Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3.4 pushrod swap; what is the RIGHT harmonic balancer?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3.4 pushrod swap; what is the RIGHT harmonic balancer? by Tha Driver
Started on: 02-20-2011 06:15 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: TopNotch on 02-22-2011 03:16 PM
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
I understand having to do the timing groove if using the 3.4 balancer, but which one is the RIGHT one to use?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I believe the 3.4 or a "new" 2.8 one would be best. I think most of us used the original 3.4 balancer because most of the original 2.8 ones are worn to heck. Even the Fiero Store 2.8 replacement (from what i recall) doesn't have all the notches in the original place. If it were me, I'd use the 3.4 one or a brand new one and notch or mark it properly.
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
You have to use the 3.4 balancer. You also need to change the oil pan and timing cover. You need to install the ones from the 2.8. I would not use the old 2.8 balancer on the 3.4. It will vibrate!

Steve
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanDirect Link to This Post
I used the 3.4 balancer. West Coat Fieros sells a 3.4 balancer with the correct 2.8 markings scribed on the OD if you are looking for a new one with the correct markings.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Get one for the 93-95 3.4 Camaro or Firebird engine. Line up the keyways of the old 2.8 and the new 3.4 and mark. I had a shaft setup at the machine shop, but now I have no idea where it is. If you remember the plane crash at Lawrenceville in October; that was my old partner that owned the shop. He's the one who knew where the shaft was. I seem to remember someone on here gave a measurement of so many inches left of the 3.4 mark. but I don't remember who or what thread.

Ashby remarks them using a hacksaw.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Yep I knew it needed to be one for an internally balanced engine, but since we have neither a late 2.8 or 3.4, I'll just get the 3.4 one & re-mark it.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Paul, I looked at my old 87 balancer and my new 3.4 balancer and other than the timing marks, I saw absolutely no difference. I don't believe the balancer really has anything to do with it. lt's the flywheel you have to be aware of. If you're going to get a new 3.4 balancer, why not just order a new 88 2.8 that will already be marked?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
When I installed my 3.4, I recycled my old '88 2.8 balancer. Never a minute's problem.
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I ran into a problem where the 3.4 balancer was a three hole instead of the four that I needed for the pulley. I think I also had a problem with the timing cover. But I can't remember
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

You have to use the 3.4 balancer. You also need to change the oil pan and timing cover. You need to install the ones from the 2.8. I would not use the old 2.8 balancer on the 3.4. It will vibrate!

Steve

All of the PR 60° harmonic dampeners are identical in every respect except for the location of the timing mark, and all of them are neutrally balanced. The only balance elements are the crank and flywheel/flexplate. Pre-88 2.8s had external balancing using the flywheel/flexplate, '88 and up 2.8 as well as all 3.1 and 3.4 PR motors used internal balancing on the crank with a neutral-balance flywheel/flexplate. The only advantage to using the 3.4 dampener is because it will likely be in better condition WRT the rubber interlayer between the hub and ring due to being less aged.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by fierofool:

If you're going to get a new 3.4 balancer, why not just order a new 88 2.8 that will already be marked?

Does anyone still have any Fiero-marked dampeners? Last time I looked, 8 years ago, there were none anywhere I could find.

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

All of the PR 60° harmonic dampeners are identical in every respect except for the location of the timing mark, and all of them are neutrally balanced.

Agreed. I used my 2.8 balancer on my 3.4 and it works fine.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
JazzMan beat me to it. All 60-degree V6 harmonic balancers are neutral balance. So engine balance is not a concern.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

JazzMan beat me to it. All 60-degree V6 harmonic balancers are neutral balance. So engine balance is not a concern.

Though technically they aren't balancers at all. It's a dampener, and what it does is to dampen torsional harmonic vibrations in the crank. Each time a cylinder fires there's a pulse of force on the connecting rod. Because the crank isn't perfectly rigid (not physically possible anyway) the crank twists a little. Then it springs back a bit. It can start twisting harmonically, becoming resonant, and if that happens the forces on the crank can get high enough to cause damage. The mass of the dampener's outer ring combined with the rubber layer between it and the hub act to dampen those twists.

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post

They aren't entirely the same. One 3.4 "TOP picture" is a 3 spoke for mounting the pulley.. This okay if you want to use different pulleys. And yes the timing mark is different. but we knew that.. The bottom picture is the 2.8 balancer. They do, however, weight very close to each other but this is a 4 spoke and offered by the Fiero store.

http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Search.aspx
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
I found a 3.4 harmonic dampener at summit racing that had a full timing scale all around it. heck with transferring a mark, get a full scale all the way around for real accuracy.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-917190/

It's built WAY WAY better than the OEM part.

------------------

Get your copy of the Fiero 25th Anniv book at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/349809

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

I found a 3.4 harmonic dampener at summit racing that had a full timing scale all around it. heck with transferring a mark, get a full scale all the way around for real accuracy.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-917190/

It's built WAY WAY better than the OEM part.

That's TEN times the price!!!. And the 0 mark is probably not in the right place, either.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

That is NOT the balancer that comes on the 3.4 Camaro engine

The one that comes on the Camaro 3.4 has the same holes as the Fiero one.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
My 95 Camaro 3.4P/R long block did. What I remember most was that the pulley needed to be a three hole.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

That's TEN times the price!!!. And the 0 mark is probably not in the right place, either.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Yes the zero mark is in the right place, it's 100% adjustable as you can disassemble it, set it up correct, and then re-attach it.

And it's not 10X the price, I have never found a new balancer for $35.00, cheapest I could find was $75.00
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I got my 3.4 balancer at an IAPA parts store for $42.
PFF
System Bot
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post
This has been discussed at length before, in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104579.html

Something I discovered about balancers that has a lot of bearing (sorry for the pun) on the subject and is worth a re-post:

"All 60 degree V6 torsional dampers are neutral balanced and may be used with either internally balanced or externally balanced crankshatfts" From the book on building performance V6

------------------
Bob T.

[This message has been edited by fyrebird68 (edited 02-22-2011).]

fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post

fyrebird68

725 posts
Member since Jul 2008
sorry - dbl post

[This message has been edited by fyrebird68 (edited 02-22-2011).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

Yes the zero mark is in the right place, it's 100% adjustable as you can disassemble it, set it up correct, and then re-attach it.

And it's not 10X the price, I have never found a new balancer for $35.00, cheapest I could find was $75.00

$35.79 at Rockauto. DORMAN Part # 594147 {#10146863} Solid; Diameter; 6.36"; Width: 2.29";
I hope that's the right one, it's the one we're getting. I also hope it's not made in freakin' CHINA!!!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 02-22-2011).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
The Damper Doctor sells Fiero-specific dampers with the correct timing mark. They have a different model number for 85-86 than for 87-88. I have no idea what the differences are. But for 85-86, they have this one, and for 87-88, they have this one.
And they'll buy back your old damper.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock