lowering my car by fierogt27
Started on: 02-27-2011 12:37 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: scott0999 on 02-27-2011 11:10 AM
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
I'm working on my 3800sc swap right now and I'm wanting to lower my car at the same time while everything is out so that I wont have to do it later. I'm trying to decide whether to do springs or coilovers. It seems like a lot of people are doing front springs and rear coilovers, why is this? I know that springs are cheaper but then I'd have to buy struts/shocks as well so my question is:

what should I do, springs or coilovers? front springs and rear coilovers? or same all the way around?

How much should I lower it? I don't want it dragging on the ground, but I want it to look nice and perform well

Where should I buy whatever y'all recommend?

Do you or anyone you know have any used parts?

Thank you for any help in advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
For me,

Coilovers are the only way to go in the rear. With the V8, I simply don't know where I want it. And being my 3rd V8 swap, I know that each build can be a little different. I may want it a bit higher or lower and the coilover setup allows plenty of adjustment where the lowering springs do not.

A 2" lowering spring may give you a 1.5" drop .... or 2" or somewhere in between. The fronts (on my replica) look pretty good as is, so a 3/4" drop would be good. a 1" would be fine/perfect and 1.5" would still work just fine. So in my case a set of 1.5" lowering springs would do the job pretty much wherever it wound up.

I think building the rear coilovers is a nice DIY job and pretty inexpensive. Lots of good threads on that here.

I've got some 400lb springs here I may be looking to sell. Not sure if that's too firm for you...

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 02-27-2011).]

fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
3084me: where did you get your rear coilovers?
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt27:

3084me: where did you get your rear coilovers?

Hey,

I was just editing my post above.

I've made several sets on several cars. (Instructions here on the forum).

On this current swap , I recently picked up a set of KYB's from another member with about 13K miles on them so it saved me a little time. I may want to experiment with a few different spring combos though.

I think coilovers are the best bet in the rear because they have a wide range of adjustment. That's my opinion anyway. If you're only looking for an inch or 1.5", then a set of 2" drop springs may do the job fine for you. (I don't like to "drag the ground" either and I don't mind if there is a bit of fender gap. I just like a nice "tight" clean looking fender gap.

You'll need the 7" or 10" sleeves, 12" x 2.5" diameter springs and you'll need to cut the spring perches off of the OEM struts, Monroe Struts, Sachs or KYB's etc.

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 02-27-2011).]

scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
since the front springs are non-progressive, I just cut them (free lowering)

I also made coilovers for the rear. you can choose a variety of spring rates. you dont even need a spring compressor to install them! just a spanner wrench ($15 shipped) to adjust the ride height
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
3084me: 1: idk how stiff 400lbs is to tell you the truth. I have never owned a lowered car, but what would you want to let them go for?
2: any you not just buy coilovers pre-made?

scott0999: does just cutting the fronts add any performance handling? or is it just for looks?
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-27-2011 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
400lb is just right for a 3800 car but if you plan to drive it with the 2.8 it'll be way too harsh

I always recommend cutting the springs if you're short on cash, especially with a swap. The spring rate will go up and that is just fine with the added weight

1.5 coils from the rear and one from the front will give you a good stance

Be sure to trim the bumpstops on the front

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 02-27-2011).]

fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
well i don't really want to cut the rears, as i have heard that it causes a harsh ride, but i have heard cutting the fronts to be ok. but i don't want my car just to be lower, i also want it to handle better.
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-27-2011 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
That is completely backwards

Most people comment on cutting springs when they either haven't done it or did theirs wrong

Just don't take off too much and trim the bumpstops

350 to 400lb springs will be about as rough as a 2 coil cut rear. With a 3800sc it'll be perfect. Been driving on mine at 1.5 coils cut for a couple years now and have done half a dozen others that way
snakeskinner1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post
i have a 86se and am planning on cutting one coil off the front and maybe 2 coils off the back...... would that give me a level setting stance? and what size of a drop would that produce? im looking for a 1-2inch. you guys commenting on this seem like you know what your talking about so i figured i would chime in and see if rubbing up against you raised my fiero IQ thanks!

[This message has been edited by snakeskinner1 (edited 02-27-2011).]

fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
1 coil is a little over an inch, depends on what size wheels/ties you have on it to determine whether it will be level or not. some people offset their rims one size bigger on the rear, and the 88's came stock that way
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
HT motorsports has kits and complete rear coilovers as does west coast fieros .use rodneys drop ball joints on the front and keep the stock front springs .you are putting more weight in the back so upping the front spring rate probably wont be needed .rear coilovers allow you to weight jack some of that added weight to the front to keep the car fairly neutral .you are going to need wider tires in the back to prevent snap throttle oversteer .yuo are going to have to tweak it a bit to get it where you want it .make sure you get a 12" long spring for the rears .check out QA-1 motorsports website for info on spring rates and sizes.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
i noticed that westcoastfiero has them but they normally take forever in shipping. does HT motorsports have the same prices? i have never heard of them. when you say keep the stock front springs, do you mean keep them completely stock without cutting? do i need to have wider tires right now? i have aftermarket rimes on it, put there by the previous owner, that are 16's by 225.
snakeskinner1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post
i have aftermarket 17's on it that are 7.5 wide. im trying to cut the springs because of the price(free) my favorite price. i also have heard putting 88 springs on the front for about a 1" drop? But im trying to do it as cheap as i can, have it look right and not ride crazy. So the cutting seems appealing??
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
the cutting seems to be the best price wise, but im going for price, look, and performance. people say that cutting works but i know it also doesn't do anything for the performance of the car, just looks
snakeskinner1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post
i seen in a thread here awhile back that lowering of any kind actualy hurts handleing?? i would think it would be the exact other way around but the guy doing the thread did a good size write up on it and really seem to know his stuff.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
it hurts the comfort of the car and makes it a ruffer ride but i believe that lowering it lowers the center of gravity therefore it makes it less top heavy, which lets you take turns smoother at a faster speed, without that "leaning" of the car that you feel in stock cars
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
lowering by just cutting the springs will lower your centre of gravity but will alter the roll centre .on some cars it might take away from overall handling .thats why a drop spindle or drop ball joints work better .HT motorsports has a website , just google them .prices seem cheaper than west coast .
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
what about rodent dickman's lowering front parts without cutting? do you recommend them?
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...ea4bb26eee5d7e9e389f
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post

fierogt27

836 posts
Member since Jan 2011
on HT motorsports, which coilovers are the good ones, i see multiple choices and im not sure which ones i need to pick lol
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
lots of people have used the lowering ball joints .i have street dreams by ross drop spindles but they are a lot more money .on the rear of my car , i bought the coilover kit from held(now HT) and put it together with KYB struts a from the fiero store that i bought earlier .my car is pretty extreme ,tubular arms all around as well as coilovers all around .RCC rear arms and HT sport suspension front end .
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
Kit F001 for 84 -87's plus the struts of your choice .
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt27:

well i don't really want to cut the rears, as i have heard that it causes a harsh ride, but i have heard cutting the fronts to be ok. but i don't want my car just to be lower, i also want it to handle better.

right you shouldnt cut the rear springs anyway, those are progressive springs and thats a bad idea. the fronts are not progressive

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock