good deals always happen at the worst times by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 08-10-2011 02:07 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: gtxbullet on 08-11-2011 02:08 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
A friend called me yesterday, he is now willing to "part with" 2- 1988 fieros he's had sitting for 3-4 years. both are 4 cylinder stick, no rust, complete (1 has a wing) but I'm sure have the usual issues of cars sitting that long. 1 was his wifes car, got "Parked because the slave cyl went out, the other was just parked. $500 each !I "Wish" I had an extra 500 or the place to "Put it" what are the major differences in the 88s, (besides the suspension)?(& the front & rear bumper covers)? Didn't the engine have a "Balance shaft or something to make it "Smoother" ? Were the Transmissions strong enough to put up with any other engines ? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Different spring rates and no rear swaybar

The isuzu is the same as all the other years. You'll tear up 2nd gear in no time with any other engine

O and the engine was neutral balanced as opposed to previous years which were externally balanced

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 08-10-2011).]

JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I could've sworn the 88 4 cyls had an internal balance shaft which was known to cause problems. I'll need that verified by someone who knows for sure. I like the 87's because they got the DIS and didn't have the balance shaft.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
The big Chiltons shows some sort of balance thing, but not a 3rd shaft like a cam, & the oil filter is in the inside of the oil pan ! (Why would they do that ?? So, are these cars worth "bothering with" ? I don't particularly Like the front & rear covers.
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, the 87 and 88 have the same 2.5 Duke.

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Does the 88 engine run any SMOOTHER ?
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Not enough to make a difference
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Does the 88 engine run any SMOOTHER ?

When they were new, there was a noticable difference in the smoothness of the Tech 4 with the balance shaft compared to the one without it. The engine would also rev higher. The filter inside the pan is a pain to change and messy as well, compared to the spin on filter.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The 88 Duke had a combination oil pump and force balancer in the pan, driven off of a gear in the middle of the crank.
The balancers have been known to lock up and destroy themselves. Rodney Dickman sells replacemants, I believe.
Other than that, and the oil filter location, the 88 Duke is identical to the 87. Both have coil packs instead of a distributor.

The 88 coupe suspension is essentially identical to the GT and Formula suspension, except for the absence of the rear sway bar and the 14" wheels.

The Isuzu tranny is a bit fragile for engine swaps. 2nd gear doesn't like shock loading.
Having said that... If it's not beat on, it will likely be just fine with any engine it's bolted to.

If I was closer, I'd really be tempted...

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

JumpStart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
Darn....I have an 88 that i will be looking to sell maybe just because it is an auto. LOL

Steve
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

O and the engine was neutral balanced as opposed to previous years which were externally balanced

ALL Iron Duke engines are internally balanced.
88 and newer FWD engines have a balance shaft assembly in the oil pan to reduce the vertical "shaking" forces present in all four cylinders.

The crankshaft has a single plane, and pushes two pistons up at the same time two come down, which would theoretically balance perfectly on it's own, BUT the connecting rods create a situation where the acceleration of the two downward moving pistons does not match the acceleration of the two upward moving pistons. They both cover the same amount of distance, but the pistons motion is not quite sinusoidal.

The balancer spins at twice the engine speed and cancels out the uneven acceleration forces present each time the crank rotates through the TDC/BDC area.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
SO, if running correctly, Will the 88 duke run as decent as ,say, a 4 cyl nissan or such ? They don't shake. Thanks
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

SO, if running correctly, Will the 88 duke run as decent as ,say, a 4 cyl nissan or such ? They don't shake. Thanks

interesting comparison...
an 88 2.5L 4 cylinder Iron Duke 96 horse power TBI Engine with DIS (coil packs instead of distributor)
which is what In have in my 88 coupe is a very smooth engine. as far as vibration, each engine has it's own characteristics...
I've owned a 1984 SE 2.5L, a 1987 Base Coupe, a few parts cars, 4 V6 Fieros, and my 88 fiero. out of all of them the smoothest were the 87 and 88. maybe because of the different ignition system, or possible just because of up-to-date maintenence.

as far as your comparison...I have no god answer...

if you can get a rust free fiero for $500 go for it, even if it doesn't run. if I had someone in Florida heading back to wisconsin I'd have them pick up both of those 88's. and both being stick? SWEET!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock