Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  LS4 VS 3800SC install costs, opinions? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
LS4 VS 3800SC install costs, opinions? by HTXtremes
Started on: 08-04-2011 11:21 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 08-09-2011 02:26 PM
HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
I do not want this thread to turn into an argument I'm sure it will but lets keep it to the facts about builds and not say this one is better then that one. The purpose of this is to get folks that have built one or the other to post costs, fuel mileage,ups and downs to their builds. If people will only post about their own experiences on a build it should not turn into a thread to go to the trash can and be very informative for more people then just me. I've been reading lots of posts on both builds and am looking at one or the other.

I'm not looking for the cheapest or the best just want facts on install and I will use info for my decision.

As for what I want, I want a car that will be able to blow the doors offa a factory Sky Redline for one and pretty much be able to have a daily drivable car that car be a fire breathing dragon when the time is right, LOL. Either way the car will be a stick cause I believe a real sports car has a stick. If I go with the 3800SC, it will end up getting a turbo in the long run. As for the LS4 may not leave it a DOD and bore it to a 5.7 or sleave it to a 6.0, and build it up, then go to a cable throttle instead of the electric. If I use a 4.8 (3,266" stroke) crank with the 104mm bore of the 6.0 it would end up being a 327 like the gen 1 327s, would have less torque but that is not needed in a Fiero. If I bought an aftermarket crank for the build it would be a 3" stroke in the 6.0 bore to have a 302 like what was in the '69 Z28, short stroke high rev LS engine in a Fiero.

------------------
Proud owner of the "Tube frame Fiero"
'88 Coupe (extensive mods underway)
'85 GT (2.8 auto all stock)
'88 GT auto, white, formula wheels, getrag in near future
'88 Formula parts car
'00 GMC Sierra 4x4 long bed
'69 Chevelle coupe
'91 19' Baja Islander w/ 395hp vortec 305
[url] ]//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/000065.html[/URL]

[This message has been edited by HTXtremes (edited 08-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
The 3800SC would be the cheaper install that will get you what you are looking for. This is beacuse the 3800SC has been done a trillion times over and documented so well. The LS4 is a nice swap also that will net you the same HP stock as you would get from a mildly modded 3800SC. This LS4 install is not going to be as easy being there have only been a handful done that are documented.....I have done many 3800SC swaps with a few being my personal swaps and am working on my LS4 swap now...

Edit: After seeing you where wanting to stay 5 speed I will say the 3800SC swap hands down....The LS4/F40 swaps are in progress but still in the works...Can always go F40/LS?...

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 08-04-2011).]

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
I do have a F40 trans that I had mocked up to an Aurora V8 in my stretched 88 coupe chassis. I feel that it would work REAL well with the LS 302, lol.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
An LS4 swap will always cost more to do than a 3800 swap (at least until the day 3800's become more rare and more expensive than LS motors). That's because more work is required to get the LS4 to fit in the engine bay of a Fiero than what is required for a 3800.

Having said that, the LS4 is the shortest LS engine I've seen and I believe it fits in the Fiero the best out of all the LS engines. But it still isn't as small as a 3800. And for the extra time and money you are going to spend just getting a stock LS4 to work in a Fiero, you could put that same money in mods into a 3800 Series 2 or 3 SC engine and end up with more power than you'd get out of a stock LS4. Of course, using a 3800, you won't get that "V8 sound".

So it just comes down to what you want in a completed swap and how much you want to spend.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Good luck keeping this one civil. I hope that everyone who posts a reply, will only chim in what they know as fact. What will assit the FIERO community. Lets prove that we can have a civil discussion about our cars, and not turn this into a V8 vs SC3800 thread. We have enough of those.

That said, I have a LS376 in my 88 coupe, its not my daily driver and is a beast.

I am looking at doing up a daily driver 88 coupe with a SC3800. Things I want are (Auto trans, A/C, CC and Power Windows). Because its just going to be a driver, I don't care about rain, snow, parking lot dings, paint, etc.... I just want to drive it, have fun and not panic when its out of sight. SO I will be watching this thread. I hope it can stay civil, and like you asked "folks who have done it, chim in with the facts".

Prices (for the guy who does not have his own machine shop in the back yard)
Points of Contact (who to buy from, who to avoid)
Data (why you can't do this, why you have to buy that, etc)
Pictures (would be helpful)

Great Thread. Lets get the facts on!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 is definitely going to be cheaper/easier to do.

Especially if you want a manual trans.

EDIT: And if you're talking about re-sleaving the LS4 and making a custom crank, you're costs are going to skyrocket easily. 3800 with turbo is going to be way cheaper.

(Also, yes, I'm currently in the process of doing an LS4+F40 build.)

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 08-05-2011).]

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Direct Link to This Post
I would vote for the LS4, The Gen 4 small blocks are leaps and bounds ahead of the 3800 engineering wise. The LS4 is an aluminum block so even though it has an extra 2 cylinders the weight is going to be pretty close to the 3800. If you swap out the dod lifters, add some good valve springs and have the crank lanced revving to 7k is no problem. I personally have a 5.3L in my old blazer that i have bored over to a 5.7, balanced the rotating assembly. I make about 7 pounds of boost on this engine and it makes enough power to propel my almost 7000 lb on 37 inch tires from 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.
I am personally working on my own LS4 swap into a 87 Notch Back i choose it because it was the less common swap and i really enjoy the LS series of engines
Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynDirect Link to This Post
In you post you said something about the cheapest way of doing it correct? well Then hands down its going to be the 3800, but when I think of cheap I'm thinking of a few things;

Initial cost and availability of the motor and transmission.
Fabrication costs to get the Engine and Tranny mounted
All the little parts to get it all fixed up and working correctly.
And any additional parts that are needed like dyno time to make sure its running at peak.

It shows you are from Arkansas/Missouri area right? well Here is another thing that the 3800 has going for it that the LS4 does not, Quantity available. I can literally make 3 phone calls and get you a variety of 3800s with varying mileages and year models. I would probably call all day and not find an ls4. So your almost going to have to purchase one new. Which right now from GMPARTSDIRECT.com they are at 3712.80 not including any shipping and so on and so on.

Now which one that I would pick is a completely different topic all together.

Personally I like the LS4 so much more than the 3800. I drive a 3800 car every single day, they are great motors and this one has lasted me a long time, but If I had the option and wanted to make the investment I would drop it all in the LS4 out of those two options. The LS4 has a lot more potential then the 3800 on many accounts.

on I side note I would love to see that f40/4.0 Aurora motor!!
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
Syn if you go to my build thread under "my '88 coupe build" you can see the mock up on the '88 cradle.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Once you build the monster then you need to tune it. I am not sure about the LS4 tuning options but the 3800 tuning is well docummented and you'll get plenty of help if needed.
As far as sound goes BMWGURU is making the 3800 sound on par with with the rumble of the V8. I am truley impressed with what he has accomplished with elliminating the awfull 3800SC drone sound.

My vote is for a turbo 3800 + F23.
You can buy 100% of the conversion parts from vendors and have a proven platform to follow.
If you are doing the install yourself then you can "git er done" for under $3k while running 10's in the quarter mile.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I can't reply on costs since I don't know if fieroking wants it out there and I don't know what he would do a 3800 for, but I can comment on install satisfaction. I couldn't be happier. My ls4 is bone stock except for the turbo kit. When I'm tooling around town it is exactly like a stock ls4. When I mash the loud pedal it feels and sounds like a completely different car. Add to that I can add more boost and if I blow this engine I can replace it with another cheap low mileage stock engine instead of an expensive race built one. My turbo kit can make 640hp. Does anyone have figures on what it would cost to get a 3800 to that hp?
PFF
System Bot
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
Dratts what kind of fuel mileage do you get with your LS4 setup?
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a final tune on it yet, but I checked it once using my gps for the mileage and I got 26.5mpg while driving 50-70mph on the freeway and 1/3 city driving. Kevin says that the turbo will add 2-3mpg so I'm hoping for 30-33mpg on the highway after the final tune.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:
I can't reply on costs since I don't know if fieroking wants it out there and I don't know what he would do a 3800 for, but I can comment on install satisfaction. I couldn't be happier. My ls4 is bone stock except for the turbo kit. When I'm tooling around town it is exactly like a stock ls4. When I mash the loud pedal it feels and sounds like a completely different car. Add to that I can add more boost and if I blow this engine I can replace it with another cheap low mileage stock engine instead of an expensive race built one. My turbo kit can make 640hp. Does anyone have figures on what it would cost to get a 3800 to that hp?

Have you actually got it turned and on a dyno yet? Just wondering if it's actually making that much, since you keep saying it because that's what the real Murci has.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by nosrac:
Once you build the monster then you need to tune it. I am not sure about the LS4 tuning options but the 3800 tuning is well docummented and you'll get plenty of help if needed.

Tuning is pretty much the same as any other LS motor. So it's quite easy, and the LS aftermarket is incredibly huge if you want to change anything in the engine. But the more you change, the more you spend, which is sort of the antithesis of the question on topic.

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Have you actually got it turned and on a dyno yet? Just wondering if it's actually making that much, since you keep saying it because that's what the real Murci has.

I've been driving it quite a bit, but we still need to take it out with a laptop so that we can download the info and send it to Kevin for his tune. Then to the dyno for the fine tuning and a hp print out. Then to the drag strip for a 1/4 mile print out. I won't be doing a 3000 rpm line lock burn out though. I have a stock 4t65e hd with a stock convertor so I'll be doing a soft launch.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Any pics? I want the specs mang.

Interested in how clean it looks and where you mounted the IC.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Tuning is pretty much the same as any other LS motor. So it's quite easy, and the LS aftermarket is incredibly huge if you want to change anything in the engine. But the more you change, the more you spend, which is sort of the antithesis of the question on topic.

I didn't know if the LS4 parts were completely compatible with the other LSx engines. It thought it was a LS step child.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

I didn't know if the LS4 parts were completely compatible with the other LSx engines. It thought it was a LS step child.

Everything is compatible. The only real differences on the LS4 are the bell housing pattern, and the total length of the crankshaft. But any other LS crank can be shortened to match the LS4 length. Everything else you just need to match up with the rest of the parts you want to use. The LS4 heads are the same as on the LS2. I've got LS6 valve springs and lifters, LS2 intake, LS2 oil pump, LS2 Vette oil pan, and a stock LS1 cam, that are going in my LS4, to replace the DoD pieces. And now I'm thinking about grabbing a 4.8 crank to drop the torque and up the revs a little, so it will launch better, and I'll get better use out of 1st gear on the F40. Heck, the LS cranks are all exactly the same, except for the 4.8s, LS4, and LS7. The 4.8 has a shorter stroke, LS7 has a longer one, and the LS4 crank is 13mm shorter end-to-end (3mm one end, 10mm on the other).
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Direct Link to This Post

The block is different, it is a little shorter. The crank is a bit shorter in the front also. The LS4 actually uses 243 heads which are the same that came on the C5 Z06 vettes, they are the best flowing cathedral port heads from the factory
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blander66:

The block is different, it is a little shorter. The crank is a bit shorter in the front also. The LS4 actually uses 243 heads which are the same that came on the C5 Z06 vettes, they are the best flowing cathedral port heads from the factory

The block itself is not actually shorter. But you don't need the 1/2" thick adapter plate to mount it transverse in a Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Direct Link to This Post
Dang you beat me by a fraction of a second

Everything is compatible. The only real differences on the LS4 are the bell housing pattern, and the total length of the crankshaft. But any other LS crank can be shortened to match the LS4 length. Everything else you just need to match up with the rest of the parts you want to use. The LS4 heads are the same as on the LS2. I've got LS6 valve springs and lifters, LS2 intake, LS2 oil pump, LS2 Vette oil pan, and a stock LS1 cam, that are going in my LS4, to replace the DoD pieces. And now I'm thinking about grabbing a 4.8 crank to drop the torque and up the revs a little, so it will launch better, and I'll get better use out of 1st gear on the F40. Heck, the LS cranks are all exactly the same, except for the 4.8s, LS4, and LS7. The 4.8 has a shorter stroke, LS7 has a longer one, and the LS4 crank is 13mm shorter end-to-end (3mm one end, 10mm on the other).

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Kevin says that the turbo will add 2-3mpg so I'm hoping for 30-33mpg on the highway after the final tune.

How does adding a turbo increase your fuel economy over stock N/A??? You'll be making more power with the turbo which means the engine is going to need more fuel to make that power. I understand on the highway you won't be using the turbo to maintain cruising speed but how on earth does having a turbo on there increase gas mileage vs. not having it??? Also, how long has your turbo LS4 swap been on the road? How often do you race it? Do you have any track times or dyno numbers you can share?
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

How does adding a turbo increase your fuel economy over stock N/A??? You'll be making more power with the turbo which means the engine is going to need more fuel to make that power. I understand on the highway you won't be using the turbo to maintain cruising speed but how on earth does having a turbo on there increase gas mileage vs. not having it??? Also, how long has your turbo LS4 swap been on the road? How often do you race it? Do you have any track times or dyno numbers you can share?

Wouldn't a turbocharged motor be more efficient than the N/A because it's utilizing the exhaust energy (heat and flow) that's wasted on non turbocharged N/A motors?

[This message has been edited by Steel (edited 08-05-2011).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

The block is different, it is a little shorter.

The LS4 block is actually LONGER than the RWD versions, but the LS4 crankshaft is indeed shorter. The Metric bellhousing pattern is actually raised 0.203" from the RWD bellhousing. The two reasons for this are:
1. clear the bolts on the rear engine cover
2. make the shortened crankshaft flange be flush with the bellhousing so it can be used with the 4T65e-hd.

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The LS4 block is actually LONGER than the RWD versions, but the LS4 crankshaft is indeed shorter. The Metric bellhousing pattern is actually raised 0.203" from the RWD bellhousing. The two reasons for this are:
1. clear the bolts on the rear engine cover
2. make the shortened crankshaft flange be flush with the bellhousing so it can be used with the 4T65e-hd.

My bad i should have specified with accessory drive it is shorter than a normal LS
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

My bad i should have specified with accessory drive it is shorter than a normal LS

Yes, the whole package is shorter, but that's not the block.

Also, those accessories aren't necessarily used when swapped in a Fiero. The Vette/CTS LS motors were also shorter with accessories than other LS motors by a tiny bit in some cases.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Interested in how clean it looks and where you mounted the IC.

I can tell you while the LS4 is going to be a beast it will not win you any beauty contest with the way it looks in the engine bay. There is not a lot that can be done to make it look any better beside putting the engine cover on it. I have a few plans for mine once it is on the road and running to clean it up some but there is just not alot you can do.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:
I can tell you while the LS4 is going to be a beast it will not win you any beauty contest with the way it looks in the engine bay. There is not a lot that can be done to make it look any better beside putting the engine cover on it. I have a few plans for mine once it is on the road and running to clean it up some but there is just not alot you can do.

There's a lot you can do, but it's not cheap to do it. The stock LS4 top side is indeed pretty ugly compared to the other LS engines. fieroguru's install will look amazing of course, and mine will look pretty good, though I don't know if it will look as clean as his. We shall see though.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

I thought it was a tight fit anyway without adding a Turbo + IC??? I need to see this.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

I thought it was a tight fit anyway without adding a Turbo + IC??? I need to see this.

No--there is tons of room over the trans for a turbo.......
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

There's a lot you can do, but it's not cheap to do it. The stock LS4 top side is indeed pretty ugly compared to the other LS engines. fieroguru's install will look amazing of course, and mine will look pretty good, though I don't know if it will look as clean as his. We shall see though.

Will look in to his Thread and see what can be done...I am guessing the other LSX intakes that can be used look much better..>Add some fuel rails and beauty covers over VCs.....

Edit:Took a look at Fierogurus Thread and guess I need to start looking for LS2 intake and the needed parts to swap it over..Really does make it look much better...

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 08-05-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2011 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Will look in to his Thread and see what can be done...I am guessing the other LSX intakes that can be used look much better..>Add some fuel rails and beauty covers over VCs.....

Edit:Took a look at Fierogurus Thread and guess I need to start looking for LS2 intake and the needed parts to swap it over..Really does make it look much better...

LS2 intake is a pain if you plan to keep DoD. They are usually cheaper than LS1 or LS6 intakes though. I posted the suggestion in your thread already for the LS1 or LS6 intake if you can find one cheap.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/084589.html#p16

You can fit a lot in when you stretch the frame.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I have a ten inch stretch between the engine and the front firewall, so that's where my intercooler and reservoir went, but I don't see why the intercooler couldn't be placed in the trunk. When I saw the drues 3.4 turbo with an air to air intercooler low and in front of the engine with fans pulling air up through it I couldn't help wondering if that would have been an option on my install. I do have the option of putting 20 lbs of ice in my intercooler reservoir though for a dyno pull or a 1/4 mile run with a little extra boost.

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

I'm sorry for these double posts. I don't know what causes them and I can't delete them.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 08-06-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

I'm just quoting Kevin. Maybe we could compare it to Dogcreeks ls4. He has the same engine without the turbo and gets 30mpg highway. I've had it on the road for a couple of months now. No plans to compete with it. Dyno hp 1/4 mile time and speed will be posted as soon as I get Kevins final tune on it. It's just got a rough tune on it now, but it's pretty impressive. (at least to me)

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 08-06-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post
first i have not built a ls4/f23 combo but from what i have seen... low mile ls4's complete with accessories on ebay with harness and ecm for 1000.00, f23 trans 250.00 to 1000.00 depending on your goal for gearing, custom flywheel if you know where to find one likely around 700.00 or so, spec pressure plate and clutch 385.00ish, make a trans starter mount and get a starter that works this setup 200.00, rework the harness into a standalone and reflash the ecm 250.00ish, custom exhaust 500.00, if your somewhat mechanical you can make the motor, trans, and shift cable mounts yourself, otherwise you have to hire it done $$$???, some minor what nots and misc items will come up say 250.00 to 500.00. so around 3000.00 to 4000.00 ish. there will be little things you run into with any conversion and you will need to budget ahead for time and money.

i dont know much about the 3800 so i cant speculate.
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
You also have to consider time. you can complete a 3800 build in about a week, some do it faster than that.Cost of a 3800 build can very from 1200$ to 3000$ depending on what you want it to look like when your done. As a DD it would be a great. Also 3800 engine are very strong and reliable.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock