Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Autozone now selling 88 front hubs (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Autozone now selling 88 front hubs by duckwalk39
Started on: 04-23-2011 08:47 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: eBearing on 06-10-2011 01:40 PM
duckwalk39

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
Autozone is now selling Duralast 88 front hub assemblies for $80. are these any good?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Does this solve the problem of '88 front bearings being difficult to get?
duckwalk39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
It does for me! Instead of having to buy from ebay or the fierostore, I can get these locally for cheap, plus they have a one year warranty! Now I don't know anything about Duralast (Autozone's brand), but I'm thinking this may solve everyone's problem of having an economic alternative to spending more than $150 bucks for one hub assembly. I was wondering if anyone else has these yet.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
Let us know if it is the correct bearing. I have been burned a couple of times on this: the auto supply catalog didn't differentiate between 87 and 88 front wheel bearings.

It would be nice to have this available

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting...
Pic looks like an 88 bearing...

http://www.autozone.com/aut...entifier=965299_0_0_

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... Can they actually *GET* them? IE, in the store to put in your hand? They've been listed in catalogs for years, but no one can actually get one delivered.

Regarding $80 vs. $150 bearings... you get what you pay for. I'd rather spend $150 (I'd go $250+ for a motorsport capable bearing) each to replace them and be done with it than buy a new set of $80 bearings every year.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
1. Just because they have a listing for them, doesn't mean they can GET them. I won't be convinced until someone has one in their hands.

2. Duralast wheel bearings are CRAP. They're better than already bad bearings, but I don't think they'll last long. Duralast = China

If anyone wants to try, part # DL513040

HOPEFULLY Timken will start making them again.
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
If they have a lifetime warranty, I'll just replace them for free every few years and get both bearings for less than ONE costs from The Fiero Store...not like I'm doing suspension work every few years anyway.

For the record, I hear many reports of Duralast parts being crap, but I have never personally experienced a failure or had any complaints. I bought LOTS of Duralast parts before I got a shop account at O'reilly.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

If they have a lifetime warranty, I'll just replace them for free every few years and get both bearings for less than ONE costs from The Fiero Store...not like I'm doing suspension work every few years anyway.

They don't, they have a 1 year warranty.
duckwalk39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
Well I just ordered them, the manager said they'll be here on Tuesday. I'll let you know how they look and if they're even the right part, but yeah, the picture sure looked correct for 88 hubs.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Regarding $80 vs. $150 bearings... you get what you pay for. I'd rather spend $150 (I'd go $250+ for a motorsport capable bearing) each to replace them and be done with it than buy a new set of $80 bearings every year.

I do agree to an extent...
However, a national automotive chain can buy in bulk; maybe making 5 or 10 thousand units in one shot. This significantly reduces the production cost...

Guess we will wait and see how the quality is...
Either way, its nice to have choices...
PFF
System Bot
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

2. Duralast wheel bearings are CRAP. They're better than already bad bearings, but I don't think they'll last long. Duralast = China

If anyone wants to try, part # DL513040

HOPEFULLY Timken will start making them again.

I talked to the on the phone with someone at Autozone trying to figure out exactly who made these, and she said that they are Timkens. I dont know how she would know, but she insisted that they were made by Timken

indyguy

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indyguySend a Private Message to indyguyDirect Link to This Post
I have used plenty duralast parts in my shop for my customers and have not had any returns or bad parts. Federal Mogul is supposed to make their chassis parts and I use them alot on a daily basis and quality seems good. Im in good with the store manager at autozone as we spend 6-7k a week with them on my commercial account. I will have them order some and talk to him and find out where they are made.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The autozone website lists both the Duralast and Timken front wheel bearings for the 88... I am pretty sure the Timken is no longer available (part number isn't even included in Timken's catalog), and it is a crap shot if the duralast one can actually be purchased.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
They are not Timken. Duralast bearings are made by Bearing Tech and Fenwick (Fenco). Put a Timken bearing next to a Duralast bearing, and the difference will usually jump out at you. The Duralast box will usually say 'made in China' and the Timken box WILL NOT.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
For 80 bux I'd certainly give them a try. I hear stories of the E-bearings fail but haven't seen any proof, I installed a set on a 3800SC swap with 17" wheels and 12" rotors and that car has been drag raced, autocrossed and pounded around Shannonville raceway and the bearings are still fine ~5 years later.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Slicks?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

They are not Timken. Duralast bearings are made by Bearing Tech and Fenwick (Fenco). Put a Timken bearing next to a Duralast bearing, and the difference will usually jump out at you. The Duralast box will usually say 'made in China' and the Timken box WILL NOT.

The way Chinese turbos , including the bearings inside them, have been improving in quality, these non-Timken bearings may become decent as well.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't mean it's desirable to buy anything from China, since they are waging economic war on us.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I'm as Buy-American! as anyone. But in some few instances, China is the only option.
Besides, Timken sold us up the river, they don't deserve our business even if they brought back the bearings in question.
And why should we punish the Chinese laborers for the sins of their crooked government. I'm in the same boat as those poor Chinese laborers, suffering the sins of a crooked American government.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 04-25-2011).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't mean it's desirable to buy anything from China, since they are waging economic war on us.

Once they wreck our economy I wonder where they'll put all the flea market booths...
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Exactly. If you buy China parts ON PURPOSE (especially if it's just to save money) then you are part of the problem. Not only are you sending your money to - SUPPORTING - a regime that has the worst human rights record, but they own all our debt & are helping to CAUSE our economic woes intentionally.
Not only that, but you're buying CRAP. It's another way they're laughing all the way to bank. I have THREE devices (frankendolly, the rotisserie, & a Fiero rear cradle substitute) that are current DISABLED because the crappy china inner tubes split at the seams & I CAN"T FIND ANY MADE IN THE US!
Don't you watch the news? Remember when their toothpaste was banned from import because it contained POISON? So they put it in with toothbrushes & KEPT SENDING IT TO US???
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

China scorecard:
1) Bolts not up to grade. The *aircraft* industry had several failures because they were marked a higher grade than they were. They no longer use imported bolts.
2) Poison pet food.
3) Poison pet food - again.
4) Tires that blow out.
5) Poison toothpaste. Contains the same toxic that's found in anti-freeze.
6) More poison toothpaste. Combined with toothbrushes so that it could be imported as "toothbrushes", to get rid of the poison toothpaste!
7) Toys made of lead. Imported by Mattel.
8) Toys with lead paint & small magnets that can kill children if swallowed. Imported by Fisher Price.
9) Poison pet food - the third time.
10) Poison children's paint sets - sold at Toys R Us.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
12) More (nearly a million recalled) Mattel toys with lead paint.
13) Flip-Flops at wallmart that cause a rash.
14) 1 million baby cribs recalled after 3 children die.
15) About 1.5 million Thomas the tank engine toys.
16) "Play Yards" with strings that strangle children.
17) Happy Giddy Garden toys that - you guessed it - contain lead.
18) Purple haloween pails from Dollar Stores that contain lead.
19) Disney Winnie the Pooh dolls that contain lead.
20) Bead kits that contain lead.
21) 500,000 KB toys wooden blocks.
22) Baby Einstien toys.
23) "Discover & Play" blocks.
24) 1.5 MILLION Cub Scouts "Totem" badges that contain lead.
25) Levels that are NOT LEVEL! Try building a house with that!!!
26) Recall of certain children's items due to a lead exposure risk or entrapment/suffocation/choking hazard. The products include Halloween-themed baskets, children's jewelry, shaving paint brushes, pencil pouches, Boppy pillow slipcovers, flashing pacifiers, and storage racks with canvas totes.
**) Hell there's so many on the news every night I can't write them down fast enough! FAR more than I've listed here.

Made in China: NOT gonna' buy ya'.

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 04-25-2011).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
I hate China crap just as much as the next guy, but I also don't like one company having a monopoly on 88 bearings and charging almost 400$ for a set. If nothing else, this should reduce the price of quality bearings.

IMO there should be a MUCH higher tax on all imported goods. We don't start making stuff here again and regain a little of our lost industrial might, we're screwed. But that's a discussion for another forum...
duckwalk39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
Boy dd this topic drift far from Duralast bearings or what?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by duckwalk39:

Boy dd this topic drift far from Duralast bearings or what?

What.

Autozone is now selling Duralast 88 front hub assemblies for $80. are these any good?

The answer is probably & most likely not.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

I hate China crap just as much as the next guy, but I also don't like one company having a monopoly on 88 bearings and charging almost 400$ for a set. If nothing else, this should reduce the price of quality bearings.

LOL.... Check on the price of Corvette wheel bearings. GOOD bearings cost money.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Until somebody actually puts one of these on their car and drives it for a while (including some good mountain curve driving), we'll never know of they are good or not.
However, the pictures look just like the Chinese 88 hubs sold on Ebay. I have one of those, but not on a car. I also have two good used OEM bearings in my garage. And my car's bearings are still good, so I don't need to do any testing right now.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

TopNotch

3537 posts
Member since Feb 2009

Chinese bearing on the left, OEM bearing on the right. The OEM bearing has a deeper, rounded "dish" in the hub.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure these are all the same bearings no matter who sells it. I'm quite sure they are all from the same China manufacturer in different boxes. I was going to have some made but I'll wait and see how these hold up. If they are OK I will probably not have any made.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm sure these are all the same bearings no matter who sells it. I'm quite sure they are all from the same China manufacturer in different boxes. I was going to have some made but I'll wait and see how these hold up. If they are OK I will probably not have any made.

Probably the same situation as with the aftermarket clutch master and slave cylinders... No matter whose name is on the box, it was made out of the same swiss cheese from the same foundry in China.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Well I just ordered them, the manager said they'll be here on Tuesday. I'll let you know how they look and if they're even the right part, but yeah, the picture sure looked correct for 88 hubs.

Just wondering what the scoop is on these?
Carver1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
http://www.autozone.com/aut...ront/_/N-ii73qZ8oy4e
looks Chinese to me!
Might be worth a shot though.

------------------
88 GT "The Stray" 4.9L SOLD
73 Stingray L-82 4 speed
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
07 Suburban LT2
09 Avalanche LT3

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 04-29-2011).]

duckwalk39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
Well I picked these up today, and they look fine, I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get home, but due to my work schedule, I can't put these on until next Saturday. I mean, anything is better than what I have right now!
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Well I picked these up today, and they look fine, I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get home, but due to my work schedule, I can't put these on until next Saturday. I mean, anything is better than what I have right now!

So... where did it (the box or the part) say they came from?
duckwalk39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
Quality product from the farthest reaches of the orient...
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Quality product from the farthest reaches of the orient...

Did you hear about the flu epidemic in China? The entire 4th grade missed work!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Everything "looks" fine until you break out the micrometer and the hardness tester.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
They were actually able to get them? I think I'll give them a try also. I hadn't expected that the hubs would actually be available.

I wonder if they're from Precision.
duckwalk39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for duckwalk39Send a Private Message to duckwalk39Direct Link to This Post
Ok, sorry about the pics, couldn't figure out how to upload them on the site. But interesting fact, I dunno if a lot of us on the forum have been ordering them lately, but me thinks they're running low on their supply at the Autozone warehouse now because THEY NOW COST $144 EACH...what happened in these last 30 days that almost doubled the price?!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock