Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fix that pesky broken Console Skeleton once and for all!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fix that pesky broken Console Skeleton once and for all! by JimmyS
Started on: 02-26-2011 08:54 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: JimmyS on 02-26-2011 11:00 PM
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Does trying to fix your broken Console Skeleton aggravate you? Have you tried every glue you can find but nothing seems to hold strong enough?

If any of this sounds like you, have no fear the solution is here.

The goal of this project is to build a Console Skeleton "Exo Skeleton".

Here is what you will need to do this project...
1. Long piece of metal drywall corner bead.
2. Pair of tin snips
3. Super Glue gel
4. JB Weld
5. Fine Line Sharpie Marker
6. Pair of pliers
7. Razor knife
8. Spring loaded clamps
9. Piece of 120 grit sand paper

1st step is to use the super glue gel and glue the broken area.
2nd step is to sand the area where you will be bonding on the cut and shaped piece of metal drywall corner bead.

Next you need to cut and shape a piece of drywall corner bead to fit the area you want to repair. Use the pliers to make any 90* bends you need to make. Use the Sharpie marker to mark the metal where it needs to be cut.

Now you will need to mix some JB Weld and spread it over the entire area where you will be placing the metal. Place the metal in place and clamp it with the spring loaded clamps. The JB Weld take 15 hours to cure so this is a slow process to repair. Once it is dry, remove the clamps and move on to the next area. Use the razor knife to trim off any excess JB Weld that oozed out along the edges.

After you are done with all your repairs. You will need to use a 7/64 drill bit to drill pilot holes in the metal where all the original mounting points are.

Congratulations, you just repaired your Console Skeleton once and for all.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 02-26-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Nice save Jimmy
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekDirect Link to This Post
A "+" for you Jimmy as this will help me with a skeleton rebuilding job to fit a 2 DIN stereo in... Gave me an idea.... (never good)

Jeff

------------------

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. I see that for a large portion of it, the screws can now go into the corner bead to hold things solid....but you haven't done anything for the screws that hold the shifter surround to it (the ones under the ashtray doors). Do you have a plan for that? The JB weld can be drilled and tapped, right? Or do you have a better solution coming?
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Very nice. I see that for a large portion of it, the screws can now go into the corner bead to hold things solid....but you haven't done anything for the screws that hold the shifter surround to it (the ones under the ashtray doors). Do you have a plan for that? The JB weld can be drilled and tapped, right? Or do you have a better solution coming?

I'm going to be repairing those using the same method. I just haven't got that far yet.

Yes the JB Weld can be drilled.

When putting everything back together, you need to make sure that you just snug down all the screws as to not strip the metal.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 02-26-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock