Started on: 08-04-2011 08:31 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: darkhorizon on 08-16-2011 11:51 PM
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I was driving down the road, about 60mph and hit a large crease that rocked my car pretty hard. I'm not sure if it is relevant. About a mile down the road I had to stop at a stop sign. Slowing down I noticed a rhythmic clicking/clunking coming from the rear. I pulled over and looked under my car and didn't notice anything dragging or stick in my wheel. I started driving down the road and noticed that I could feel it in my shifter assembly. While going slow there was a loud thumb that shook the car then the noise got even louder. It makes the noise in any gear, clutch in or out, engine on or off rolling down the road. I pulled over and then trailered it home.

I split the trans today and I thought I would find more damage. Now I wish I would have broke it more before I pulled it. Only one gear had a chip missing from it. Is this what was causing the noises and vibration?

There is more pieces stuck to the magnet than came from that gear. I looked everything I could see and didn't find any other gears chipped.

I have spare getrag internals. I've never taken the gears apart. How big of a job would it be to swap out the gears that have chips? Any special tools needed? I have a press.

I also need the seal that goes around the input shaft in the bell housing. Is it possible to take one out of another bell housing and installing without damaging it?

I'm tempted to do an F23 swap. But if I can fix the getrag for free...free is free. I would like to get it back on the road before Back To The Bricks/Woodward Dream Crusie in 10 days.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 08-04-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
What's the rhythm of the noise? Can you count the number of times you hear the noise per one tire revolution?

It doesn't seem like that little chip could make all the noise.....but maybe.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-04-2011).]

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
That looks like more metal than what came off the gear. Maybe you also have a damaged bearing that is chipping itself apart?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What's the rhythm of the noise? Can you count the number of times you hear the noise per one tire revolution?

It doesn't seem like that little chip could make all the noise.....but maybe.

I knew that it was on the diff gear, because we could push the car and it would make the noise about every single wheel rotation.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
OK....so I can't really tell where we are by that picture, but how many times does that little gear rotate with one revolution of the axle? If it is more than one time, you have another problem.

or am I being too obvious?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-05-2011).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I would say about every 10-15ft it would make a noise.

I really just want to know how hard it is to take the getrag apart to replace the broken bits. I have looked at the manual and it shows that I need a bunch of special "J" tools. Is it really necessary.

------------------
11.53@126.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Well I couldn't find an F23 for the price I wanted to pay right away. I wanted it on the road for this week. I just fixed the getrag with some spare parts I had. It really wasn't that bad of a job. Used a harbor freight 12 ton press, that has saved me a few times, and several random brass, steel rings, and sockets I had.

4th gears were chewed up pretty bad.

Not even a mile down the road on my test drive I got lit up by a police officer for supposedly going 71mph in a 55mph zone. I took 2nd up to redline then hit the brakes cause I had to slow down to turn back into the subdivision. He was in a pack of cars of oncoming traffic whipped around and got me. I don't think its possible that I was going that fast. Other than that, it seems to be back to normal.

------------------
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 08-16-2011).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Another Getrag saved!!

I really don't think I can get to 71mph in second gear......very impressive....

Actually I think police radar guns make errors when they clock a car that is accelerating....(personal knowledge here)...so if you were going 45 and then 60 and the cop was changing speed too....you may look like 71 to the radar gun.

have fun in court.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
What size tires do you have? Are they 32" diameter? What's redline?

If you have taller tires, or your redline is 6000+, you could very well have hit 71 MPH. If you have stock tires and redline was 5500, math says you can't go that fast, if this is a stock MG2 Fiero Getrag anyway.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
245/45 17 ~26"

Took it to about 6000, I start to float valves and lose power after that.

Yea its a stock getrag besides the larger spider gears, but same ring gear.

------------------
11.53@126.7

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Another Getrag saved!!

I really don't think I can get to 71mph in second gear......very impressive....

Actually I think police radar guns make errors when they clock a car that is accelerating....(personal knowledge here)...so if you were going 45 and then 60 and the cop was changing speed too....you may look like 71 to the radar gun.

have fun in court.

This is true.. there is one of those "this is your speed" signs on the way to work.... it would always read 2-4mph low if I was slowing down.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock