Interesting OBDII bluetooth / phone adapter: by aaronkoch
Started on: 03-16-2011 11:20 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 03-24-2011 11:45 PM
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Just saw this at thinkgeek, thought you engine swappers might like.

It plugs into the OBDII port, and connects wirelessly to an iPhone or Android phone, and can monitor engine parameters realtime. It will also scan and reset DTC's in realtime.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/e661/

Link to manufacturer page: http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwibluetooth/hardware.html

Looks like it's time to beg the wife again.. :P

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
Wow,

That lady sure can handle that microphone! :-)
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Well, I ordered one yesterday. I'll post an update when it comes in.

------------------

3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
I looked on the MFG Site.

Which software are you going to use. Some looks ok, (some looks like just Tac, Vac Gauge, Speedo etc, (Not much use for that one). I do like the with "dyno", and the one program with the "maps / graphs).

I like it, I may order as well.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Looks cool!

Now if I could only find a nice place to keep my phone while driving
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I just ordered a BlueTooth Dongle for the OBD2 and then I bought a generic Droid pad to try this out on. If it works as well as it looks I could eliminate the whole instrument cluster and just go with this program on the Pad. I am looking forward to this, but it will have to wait about 2 or 3 weeks since that is how long it takes to get the stuff from overseas.
In the mean time I am downloading the Torque app on my Droid X to just check it out and see how it looks.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Not sure which one I'll use yet, but they're only a couple bucks each, I'll probably try them all.. Muahahahah

------------------

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkDirect Link to This Post
I just found a generic one on EBay for about $6 with $16 for shipping. It is coming from overseas so it will take about 2 to 3 weeks to get here. The same goes for the Droid Pad I bought. It has the GPS, WIFI, but not 3G connectivity or a multi touch screen. However, for what I am planning it should work pretty good and for about $200 it will be a deal. I can let everyone know how it works after I get it up and running. If it works my plan is to replace all of the gauges on my 88GT, however you need an OBD2 system and I got that when I installed a 3800 SCIII in my car. Might have to play with it a while before I remove the instrument panels though. It would be nice to try out some of the different gauges that are available in the software through the OBD2. Things like gas tank level, with an alarm setpoint or blower boost pressure. Then if I want to play around it records 0-60 times and some other crazy things and the software allows you to graph any of the inputs too, which you can then send as an email to your home computer. The software I am looking at is Torque and the higher level version is only about $5.
Don't really know if this will do all I am envisioning, but to me it is worth the money to try it out.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I purchased a Bluetooth OBDII Adapter on eBay for $23 shipped and it works flawlessly with my Droid Cell Phone. I bought the Torque application and its awesome, its pretty cool to drive around with it all hooked up. Even gives you horsepower and torque numbers if you put in the vehicle weight and engine size. Overall, for the money it is awesome and very handy.

Edit: Here is a link to a thread I was in about this topic.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/082550.html

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 03-17-2011).]

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkDirect Link to This Post
Craig:
I can see that it is really neat to be able to do this on your phone, but Android is now on larger format items some of which are as big as the Ipad. I bought the adapter and a Droid type of Pad to try this out. I also downloaded and paid for the Droid Torque app already so I can play with it. I cannot wait to try it.

Do you know if it will display an Odometer and a Trip meter? If so I should be able to set up an Odometer for car mileage and another one for engine mileage. That would be very neat to be able to do that so I can keep track of their different mileages. From what I saw too you can set up alarms too so you could set up a mileage alarm to warn you to change your oil or what ever you wanted to set it up for. When I ran the Torque App on my Droid X it appears to have 7 pages you can program different functions on so it should be pretty flexible. Also, when I went to the blog site for the Torque App it appears the author of the app is very willing to make mods to it to suite what ever needs you can think of, so if it doesn't work with the Droid Pad right away maybe I can persuade him to make changes to be able to use it with the Droid Pad.
PFF
System Bot
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
It's fully customizable as far as alarms.. Does voice alerts, and yes, has a trip odometer. It also lets you compare the GPS speed to the PCM speed (nice to see the error).

Only requirement I would see is needing bluetooth to interface.

I'm using it on the droid phone (original one) and it's flawless. I love the MPG meter.. shows instant and a running average in green. works on anything I've plugged it into so far, BMW, Audi, GM, Ford.

Just awesome. You can also input custom PID's you want to check if there are uncommon or specific ones.

Reads/interprets and resets faults.

------------------

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
you try this on your 3800 swap yet?
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
I frickin <3 THINKGEEK!!

the kiwi is a cool little toy. but when it comes to toys, i want the best one... so im stuck on the most expensive kiwi :\ gotta save my pennies.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 03-24-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock