Pullout Cup Holder by Wam3
Started on: 02-12-2011 09:04 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Wam3 on 02-13-2011 08:36 PM
Wam3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wam3Send a Private Message to Wam3Direct Link to This Post
I gotta have a cup holder. I liked the looks of the console cup holder, but didn't find it practical as that where my arm goes .. :-) I saw Snapperhead post a VW cup hold in the mall, and went to the wrecking yard in search of something similar. I found a 1/2 Din (if that what its called) pullout cup holder out of some kind of Nissan - I'm not sure it was pretty picked over .....

The combined height is a bit bigger than the radio opening, so I decided to cannibalize the insert that they used to mount my Pioneer stereo. I did have to cut a slight notch in the top of the existing hole to get it to fit, and I do have some clearance issues with the depth - I am going to have to remove the console to get to that pesky bracket that seems to be riveted in ....

Here it is.

Its hard to see but the radio is sticking out about a quarter inch ...

The little bar that hangs down to support the bottom of the cup misses the radio, even with it sticking out an extra quarter.

Now with a cup ....

It's not as sexy as I wanted it to be, I thought the Dremel would be work well, but the plastic pretty much melts. If anyone has some plastic cutting tips, I would love to hear them.

I have a shortened shifter, from gtxbullet from the mall, so there are no clearance issues in 1st,3rd or 5th ...

W

------------------
Ps. Typos are free, consider them my gift to you.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post
For cutting plastic, I use a medium coarse blade in a jigsaw. Run at LOW speed.

Mine came out of a Nissan:

[This message has been edited by fyrebird68 (edited 02-12-2011).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I thought about one of those, but if you hit a bump & spill your drink, it ends up IN THE RADIO/CD !
Wam3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wam3Send a Private Message to Wam3Direct Link to This Post
Yea, the 2% rule will have to apply ;-) ... For sure.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Did something similar years ago - very handy!! Took it out when I installed a new deck that tilts down for some functions.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Wam3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wam3Send a Private Message to Wam3Direct Link to This Post
That looks nice. That's how I'm going to redo mine with a plastic panel in the back. What kind of heater/ac controller is that?
bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wam3:
What kind of heater/ac controller is that?

No A/C version.

Wam3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wam3Send a Private Message to Wam3Direct Link to This Post
Ahhhhh .... yea, I see that now :-)

------------------
Ps. Typos are free, consider them my gift to you.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock