3800 Gurus: Air Intake by BMTFIERO
Started on: 08-21-2011 08:20 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: tomsablon on 02-23-2012 12:48 AM
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
I am currently working on the intake for L67 and I have not decided on whether to keep the stock air can or go with something custom. My question is will the stock setup hinder performance and since I am using an N* throttle body will 3in. piping work or do I need 4in. piping instead. As always thanks for your comments on the subject.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

I am currently working on the intake for L67 and I have not decided on whether to keep the stock air can or go with something custom. My question is will the stock setup hinder performance and since I am using an N* throttle body will 3in. piping work or do I need 4in. piping instead. As always thanks for your comments on the subject.

NO on the stock airbox.....even opened up it will still hold you back.....Buy a polished 4 inch 90* bend from O'reillys, order a foot of ZZP's 4 inch intake hose a a KN filter....You will also need an extra coupler for the MAF to 90* bend.......
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I buy one or two of these depending on how I want the air filter to sit inside the fender (you can get away with just buying one): GM p/n: 25176891 - GM Truck induction tube/duct w/ bellows and clamps:

Cut in half (roughly) and reassmble by putting the now cut-off elbow onto the rest of the section that has the bellows on it. The bellows connect to the throttle body. Here are some pictures:

You can get away with using only 1 induction tube (cut in half and reassembled) if you run a smaller open-element K&N air filter (p/n: RU-3130) as seen below:

If you run a larger filter, you may need to buy a second induction tube and cut the elbow off of it so you can orient the filter as shown below:

These induction tubes were used on certain 99-newer GM fullsize pickup trucks that had the 4.3L V6; they measure 3.5" diameter so they are good enough for most performance applications. You might get lucky and find some in a junkyard and save some money since the price on new ones from GM have really gone up the past few years.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the info I going to hit the yards this friday.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I really like Darths setup he uses....Going to price it out and see what it cost....I like the idea of it being plastic .....

EDIT:looks like around $40..cant go wrong there if you only need one....

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 08-22-2011).]

JumpStart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

NO on the stock airbox.....even opened up it will still hold you back.

I am running the stock can which has a 4" out to the TB which seemed fine to me. Is the restriction issue between the fender and the bottom of the air can? Thanks

Steve

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I've used Darth's setup and it works fine. At little expensive, but it looks professional.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JumpStart:

I am running the stock can which has a 4" out to the TB which seemed fine to me. Is the restriction issue between the fender and the bottom of the air can? Thanks

Steve

The hole in the bottom of the canister.....
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

The hole in the bottom of the canister.....

Roger that. Thanks

Steve
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I built this 4" one with two 90° elbows and a 45° elbow. Got the rubber elbow at Ebay and the metal ones at AdvanceAuto.

IAT sensor.
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
That looks good!!!
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I had my last car set up that way, but didn't have it long enough to dirty the filter... For all those who have the round-style filter behind the panel, how do you change it?? Do you have to pull the wheel / wheel well liner, or is there enough room to do it through the bottom, or......? I was thinking about making a slide-in rectangle one that would pull out from "somewhere", but it would seem I'd still have to pull the tire... Was leaning towards having something removable from the engine bay, somehow... I'm too lazy / time-crunched to change my own oil, I'm sure it would confuse the hell out of the quick-change place when they go to look for the air filter... I guess it would keep them from pulling it every time to show me how clean it is though.. "It's fine, put it back!!!" LOL
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Pull the wheel / wheel well liner. I don't drive it that much to be a problem. Maybe once a year.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Pull the wheel / wheel well liner. I don't drive it that much to be a problem. Maybe once a year.

Highly suggested you do not pull the wheel liner if you drive it more than 100 miles a year.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Highly suggested you do not pull the wheel liner if you drive it more than 100 miles a year.

?? I just pull it out to clean filter. It is always on.
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonDirect Link to This Post
i have the west coast air intake. it pretty much ends up looking like the above pictured behind the wheel well ones shown. i wonder though how much splashing will occur if i drive it through a puddle. mine also has side(mecham) scoops . i'm wondering if the scoop will throw water on the filter? i was thinking maybe a shield added some place. but for sure i don't like the maint. hinderances. i have a plug in my intake. it looks like you guys have a sensor there? don't want to highjack a thread but am i missing something?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock