Need guidance on V6 Exhaust porting. by AL87
Started on: 05-12-2011 03:47 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: AL87 on 05-14-2011 01:39 AM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
I am seeking guidance on what to look for and do to port the exhaust headers, and the y-pipe?
I think the headers are pretty self explanitory, but the y-pipe I have no idea...

Picures please?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Try the search function. I seem to remember quite a bit of discussion about porting the Y-pipe some time ago.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
ok, not many links, but I did find what I was looking for. Thank you.
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
The most important thing is to open up the throat ,but leave material so as not to weaken valve seat,each throat must be equal make a guide template..

Read all you can ,read it again
port
port match
port exhaust manifold or use headers
smooth flow pipes & bends to the muffler
use turbo or free flow muffler of your choice
mount muffler in original muffler location ( not easy)
avoid glasspacks, they hurt performance
you can get 30 to 40 horse power
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

What?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I know you said you already figured out the exhaust manifolds, but for the sake of anyone doing a future search here's a couple pictures of what needs to be done:

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You have to cut the Y pipe below the Y. Port it and weld back.
I marked the pipe so I could re-align it after getting done. You also want to weld the Y in the valley to prevent leaks from removing the joint of the Y inside.
I did a gross cut with a torch and then clean up with a grinder.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-13-2011).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Custom2m4 30 to 40 shetland ponies can be had by porting & proper exhaust system ,most exhaust manifold ports are not properly done.
the weld on my manifolds entrance at the flat of the flange is beveled ,the inner pipes are sannded smooth where the entrance tubes blend into the manifold collector,
there is not a lot of performance equipment for the 60o V6
there are porting masters like dutwieler or branch that can get 30 to 35 ponies from just porting,but most of us are to cheap to have a head ported on a V6
Just my ported manifolds,Y pipe & mandrel bend exhaust with a neck down ,& a proper mounted turbo muffler will add 15 hp easy.
"The horsepower is in the heads",of course I get this info from 15 or 20 nationally known tuners
I have just purchase Truelo headers,but these are for increase gas milage & will add a midget pony or 4 & one seventh..I want a 2.8 that goes from 0 to 60 in 7 seconds & gets 22 to 24 mpg around town.do not care if gas goes to $10.00 a gallon , the day will come,when you can not buy gas easily,, there will be long lines,just like there were in the 70s,,Price that mo ped again ??

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-13-2011).]

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I know you said you already figured out the exhaust manifolds, but for the sake of anyone doing a future search here's a couple pictures of what needs to be done:

QUOTE]

Thank you very much, the header porting you have pictured isnt as extreme as what I saw from last night in another thread, but it was more along the lines of what I was thinking it was...
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:
You have to cut the Y pipe below the Y. Port it and weld back.
I marked the pipe so I could re-align it after getting done. You also want to weld the Y in the valley to prevent leaks from removing the joint of the Y inside.
I did a gross cut with a torch and then clean up with a grinder.

Your pics are a good enough example of the y-pipe, but messy lol, I hope you didnt just weld it back up all messy like that...
It would get under my skin if you didnt clean out all that little stuff, and smooth out and sharpen up on the insides. ugh...
perfectionism is a b-otch, lol.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

The most important thing is to open up the throat ,but leave material so as not to weaken valve seat,each throat must be equal make a guide template..

Read all you can ,read it again
port
port match
port exhaust manifold or use headers
smooth flow pipes & bends to the muffler
use turbo or free flow muffler of your choice
mount muffler in original muffler location ( not easy)
avoid glasspacks, they hurt performance

I highly doubt you can achieve 30-40 hp just on what you have described.

1st of all, the best exhaust is "no exhaust" any muffler is a detriment to horsepower.
If mufflers increased horsepower, then tell me why they arent used on high performance race vehicles?

There is alot of math involved like measuring the total intake of an air/fuel mixture into a combustion chamber, how it enters the combustion chamber, the compression ratio of the combustion chamber, how thuroughly the mixture is then burnt during combustion, how many bends, how sharp the bends are in the header, and then how equal in length the exhaust header pipes are and how large thier diameter is to either increase or decrease (or even negate or reverse) the exhaust's scavenging effect when it finally reaches the header collector (depending on style of header), and it should be measured from a baseline of no exhaust scavenge (vacume) at all. you have to match the exhaust's efficientcy to the intake's efficientcy... if you leave the intake alone, you will not make as big a gain if you just installed headers, as you would if you matched the intake and the exhaust (and that includes everything in between too)

So in essence, you do need backpressure, to make exhaust scavenging happen (so 3-inch piping isnt a good idea).
And a glass-pack is best (in the case that you actually need a "mufler") and it shouldnt hurt if its internal diameter is larger than the exhaust pipe's diameter.
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
you are so wrong, the glasspacks hurt performance ,I use to be a strong advocate of the cherry bomb,but the small inlet holes required kill performance .
there was a dynomax turbo glasspack in the early 90s but people did not buy it.IT WAS GREAT
many turbo mufflers produce more horse power than a straight pipe!!
40 horsepower is a LOW conservative astimate.
glasspacks hurt performance, they suck,hurt performance
most people want cheap price flowbench, & cheap they get.
with proper ported ex manifolds ,Y pipe & smooth flow to Turbo muffler with a neckdown will give 15 horse power easy,,the turbo muffler MUST be mounted in the stock muffler location,,mounting where the cat went hurts performance ,,mounting in the stock location is difficult,but can be done
"Google" the following for muffler dyno test
Titantalk.com,flowchart for a few mufflers
Carcraft magazine muffler test
hotrodmagazine muffler test

this was a longer in depth post but the computer ate it
I am an advocate of the jennings exhaust systems and the bell measurements ,but the math is totally wrong on a Fiero V6 you have to ""trial & error"" which I have been doing on the cheap , there are about 14 components in my exhaust system,Im going to truelo,but the stock manifolds ported work great
Installing a later model duke head on an 87,88 fiero duke makes a great performance increase,an example of what can be done

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-14-2011).]

G_Reaper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G_ReaperClick Here to visit G_Reaper's HomePageSend a Private Message to G_ReaperDirect Link to This Post
best exhaust is no exhaust are you joking? You obviously need to start doing some research before you go making statements like that in the future. Exhaust is everything and if you can tune it to match the motor it won't get you 30-40 hp increase but a good 20 that's for sure. Before I go and write a page on the importance of exhaust (trust me I was researching exhaust for 3 months) do some more research. But if your one of the ones that like a certain sound to your exhaust that's cool too. We're all different. But don't go saying stuff like that. seriously.

-Cody
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
if an exhaust with a muffler makes more horsepower than one without, then tell me why race cars dont have mufflers?

Believe me, I hate straight pipes... I would prefer to have my 2.8 droning like a V8 at idle, but an exhaust like that will yeild no performance gains, Its true that doing work to the stock setup can free up some horses, but if you want to make power there then go with a tuned exhaust, like the ones from truleo (which I keep reading are and have been the best exhaust headers made to date for our Fieros)
and as for an actual muffler, a turbo muffler is supposed to be a step up from a stock muffler, but then a glass-pack is supposed to be better... and then no muffler at all is supposed to be best, but like I said its all in the math... I bet I can make more horsepower with custom headers and a straight pipe setup than someone can with a turbo muffler or glass-pack...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock