Anti theft switch? by Shill
Started on: 07-31-2011 11:41 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 08-03-2011 07:33 PM
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
Been having theft issues with my car lately, unfortunately my ignition is broken and I rarely ever pull my keys out of my pocket. Read a few months back about someone selling a self resetting fuel pump switch which would be great to have, and saw another post about someone tying in a kill switch that you must pull back on the turn signal stalk to start the car. I would say I am good at soldering and wiring, Do alot of PCB soldering, but can't say the same for designing my own stuff. Anyone have some ideas for me? possibly utilize the non functioning cruise control buttons?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
A latching relay that is activated by the button on the end of the cruse control stalk.

The output of that relay supplies power to the fuel pump.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
I installed a simple toggle switch that's mounted in a really strange spot. That toggle switch interrupts the power from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and will not allow the car to crank. Simple, cheap and effective. That little switch has deterred 2 theft attempts and saved my car.

Mark
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

I installed a simple toggle switch that's mounted in a really strange spot. That toggle switch interrupts the power from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and will not allow the car to crank. Simple, cheap and effective. That little switch has deterred 2 theft attempts and saved my car.

Mark

With a stick Fiero you could also break the clutch safety switch circuit and insert a hidden toggle switch there. On an auto just put the theft switch in the fuel pump fuse circuit.
Meanwhile some easy ways to stop theft in a pinch would be to pull the fuel pump fuse or on some engines remove the distributor to coil wire and take that with you.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Had a friend that wired his 88 Chevy truck so he had to use the parking lights for the starter to engage. There are many ways to make it more difficult to steal.
-Joe
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I use the parking brake.....even the car wash boys can't figure than one out.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
So, let's say I do wire it into my cruise control. Bad idea to split the signal and use ti to power the stock cruise control relay, and also my custom built relay?
85fierogtmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fierogtmasterClick Here to visit 85fierogtmaster's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85fierogtmasterDirect Link to This Post
Find a way to add this into ur dash or something similar and there u go
http://keytroller.com/START-SMART.html
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I've heard of people using the cigarette lighter circuit for ignition.

Push the cigarette lighter in, the car can be started. Without it - no way.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-03-2011).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
When I'm concerned I just pull my ecm fuse. You could easily replace the ecm fuse with a bad fuse with two wires solidered to it going through another fuse and a hidden switch. Kill the ecm and you can crank the car all day and it will not start...

A good theif often knows how to get around a GM starter kill switch but they are not as familiar with the ecm power or fuel pump relay for that matter.

To be really sneaky put a bad fuse in the ecm spot and wire off the back side of the fuse box to a switch and fuse and they would never know what was going on.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 08-03-2011).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I put a remote system in one of my Fieros that disconnects the fuel injector power when you lock it with the key fob. Unless you unlock it with the key fob, you can't start it.
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fierogtmaster:

Find a way to add this into ur dash or something similar and there u go
http://keytroller.com/START-SMART.html

i think cliff has something like that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock