Check engine light at idle only - higher RPMS by ferrobi
Started on: 07-10-2011 07:05 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: ferrobi on 08-23-2011 10:08 PM
ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiDirect Link to This Post
Ok - I have had this problem for the past few years and thought I'd post to see if anyone could help.

- Stock '87 2.8V6 5 speed -

Situation

First - idle is roughly 2000-1800 at start - though after i drive it a while it goes down to 1100-1500

Second - drive for a while get to operating temp and come to a stop then check engine light after it settles down to idle.

Third - put in in gear and go and check engine light goes off in about 5 seconds - then repeat at next stop.

I already changed IAC -

Any thoughts ?

Thanks Rob

[This message has been edited by ferrobi (edited 07-10-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiDirect Link to This Post
Also I will check the codes again but I've done this before and never got anything stored in the computer

[This message has been edited by ferrobi (edited 07-10-2011).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
My bet is on a code 35.

Take an aluminum pop can and using the UPC symbol as a guide cut a vertical strip the width (bigger side) of the UPC symbol and the height of the can, stopping where the top and bottom flare out. Flatten it. Take the distributor cap off so you have some room to work. Then loosen the two 10mm bolt heads on the bottom of the intake manifold where the EGR tube bolts to it. Slide the aluminum can between the intake manifold and tube. Then re-tighten the two bolts. See if that makes your warm idle go down. If so you have a leak in your EGR tube.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-10-2011).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
It actually sounds like it's an idle above setpoint that could be caused by the Idle Air Control (IAC)

Edit to add, I just checked the manual and Code 35 is IAC, high idle.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-10-2011).]

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiDirect Link to This Post
It was the EGR tube - broken / cracked right at the top. Ordered one from Ebay from FieroFever that I liked better than the one Fiero store is selling. Easily replaceable and it does not have a rubber core.

Now it idles at 900-1000 RPM - SWEET

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock