cable actuated rear decklid release by av8fiero
Started on: 08-30-2011 03:37 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: 86FieroSEv6 on 08-31-2011 10:10 PM
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Here are the pics of my cable actuated rear decklid release. I used the handle and cable assy for the front Fiero decklid on the rear latch. It bolts up to the latch like it's factory. I ran the cable through the drivers side support rib. I drilled a hole near the hinge for the cable to enter the rib, and another hole inside the sealed area of the trunk for the cable to exit the rib so the trunk is weather tight. I may change the position of the release handle. Right now the handle is on the rear bulkhead behind the drivers seat.

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 08-31-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86FieroSEv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
Awesome sauce.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Great idea, and less to go wrong than the stock electric release if so equipped
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Great for when you lose your trunk key AND the battery goes dead.

Not sure how you'd get in the car though, since the trunk key also unlocks the doors.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Great for when you lose your trunk key AND the battery goes dead.

Not sure how you'd get in the car though, since the trunk key also unlocks the doors.

I don't think the power solenoid will bolt on with this manual cable bolted to the latch, it looks like the cable will be in the way. This is just a simple alternative to the power setup. A plus is you never have to worry about a dead battery in order to release the latch. I have no external trunk key on my car[lock shaved, filled in, and removed], so I was looking for something more reliable than the power stuff. You can use this setup even if you retain the key lock. Where I have the handle mounted it's easier to release than having to fumble for and insert a key into the lock.

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 08-31-2011).]

86FieroSEv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
Maybe it would be possible to use a solenoid with a through shaft that you can attach the cable to in order to enjoy the best of both worlds?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock