4.9 computer getting really hot. by bristowb
Started on: 06-30-2011 08:31 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: bristowb on 07-01-2011 04:39 PM
bristowb

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
My 4.9 computer is getting really hot to the touch. Once it gets hot it seams as thought it is causing my stumbling and sensor problems. Once the computer cools it runs perfectly. Is the computer supposed to get hot. I am talking almost burn your hand hot. I can't stand to touch for more than a 2-4 seconds befor I yank my hand away. Is this normal?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
No - it's not normal.

Is the case grounded? Do you have the case isolated from all metal?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I don't recall mine getting any warmer than "toasty". It definitely doesn't burn my hand.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
If one of the voltages the ECM puts out is getting grounded that would really cause the ECM to heat up.

It could be one of the +5v pins or it could be a pin to a sensor where the ECM sends out voltage to read a resistance.
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
The case is not grounded. I is in the original Fiero location and bracket modified to house the computer. It's just a plastic bracket.
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post

bristowb

745 posts
Member since Oct 2009
I am gonna pull out the wire harness and strip it all down today and re do it. If that does not work well then I am gonna have tot try something else.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If you don't find anything, we can plug it in, in my car, and see if it gets hot. If the problem follows the ECM, you'll know what's going on.
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Steve.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Would it be easier for the two of you to swap ECU's for a few minutes to see if the problem follows the ECU?
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have the insulation on the firewall? It does make a difference.

My ECU was getting toasty (burns the fingers) from engine bay heat, and having stumbling problems after extensive heat (like in gridlock), so I added a fan.

The heat wasn't coming from the ECU itself, because the case would stay cool if I drove without the centre console cover.

I too am using the stock plastic bracket.
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
yes the heat shelding is still there. But there is a pass throught where the wires go that is still wide open.
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
You can just slip the bulkhead fitting over the wires and not glue them to keep the heat out.
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Mine gets hot as well. Not so hot as to burn but defiantly hotter than I would think it should be.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I was having the same problem on my old 85 and it turned out that the transmission cable grommet had popped out of the hole. Even though it was covering the hole, apparently there was enough air pressure to push the engine heat into the passenger compartment.
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
have tried the bulk head cover but I can't remember how it fits and how it attaches to the bulkhead.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock