Started on: 05-07-2011 03:33 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: onesexyfiero on 05-22-2011 08:49 PM
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Got this car dropped off to me a few weeks ago from a local (Denver) guy. He bought this Fiero from Florida seeing only photos of it before he picked it up. He had called mme about 6 months earlier, I explained it all the details to him and what the approximate cost would be. He contacted me as soon as he had time to really look at the car and swap, none of the gauges or anything worked so he mainly wanted to ask if there was an easy way to get it all working. Without seeing it, i told him what to look for and what wires should go where. After he really got into looking at the wiring he was really unhappy and called me to work oout a deal to redo it.

Anyway here is what we started with.

The Patient

The 3800

Custom throttle cable !

Some of the creative wiring I found.

This is the donor cars fuse box and ignition cylinder to defeat VATS in the trunk.

And one of the best custom mods I have ever come accross

Can you guess what it is ?

That is..........................A VSS with a plywood wheel stuck on the gear. The wooden wheel is supposed to ride on the CV axle boot to spin it, and it ran a bicycle type speedo that sat on the dash !

So I did some cleanup and getting rid of "extra" stuff and this is what the engine looks like now.

And started making new exhaust, it had a T straight into the side of a 20" cherry bomb.

Test fit for exhaust clearence

The new wiring harness is done, Ryan sent me back the PCM, and the engine will be going back in the car for the last time in the morning. Should be running tomorrow night, if I didnt forget any parts I need and need to stop and run to town.

And yes, he asked for purple ! It was a difficult color to create out of spray cans !

Sorry if the original owner is on here and this offends them !

I will try to update tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 05-07-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
How about that remote oil filter!?

So THAT is how the VSS goes! I am at that point now! What size wooden circle do I need.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Ya, forgot to mention the remote filter, Its needed to give room for the VSS !

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 05-07-2011).]

Rs_Bandit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rs_BanditSend a Private Message to Rs_BanditDirect Link to This Post
If the original owner is here I would like to discuss a few things with him in a dark alley.

This is a prime example why Mike G is the man at this stuff !!
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
LOL, thanks....good to see you here ! You should visit more often
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Mike! The wiring looked like a mess! I especially liked the "VATS" bypass!
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ! The wiriing was a mess, They had left all the unused sensors and connectors, just tied them up anywhere. Even still had the downstream 02 sensor hanging underneath the fuel filter.

I got the Engine in today, I Just need to hook up all the hoses/cables and start it up !
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Mike Gonzalez

5093 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Got her running today, no SES lights or anything. Fired up as soon as fuel got to it. Ran it a few short cycles while I burped the coolant system, then put the T-stat in and let it run till the cooling fan cycled on and off. Just got to make tailpipes, and put the brakes back together now, then test drive time !

Here what it looks like all hooked up and running !

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Got the Brakes and Wheels back on tonight, and got the new exhaust done. His old exhaust was a 2" downpipe T'd into a glasspack with 1-3/4" tailpipes out each side. Now we have a Dynomax muffler with 2.5" pipes, sounds good now ! He described the old exhaust as sounding like a big exhaust leak, I think he will like the change !

I will pull it out tomorrow night and get a drive in and see how it feels ! and get more pics of course ! I was in the shopp till around 11 tonight after working all day, didnt feel much like taking pics tonight.
Logan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoganSend a Private Message to LoganDirect Link to This Post
Dang Good Job i Actually Like The Silver And Purple Doesnt Really Go With the Body But Loooks Goood!

------------------

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Just an update, put about 70 miles on it yesterday and it ran great the entire time. Now he has all guages the work properly (after fixing some theings hacked by the PO) and a nice mellow exhaust. Not a "Giant exhaust leak" as he said it sounded like before ! Only thing not working is cruise control, I installed digital cruise but his control stalk is broken. And he needs to re-visit the home made coil overs on the rear, they clunk hard on bumps, i suspect the springs are too strong and there is little to no compression at rest.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Mike,

You do nice work, man!
I was going to say that the engine pic didn't look too bad.

...and then I looked at that abortion of a wiring job.

I'm sure the new owner will be happy.

(Plywood wheel and bicycle speedo?! Just damn.)

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-22-2011).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ! LOL, everyone likes that speedo setup, i might hang it on tha wall as a reminder of how bad it could be ! The wiring was a chopped up mess, suprised it ran at all.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post
That VSS belongs here:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock