I removed. The one removed is about 5.5" long. Now it is about 6" long. Thanks for the photo of confirmation. (Edited: Sorry, I misread the starting point on the tape rule when I assumed it was like the one pictured above.)

[This message has been edited by bvander (edited 10-05-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock