Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Do not use Chinese made rear bearing hubs. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Do not use Chinese made rear bearing hubs. by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 06-27-2011 07:49 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 07-07-2011 06:57 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Just changed a read bearing hub today for a guy. He was one who decided to save money and install a Chinese made bearing hub on the rear left of his 3.4L Fiero. The owner told me that it never ran as quiet as the stock unit bit it worked, well for six months and 5 k miles! Then the grinding noise started getting bad.
We pulled out that hub and it was nasty. The steel used on those Chinese hubs is very soft. I've handled new ones and the side to side play is like 1/16" right out of the box. Just for reference I hit an old used Fiero hub that was here in the garage with a hammer and no dent was apparent. Hit the hub plate on the Chinese and a flat mark appeared. A word to the wise; use only Timken, BCA or Bower USA made bearing hubs. The Chinese hubs are of LOW bottom of the barrel quality and won't last. I've read stories online that they even break apart on occasion. Whats your life worth?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MeAndMyFi

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeAndMyFiSend a Private Message to MeAndMyFiDirect Link to This Post
I see this all the time too. If any of you guys were to replace a bearing on any of your vehicles spend the extra money on a better quality bearing. Sometimes its not the best idea to save a few bucks on certain things. Since working at autozone and seeing what costumers AND shops use and bring back just to save a few bucks its worth spending on the better bearing and saving yourself from doing the job twice in one year. The timkins and duralast bearings both carry a 1 year warranty but clearly the timkin will last you more than a year.
IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
Agreed.

I'm building up an 86 for the wife. I purchased 2 new Timken rear hubs for it. AZ had a sale on them, but even if they didn't, I would still go with them.

My 85 was going through a rear hub every 1000 miles before I realized it was chinese parts. Bought a BCA set a while back and have not replaced the rear hub in years.
I had different issues, I had the Hub Nut come loose, I tightened it back up and used a jamb nut and locktite. It still came "loose". It was a bad bearing.
Had a wobble to the rear wheels, thought it was a out of round / bad balance wheel. Turned out to be a bad bearing.
Had one explode on the freeway many years ago. Left a cloud of thick black smoke that my friend (who was behind me) couldn't see through.
They were all different "manufacturers", but all from china.

-Dave
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Please, if you're going to complain about something coming from China being of poor quality, do not generalize as if everything coming from China is crap. State exactly what manufacturers are causing you problems. Call the Federal Trade Commision and complain to them about the specific manufacturer, and not a general rant about China.

For what it's worth Timken is about to expand their manufacturing to China as well, adding to the numerous countries where they produce parts. I'm sure they will continue to enforce a higher quality in their production, regardless of where they are manufactured.

If you really think everything from China is complete crap, then just go give away everything you own to someone else, and walk on up to the Ozarks, find a cave, crawl inside, and never leave. It's the only way you're going to live in these United States in the 21st Century, and not have anything made outside the country. The world economy is a global space, and with billions of people to build a work force out of, you can bet your entitled American ass that only more and more companies are going to expand manufacturing of goods to China and India eventually as well.

If you want to rant about China, go over to the Off Topic forum and have a ball with ulahnstan. If you want to talk about specific problems with parts from specific manufacturers, then Tech is a good place for it. But Tech isn't the place for socio-political rants. Just like the 70s TV commercials with the Native American telling you not to litter the streets, please stop littering the forums, and put your garbage in the right place.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Geez, lighten up, dude. A lot of us have been around the block a few times and we have seen a lot of crap come from China, regardless of who's name is on the box. It's hit and miss, but mostly miss. I buy a lot of car parts (and a good amount of antique tractor parts) and have watched the quality go way down hill over the past decade. If it's made in China, it's suspect. Bearings and hub assemblies are at the top of the list on that, followed by brake rotors that have soft spots, cracks or are warped in the box, brake pads that have to be ground to fit and calipers that require a few trips back and forth to the parts store to find one that is all there or will fit correctly.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Please, if you're going to complain about something coming from China being of poor quality, do not generalize as if everything coming from China is crap.

But it IS!
I've yet to see anything - & I mean ANYTHING - made in china that was up to par to the standards we used to be able to get in this country. (Mush less NOT POISON.) I currently have THREE devices (Frankendolly, the rotisserie, & the rear temporary cradle) That are USELESS 'cause I can't get tubes that hold air (nothing but china CRAP available). Plus, you're sending your money to a communist dictator with the world's worst human rights record. They're laughing their asses off taking all our money (several times on the same part!) & leaving us with crap that costs us UNTOLD HOURS of LOST PRODUCTION.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

China scorecard:
1) Bolts not up to grade. The *aircraft* industry had several failures because they were marked a higher grade than they were. They no longer use imported bolts.
2) Poison pet food.
3) Poison pet food - again.
4) Tires that blow out.
5) Poison toothpaste. Contains the same toxic that's found in anti-freeze.
6) More poison toothpaste. Import of toothpaste was banned from china so they combined it with toothbrushes so that it could be imported as "toothbrushes", to get rid of the poison toothpaste!
7) Toys made of lead. Imported by Mattel.
8) Toys with lead paint & small magnets that can kill children if swallowed. Imported by Fisher Price.
9) Poison pet food - the third time.
10) Poison children's paint sets - sold at Toys R Us.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
12) More (nearly a million recalled) Mattel toys with lead paint.
13) Flip-Flops at wallmart that cause a rash.
14) 1 million baby cribs recalled after 3 children die.
15) About 1.5 million Thomas the tank engine toys.
16) "Play Yards" with strings that strangle children.
17) Happy Giddy Garden toys that - you guessed it - contain lead.
18) Purple haloween pails from Dollar Stores that contain lead.
19) Disney Winnie the Pooh dolls that contain lead.
20) Bead kits that contain lead.
21) 500,000 KB toys wooden blocks.
22) Baby Einstien toys.
23) "Discover & Play" blocks.
24) 1.5 MILLION Cub Scouts "Totem" badges that contain lead.
25) Levels that are NOT LEVEL! Try building a house with that!!!
26) Recall of certain children's items due to a lead exposure risk or entrapment/suffocation/choking hazard. The products include Halloween-themed baskets, children's jewelry, shaving paint brushes, pencil pouches, Boppy pillow slipcovers, flashing pacifiers, and storage racks with canvas totes.
27) COUNTERFEIT smoke detectors! Wonder how many folks have BURNED TO DEATH because of them?
28) You can add chain block that give while lifting a Fiero too. Lucky i wasn't under. Capacity was 2 tons, guy at the store told me that it wasn't meant to lift car. Two tons of car or two tons of S--- what's the difference I answered him. Thing was brand new. - Robert 2 on PFF
**) Hell there's so many on the news every night I can't write them down fast enough! FAR more than I've listed here.

Made in China: NOT gonna' buy ya'.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Simple minds can make broad determinations with conviction.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

But it IS!
I've yet to see anything - & I mean ANYTHING - made in china that was up to par to the standards we used to be able to get in this country. (Mush less NOT POISON.) I currently have THREE devices (Frankendolly, the rotisserie, & the rear temporary cradle) That are USELESS 'cause I can't get tubes that hold air (nothing but china CRAP available). Plus, you're sending your money to a communist dictator with the world's worst human rights record. They're laughing their asses off taking all our money (several times on the same part!) & leaving us with crap that costs us UNTOLD HOURS of LOST PRODUCTION.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

China scorecard:
1) Bolts not up to grade. The *aircraft* industry had several failures because they were marked a higher grade than they were. They no longer use imported bolts.
2) Poison pet food.
4) Tires that blow out.
6) More poison toothpaste. Import of toothpaste was banned from china so they combined it with toothbrushes so that it could be imported as "toothbrushes", to get rid of the poison toothpaste!
8) Toys with lead paint & small magnets that can kill children if swallowed. Imported by Fisher Price.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
22) Baby Einstien toys.
26) Recall of certain children's items due to a lead exposure risk or entrapment/suffocation/choking hazard. The products include Halloween-themed baskets, children's jewelry, shaving paint brushes, pencil pouches, Boppy pillow slipcovers, flashing pacifiers, and storage racks with canvas totes.
27) COUNTERFEIT smoke detectors! Wonder how many folks have BURNED TO DEATH because of them?
28) You can add chain block that give while lifting a Fiero too. Lucky i wasn't under. Capacity was 2 tons, guy at the store told me that it wasn't meant to lift car. Two tons of car or two tons of S--- what's the difference I answered him. Thing was brand new. - Robert 2 on PFF
**) Hell there's so many on the news every night I can't write them down fast enough! FAR more than I've listed here.

Thanks for setting the record straight. I would like to add that when my mom passed away 5 years ago I got some of her kitchen appliances, some that were over 30 years old and all were made in the USA. All still worked like new including a light hand held GE mixer. The Chinese kitchen appliances that we are now forced to buy at Walmart last about 2-3 years and then you throw them away and buy another one. ALL Chinese made stuff is PURE CRAP. Except for electronics (where you have no choice) I'll take American, Canadian or European made auto parts any day. Actually some of the Bosch stuff made in Brazil and AC Delco Mexico parts aren't bad either but China -NO WAY!
So why is Chinese quality so bad? One answer-inferior materials. For instance American bearings are made from case hardened steel made from pure iron ore ingots to ABEC standards. Chinese steel is usually made from melted down junk cars or from scrap that contain lots of impurities. It is those impurities that cause Chinese steel to be so soft that it wears out very quickly. Their aluminum is also very porous and weak. The QC is terrible as they ship everything whether it meets spec or not and their environmental and human rights records are attrocious. I wouldn't put that cheap sh*t on my Fiero, if they gave it to me for nothing.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-28-2011).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
"Please, if you're going to complain about something coming from China being of poor quality, do not generalize as if everything coming from China is crap"
Just about everything ive bought from China turns out to be crap or throw away technology. Thats mainly why I do not buy from wal-mart. Its China's largest pipe line into the USA aside from ebay. I could go on or 2 more pages about it so ill stop here.

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 06-28-2011).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
My dad had this Chinese drill bit set that when we tried to drill some steel it untwisted completely. Chinese bearings anything I stay away from if I can and that's pretty tough. I just got a AC Delco 4.9 waterpump and it's from China.
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post
This is getting off topic, but, do any of you guys fly anywhere? Does it bother you that parts of virtually every commercial aircraft and engine these days come from China? There are very good parts from China and very bad ones. You can rant all you want, but sometimes you just don't have a choice where things are made.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
There is good advise here but no one is telling anyone where to spend their money. If you like Chinese auto parts so much, then go out look for them, give them your money and put them on your Fiero. You may not live to tell about it when your wheel falls off at 75mph but you'll surely save a few bucks. My good friend Henry had a set of cheap asian tires on his car that let go on the interstate. His car spun across all three lanes and he was lucky to barely get out alive. Now he uses Goodrich tires. Chinese products will save you money. Can't argue about that.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
There is good advise here but no one is telling anyone where to spend their money. If you like Chinese auto parts so much, then go out look for them, give them your money and put them on your Fiero. You may not live to tell about it when your wheel falls off at 75mph but you'll surely save a few bucks. My good friend Henry had a set of cheap asian tires on his car that let go on the interstate. His car spun across all three lanes and he was lucky to barely get out alive. Now he uses Goodrich tires. Chinese products will save you money. Can't argue about that.

Where were 99% of the parts in your cell phone made? The computer you're using to get on the Internet? The many hundreds of devices all the communication between your computer and the web server you're talking to (and the hardware it's running on)?

That's right. China and/or Taiwan.

I've seen just as much complete and utter crap with "Made in USA" stickers on it. It's not about where things are made. It's about what standards they were made to adhere to. What's important is the quality, and not the origin. And most of the "Made in the USA" stuff isn't an entirely true sentiment either. Most ubber to make tires comes from South America. Metals come from all over the world. No 'nation' on this planet is an island, and to think you can have all the luxuries of the modern world sourced only from local mines, workers, etc… then you are very confused.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Simple minds can make broad determinations with conviction.

And intelligent old farts have a LOT of experience to draw from.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
Those Chinese do make really good fake rubber dog feces though. Just don't eat it !
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Where were 99% of the parts in your cell phone made?

Probably Japan.

The computer you're using to get on the Internet? The many hundreds of devices all the communication between your computer and the web server you're talking to (and the hardware it's running on)?
That's right. China and/or Taiwan.

Yep, I built this computer myself from new parts, & there are a lot of chinese parts in it ("cause I couldn't get anything else). Funny how almost ALL those parts have quit, now! The CD burner, the temp sensors/display, some of the fans, the fan controls, the sound card, the harddrives; ALL have quit!!! Even the lights on the case are screwed up. I can't tell you how much time I've spent - LOST PRODUCTION TIME - fixing the crap that has quit. IIRC the motherboard was made in the U.S. - it's still working.

I've seen just as much complete and utter crap with "Made in USA" stickers on it. It's not about where things are made. It's about what standards they were made to adhere to. What's important is the quality, and not the origin. And most of the "Made in the USA" stuff isn't an entirely true sentiment either. Most ubber to make tires comes from South America. Metals come from all over the world. No 'nation' on this planet is an island, and to think you can have all the luxuries of the modern world sourced only from local mines, workers, etc… then you are very confused.

Yeah you're right & that's where the real shame is. U.S. products have had to compete with CHEAP CRAP & in an economy where no one can afford to buy anything, & it's getting harder & harder to find anything made of quality. It'll be this nation's fall - & again the chinese are laughing all the way to the bank.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
OK I'll wade in ---- If you by a drum / rotor it's from "off shore" as is the vast majority of "replacement" parts. NAFTA was the first step in the death of USA made items requiring "inviromental concerns" (let someone else choke on the smoke). I was in the auto parts business for overe 20 years and have seen the original "off shore" products that were and in many cases still are junk, however, USA companies such as DANA CORP / BORG WARNER / RAYBESTOS / FEDERAL MOGUL and others now have control and or ownership of state of the art manufacturing facilities world wide including CHINA. If you buy parts from a company that is in the "zone" of purchasing at the lowest price you will find a large amount of parts that have lower quality. But if you buy enough at dirt cheap prices you can afford to replace the product "limited lifetime". IF YOU WANT QUALITY PRODUCTS --go to parts stores that HAVE QUALITY PRODUCTS. These include CAR QUEST / FEDERATED-FISHER & UNI SELECT and ROCK AUTO Look for the name brand or OEM products as these stores also carry price point items. For ignition stay with STANDARD RED BOX.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

But it IS!
I've yet to see anything - & I mean ANYTHING - made in china that was up to par to the standards we used to be able to get in this country..

This is why I refuse to buy any AC delco parts if I cant open the box and read the country of origin stamp on it. Most ACdelco parts are china crap as well nowdays.

Blame the Executives at GM, and the general public that does not want to pay honest prices for parts.

a fiero front rotor should cost about $125.00 NOT the $39.00 that most people are willing to pay.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Please, if you're going to complain about something coming from China being of poor quality, do not generalize as if everything coming from China is crap. State exactly what manufacturers are causing you problems.

Good luck... the "price leaders" in China don't take enough pride in their work to put their names on their products... not that you could read the characters anyway. By the time these parts get to us, they've been in so many different boxes, finding out who actually made them is nearly impossible. That's the way the junk makers like it. Nothing they do ever comes back to bite them.

I've yet to see anything - & I mean ANYTHING - made in china that was up to par to the standards we used to be able to get in this country.

You've never seen an iPhone? I find that hard to believe.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The Chinese kitchen appliances that we are now forced to buy at Walmart last about 2-3 years and then you throw them away and buy another one.

Let's really set the record straight. NO ONE is forcing you to buy Chinese crap at Walmart. You *CAN* buy pretty much every type of product at Walmart from domestic manufacturers. Be preparted to spend a LOT of time looking and then spend more than 5 times as much money.
Not so hot on spending 5 times as much money? You'd better re-evaluate your tolerance for Chinese-manufactured items.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000
OBTW, China is selling rockets on the international market, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...arch_(rocket_family)

However, they have also said that they can't beat the prices of an AMERICAN company: SpaceX ( www.spacex.com )
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Seems to be a world wide epidemic. Try to attack labor and cut the cost of production, been going on since the early '80s. The Chinnese are having the most success at it though, labor has always been cheap and they are doing a great job of keeping production cost down inturn exporting lots of finished goods. What's new!

Just don't buy the stuff in the first place and you'll be happy.
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

This is getting off topic, but, do any of you guys fly anywhere? Does it bother you that parts of virtually every commercial aircraft and engine these days come from China? There are very good parts from China and very bad ones. You can rant all you want, but sometimes you just don't have a choice where things are made.

Boeing and Airbus are the two major commercial airplane manufacturers in the world. Boeing manufactures most of their aircraft in Renton, WA or Everett, WA, with a new facility being built in Charleston, SC. Airbus is a consortium of European manufacturers that has assembly all over western Europe with final assembly in Toulouse, France. Other airplane manufacturers include Embraer (Brazil), Bombardier (Canada), and deHavilland (UK). No major airplanes that are used worldwide are designed OR manufactured in China.

Likewise, most aircraft engines are made by GE, Scnema (France), Pratt and Whitney, Rolls Royce (UK), or IAE (Japan). No major aircraft engines are manufactured or designed in China.

I don't know the source of ALL the aircraft components, but I do know that the avionics suite is made by Rockwell Collins and not made in China.

I think its unfair to say ALL products from China are inferior but they have a well deserved reputation of poor quality control. I think its more fair to say that all Chinese parts are suspect.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
More fuel for the fire. Bought a Fiero a few years ago and dragged it 130 miles to home on dolly. Backwards since it was an automatic. It had brand new front hubs and bearings when I bought it. Got it home, registered and insured. Started up the road to get it inspected. Th front end was rumbling and grinding. Turned around, took it back to my garage and jacked up the front end. BOTH front wheel bearing were trashed. Got new bearings and tried to put them in the hubs and found both hubs were out of round. Went to my parts car and got good hubs. Guess what was stamped on the BAD hubs..... MADE IN CHINA. I don't where the PO got the hubs, but it fit in with every thing else I discovered about the car after I got it.
Front wheels are a major safety item. Try to complain to the government safety people. They won't even look at this S#)+. "We'll take your report but we don't get enough complaints to warrant an investigation". B"==$#)t
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:
I think its unfair to say ALL products from China are inferior but they have a well deserved reputation of poor quality control. I think its more fair to say that all Chinese parts are suspect.

And everyone forgets, so did the US 100 years ago; when workers had no rights, and companies were abusing the crap out of them. The only reason that Chinese parts are so poor quality is because all these companies can go over there and abuse the crap out of the workers, without being held responsible. It's all about the profit margin.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

And everyone forgets, so did the US 100 years ago; when workers had no rights, and companies were abusing the crap out of them. The only reason that Chinese parts are so poor quality is because all these companies can go over there and abuse the crap out of the workers, without being held responsible. It's all about the profit margin.

What about Henry Ford.... who brought about a new class of worker? He wasn't evil, but he did make a profit

With a business, it is about profit, but what is missing from the Chinese products is the quality. Some parts are of good quality, while others are not and it is who is sourcing the parts and the amount they are willing to pay. Think about this... you are bidding against another company to produce a product.... and you bid low because you know you can cut corners. You get the contract, make the part and move on to the next job. If you don't compete, you don't survive. The Chinese will increase their quality, it will just take time. I don't like low quality parts either, but there are many people to blame here, not just the company who makes them... it is the company who contacts to have them made and the marketers and the people who buy them. Oh, and the federal government for not enforcing quality control on strategic parts.
etofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunDirect Link to This Post
if only i could get my dad to take that piece of advice seriously. he bought a Chinese rear bearing for his saab 900. i put it on so, heres to hoping his wheel dosent come off on the way home.
Darbji

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarbjiSend a Private Message to DarbjiDirect Link to This Post
I worked at AZ for five years and know first hand the quality of Chinese made parts. I've seen the majority of lower end wheel bearing hubs come back within the first few months. My advice would be if you want to save some dollars, do it in an area that will not jeopardize your safety.
hawkebat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hawkebatSend a Private Message to hawkebatDirect Link to This Post
Well i wish i new this before i had to get new hubs for the rear of my car now i know why the brake pads dont fit right even installed correctly. I was wondering why i could get the rear bearings for the rear for half the price of the front knock on wood for the rear.

The bottom line here is simple. Until everyone starts complaining to the BBB about these items you will never get these companies to drop the bad manufacter's china or whomever that is the culprit. you have to complain to the right people. and here is not the right spot for it. the BBB is one of the many organizations set up to handle these complaints but until people list the company and the part that failed this post is nothing but a troll list and stereo type warning. people know what you get for the price you pay if its cheap it will probally break sooner then later if the tire is cheap then it will wear out faster. I got a set of 14" i got from Germany i would love to put on my fiero not because the're on hand but because i have had them for four years and they still have tread like they are new and who made them dunlop. and they cost me 250$ for four spend that here for tires and they may last a year to get the same quality you have to pay 500-600$ people need to look at what they buy stop going to wally world but wait its so cheap and that is that

Move this forum to off topic because it has nothing to do with tech
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Let's really set the record straight. NO ONE is forcing you to buy Chinese crap at Walmart. You *CAN* buy pretty much every type of product at Walmart from domestic manufacturers. Be preparted to spend a LOT of time looking and then spend more than 5 times as much money.
Not so hot on spending 5 times as much money? You'd better re-evaluate your tolerance for Chinese-manufactured items.

When all that we can find are Chinese appliances, yes they are forcing us to buy this crap. The only American made kitchen appliances that we have been able to find have been a Kitchen Aid mixer and a Kitchen Aid blender. We have both and they are rock solid.
The only things that China makes that MAY work and last a bit are some types of electronic equipment. This is becuase the major Japanese and American companies that designed them are constantly on their ass but their auto parts suck big time.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
LOL. Sorry, I did not read through this. It just reminds me of the trouble that comes with explaining to a customer that the cheap bearings will not last long. Nobody want's to spend more than the bottom of the barrel parts. "So the good one is $40 more? Give me the cheap one.".........(6 months latter)........."How come that bearing went bad!?!? It's only 6 months old!"
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosDirect Link to This Post
You have to hope to get lucky with Chinese computer parts. They're untested and ultimately unreliable.
I have many old parts, peripherals, and full computers from the 90s that I still use, all made in USA, Japan, or Canada. I keep using them because they work, and the modern Chinese junk doesn't. I could go on and on with specifics but it got too long so I deleted it.

It isn't so much the lack of quality that I hold against the Chinese. For certain types of items, I can accept that, as long as I know what I'm getting for the price. My biggest issue with them is political. They are not a country I wish to support. So even if I decide to buy cheap junk, I'd rather buy it from any other country when possible.

In the case of car parts, I'd avoid their stuff at any cost because it's frequently a safety issue. I really don't want to help them dominate this industry. Chinese "brands" are invented every day and have no accountability. If one ever becomes reputable, you can be sure another Chicom will just copy the trademark rendering it moot.
couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Boeing and Airbus are the two major commercial airplane manufacturers in the world. Boeing manufactures most of their aircraft in Renton, WA or Everett, WA, with a new facility being built in Charleston, SC. Airbus is a consortium of European manufacturers that has assembly all over western Europe with final assembly in Toulouse, France. Other airplane manufacturers include Embraer (Brazil), Bombardier (Canada), and deHavilland (UK). No major airplanes that are used worldwide are designed OR manufactured in China.

Likewise, most aircraft engines are made by GE, Scnema (France), Pratt and Whitney, Rolls Royce (UK), or IAE (Japan). No major aircraft engines are manufactured or designed in China.

I don't know the source of ALL the aircraft components, but I do know that the avionics suite is made by Rockwell Collins and not made in China.

Please don't state opinions as facts. Look it up. Airbus has an A320 final assembly plant in China. Composite parts for the A350 will be made in China. Boeing has a plant in China producing 747-8 parts. GE engines have been using parts produced in China for almost a decade now. The press reports from these companies say so, so it is not an opinion. Note that I said "parts" are made in China, not the entire aircraft/engine.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

Please don't state opinions as facts. Look it up. Airbus has an A320 final assembly plant in China. Composite parts for the A350 will be made in China. Boeing has a plant in China producing 747-8 parts. GE engines have been using parts produced in China for almost a decade now. The press reports from these companies say so, so it is not an opinion. Note that I said "parts" are made in China, not the entire aircraft/engine.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your original post. I thought you were implying that MOST aircraft & components were made in China.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post

masospaghetti

2477 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by armos:

You have to hope to get lucky with Chinese computer parts. They're untested and ultimately unreliable.
I have many old parts, peripherals, and full computers from the 90s that I still use, all made in USA, Japan, or Canada. I keep using them because they work, and the modern Chinese junk doesn't. I could go on and on with specifics but it got too long so I deleted it.

It isn't so much the lack of quality that I hold against the Chinese. For certain types of items, I can accept that, as long as I know what I'm getting for the price. My biggest issue with them is political. They are not a country I wish to support. So even if I decide to buy cheap junk, I'd rather buy it from any other country when possible.

In the case of car parts, I'd avoid their stuff at any cost because it's frequently a safety issue. I really don't want to help them dominate this industry. Chinese "brands" are invented every day and have no accountability. If one ever becomes reputable, you can be sure another Chicom will just copy the trademark rendering it moot.

This is the crux of the problem. An American company would get crucified by the legal system here if they were making severely inferior parts, in addition to having a ruined brand image.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post

But it IS!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

China scorecard:
2) Poison pet food.
4) Tires that blow out.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
22) Baby Einstien toys.

Don't forget the cadmium .

[This message has been edited by Xyster (edited 06-29-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

This is the crux of the problem. An American company would get crucified by the legal system here if they were making severely inferior parts, in addition to having a ruined brand image.

The problem is that instead of calling the right place to report this stuff, a lot of people just moan about it on their favorite forum on the Internet. As I said in a previous post, call the FTC, and be specific about what parts are causing problems, where they were purchased, who made them, etc… and let the gov't do the job we're paying them to do.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Melamine in Baby food.

To the credit of the government, they executed a few people for that one...

But for crying out loud... they KNOWINGLY made a food product POISONOUS so that they could claim it had a higher protein content. The producer KNEW people would DIE and they did it anyway, for a temporary boost in sales.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Melamine in Baby food.

To the credit of the government, they executed a few people for that one...

But for crying out loud... they KNOWINGLY made a food product POISONOUS so that they could claim it had a higher protein content. The producer KNEW people would DIE and they did it anyway, for a temporary boost in sales.

Unlike other poisons that the government subsidizes the production of, that go into almost every type of food there is any more.
couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Sorry, I misinterpreted your original post. I thought you were implying that MOST aircraft & components were made in China.

No problem, didn't mean to jump at you. Just happens to be my field - aircraft engines, not Chinese parts
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock