Where do I find this bolt? by V8IndyProject
Started on: 06-21-2011 01:39 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 06-23-2011 10:47 AM
V8IndyProject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
Where can I find a replacement bolt for the one that goes through the trailing arms and knuckle in the rear of an '88? Its like 10 inches long or so. Mine is really bent and I can't find it locally.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Get some high grade all thread and cut to fit
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

Get some high grade all thread and cut to fit

^ One of the worst possible things to use in this case!!! ^
The Fiero Factory has them.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I agree. This is not a place to use threaded rod. Get the proper bolts. If you have trouble finding them, I have several sets, fully traceable, ISO certified. They may take a few days to reach you and the shipping costs aren't cheap to the States, but you mustn't cheap out in this area.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I ordered all the bolts needed for the 88 rear suspension at Fasteners. They had to order them, but they came in quickly

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
You mean Fastenal?
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
No I have fastener store call Fasteners in my area. If you can't find one let me know and I can get them for you.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Any decent screw or fastener shop will have 10.9 equivalent threaded rod

You've lost your marbles if you think that wouldn't work
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Aside from the threaded rod simply being wrong part of the purpose of that long bolt is to fit fairly tight inside the rear knuckle. There is already too much play from the factory, why Rodney is rebuilding the 88 rear knuckles. Imagine as that threaded rod moves around, that will speed up wear tremendously inside the bore as well as providing many great opportunities to shear at the joint between the cast knuckle and end link, which the bolt with the smooth bore would be less prone to do.

It might work for a while but its not an area I would use threaded rod at all.
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
B7 all thread has a tensile strength of about 125k psi. Shear strength is generally accepted to be .6 of what the tensile strength is

Seeing as how it is threaded rod lets assume as low as 40%

That is still 50,000 psi. There is no way you will break it. This is all assuming the load is landing all on this one bolt and we are ignoring the friction grip between the link and the knuckle

As for it cutting grooves into the bore of the links and knuckle, that isn't going to happen either. The pressure would be applied across MANY threads and would only rotate maybe 30*

I use threaded rod every single day building hydraulic aerial work platforms. I'm not talking out my butt

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 06-23-2011).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post

That is still 50,000 psi. There is no way you will break it. This is all assuming the load is landing all on this one bolt and we are ignoring the friction grip between the link and the knuckle

Think again...

50,000 PSI is the shear strength as determined by a one time load application to failure. For this application where the suspension is being constantly subjected to cyclical loading, you want to know the fatigue strength rating. Even if B7 all thread has a high fatigue strength rating, I would never use it for this application.

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

I'm not talking out my butt

Is that so? Don't you think specifying B7 in your first post would have been important? What thread pitch were you suggesting again? Did you analyze the clamping load from the threaded rod given the necessary torque applied? What torque value did you use again? Oh, and I suppose the GM engineers decided to go overboard on the bolt strength thinking that if a B7 threaded rod (yield = 105K psi, tensile = 125K psi) was good enough, then surely the bean counters would be OK with a more expensive higher grade M12 X 1.75 X 210 grade 10.9 bolt threaded 50mm (yield = 130K psi, tensile = 150K psi) just to buy peace of mind.

Once you show that you've calculated the loads exerted on the bolt, and proven that a lesser grade rod will do the job, then people won't second guess your ability to suggest using lesser grade fasteners in critical locations like the suspension.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

B7 all thread has a tensile strength of about 125k psi. Shear strength is generally accepted to be .6 of what the tensile strength is

Seeing as how it is threaded rod lets assume as low as 40%

As for it cutting grooves into the bore of the links and knuckle, that isn't going to happen either. The pressure would be applied across MANY threads and would only rotate maybe 30*

I use threaded rod every single day building hydraulic aerial work platforms. I'm not talking out my butt

Lets assume it will hold (not break).
1) The bolt doesn't rotate in the bore. Having said that, even a SOLID bolt will wallow out the hole - what do you think a threaded rod will do?
2) Have you ever seen one of these rusted in the bore so bad you can't get it out? Happens all the time. What do you think a threaded rod will do with all the moisture & air it will hold?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I agree with the posted recomendations,you might allso try the link below,but you should get the same or greater bolt strength (look on the bolt end,something should be stamped there).
http://www.boltdepot.com/
http://www.instockfasteners.com/

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 06-23-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock