Started on: 07-26-2011 09:22 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Francis T on 07-30-2011 08:51 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
In the process of rebuilding my GT, I've been cleaning suspension and frame parts for powdercoating. I have a sandblasting cabinet, but that takes forever given how heavy the rust is on some of these parts. Finally I started looking into acid dipping for rust removal. Being that I'm trying to stick to some kind of budget, I wanted to do the work myself. So muriatic was my first interest as a diy rust eater. A little research showed however that it's not a good choice, as it gets into the pores of the metal and can never be completely neutralized. This of course results in corrosion from the acid itself. After some more looking around, I found that phosphoric is the acid of choice for rust removal. It eats the rust, but doesn't corrode the metal (apparently). As I looked around, I found some references to a Klean-Strip product called "Prep and Etch". which is a phosphoric acid based product. Aside from being effective, it's pretty inexpensive at $15 a gallon. I went to Home depot and picked up three gallons.

The process with this stuff is to spray or brush it on, and let it dry, much like most other rust converter product. But I saw some complaints in using that method, the primary one being that it leaves behind a sludge that never seems to dry completely. As a result of my own experimenting with different methods, I devised my own method, which works well for somewhat smaller parts. First, I have a "dirty" container which holds 1 - 1.5 gallons of the product. I actually soak my parts in this container. How long depends on the severity of the rust. If it's light rust, this step probably isn't necessary. But since I'm mainly dealing with suspension parts, everything is (was) pretty heavily rusted. After soaking in the container for up to two or three days, I remove the parts, and rinse off the sludge that's left behind. The result (in most cases) is a part that literally looks brand new, except for any scarring from the rust. The problem is, that the part will flash rust as it dries. To resolve that, once the part is completely dry I apply a very *thin* coat of the same product from a clean batch with a brush, and let it dry. This leaves a surface that is sealed and etched, ready for paint. I haven't applied powder coating over any of the treated parts yet, but I assume that should work fine as well. I'll update after I've had a chance to try that out. One thing I noticed is that once in a while the second application of the acid will result in some foaming. Whether that is the result of the part not being completely dry and the acid mixing with some residual water, or something else, I'm not quite sure. But I just wipe that off with a shop rag and it seems to be fine.

Anyway, these are some pictures of how well this stuff works.

This is a rear strut assembly right before being pulled apart, and represents the condition of the parts before being soaked in the acid:

Here is the spring hat after soaking for a couple of days, and after washing off the black sludge that was left behind. The untreated hat is there to show how it looked before I started. There was no prior treatment of the part, I just plunked it in the acid as it came off the car.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here is the spring hat and a brake shield after being washed of the sludge, and the second application of the acid. These parts are ready for paint or powder just as they are. A word on the brake shield; I previously tried to clean one from the front and had the worst time of it. I tried abrasive blasting with 80 grit aluminum oxide, I tried the wire wheel, and eventually ended up with a soft grinding pad on my hand grinder to get it clean. The grinding of course removed a lot of metal in the process. This shield went into the acid just as it came off the car. I was amazed at well it worked.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass this along. I made reference to it in another thread and thought it was worth posting as a separate thread for those who are doing any restoration work.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 07-26-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
A car battery, a tub of water, a chunk of iron and a box of baking soda does the same thing.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

Zero effort and No nasty acid or other stuff to properly dispose of. do it outdoors away from flames and sparks... In your basement or garage = BOOM!

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 07-26-2011).]

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

A car battery, a tub of water, a chunk of iron and a box of baking soda does the same thing.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

Zero effort and No nasty acid or other stuff to properly dispose of.

That's true, although it's washing soda, not baking soda. Also the construction of the tank has to be such that you have electrodes spread out all over the place, as it's a "line of sight" type of process. Plus., the finish product has no protective coating, and it's not etched properly for paint or powder.

But yeah, electrolysis is a decent method of rust removal. I just think this stuff is better and you don't have to build a tank for it. (I just use a plastic dish tub)
Mcfleev-O

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mcfleev-OSend a Private Message to Mcfleev-ODirect Link to This Post
I just use PB Blaster
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
What an awesome tip, thanks for documenting it! -Jason

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mcfleev-O:

I just use PB Blaster

To remove rust and prep for paint?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I went to Home depot and picked up three gallons.

Sounds cool, might need this someday.
Paint department at Home depot?
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Taijiguy

12198 posts
Member since Jul 99

Originally posted by 2.5:

To remove rust and prep for paint?

Glad someone said it...
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

That's true, although it's washing soda, not baking soda. Also the construction of the tank has to be such that you have electrodes spread out all over the place, as it's a "line of sight" type of process. Plus., the finish product has no protective coating, and it's not etched properly for paint or powder.

But yeah, electrolysis is a decent method of rust removal. I just think this stuff is better and you don't have to build a tank for it. (I just use a plastic dish tub)

Good point! adding the stuff you found for a last treatment will get rid of all rust and have it ready for an etching primer and final paint.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
there is this stuff as well: http://www.evaporust.ca/

PFF
System Bot
pop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popDirect Link to This Post
This is really easy to use-
http://www.ospho.com/
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pop:

This is really easy to use-
http://www.ospho.com/

Maybe, but yikes, it's also 45 bucks a gallon. The Klean Strip is 15 bucks a gallon, and you c an pick it up at Home Depot or Ace, so no shipping cost. That's part of the appeal is the low cost and being readily available.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 07-27-2011).]

Smeaudio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SmeaudioSend a Private Message to SmeaudioDirect Link to This Post
im using this trick to clean up some of my rear knuckles and some exhaust manifolds ... so far i like what i see and its only been soaking for about two hours...
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I have a plastic tub with 5 galllans of concrete etching in it; It does the same thing and is cheeper. You can also reuse it over and over. You can find it the paint dept at Home Depot. If the rust is heavy I'll let the item soak overnight.

------------------

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 07-30-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock