Started on: 02-04-2011 06:50 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: phonedawgz on 02-07-2011 12:51 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'm converting my automatic to a manual transmission car. I have EVERYTHING from the manual transmission car that I could possibly need sitting in boxes, etc, in a shed.

With my automatic, I had to do two things in order to start the car:

1 - Depress the brake pedal.
2 - The car had to be in Park or neutral.

To start the car in a manual, there was only one thing I had to do, push in the clutch.

So, what all do I need to swap into my Fiero so that I can have a functional neutral safety switch on my car?

Thanks guys!

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
The steering column and the clutch safety switch.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
No need to depress the brake pedal on an automatic Fiero.

There is a fat YELLOW wire that connects to the ignition switch (Both auto and stick) That wire runs to the neutral switch (Clutch or Auto Tranny switch located on the auto tranny). From the neutral/clutch switch the wire is a fat PURPLE wire that runs to the starter solenoid.

So if you have an auto, the YELLOW wire from the ignition switch runs all the way back to C500, the connector by the battery.

If you have a stick, the YELLOW wire from the ignition switch runs to the clutch switch. The second wire on the clutch switch is the fat PURPLE wire. The fat PURPLE wire runs to C500.

So for whatever reason GM designated different pins on C500 for the YELLOW and PURPLE wire. My guess is so if you have an auto wiring harness in the cab of the car, and they have a auto engine harness, it makes it that the engine doesn't crank. Of course we are going to just deal with the moved pin, so it's not a big deal.

So what you want to do. Cut the YELLOW wire and splice it to the clutch switch. Then back at C500 either you have to move the solenoid wire to other position, on either the body side of C500 or the engine side of C500 so they line up again.

You also have to deal with the reverse switch wiring. Auto trannys, and 5 speeds have the reverse switch on the transmission itself. 4 speeds have the switch in the console.

------

Edited to change pink to purple. The other posts reminded me of the correct color.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-04-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

The steering column and the clutch safety switch.

Ahh.. ok. I have the steering column too... but it is NASTY looking. I guess the wiring harness that connects to the steering column is the same regardless of automatic vs manual?

And then the connector that attaches to the neutral safety swich, that then instead connets to the CLUTCH safety switch?

------------------
Todd,

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22916 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

No need to depress the brake pedal on an automatic Fiero.

There is a fat yellow wire that connects to the ignition switch (Both auto and stick) That wire runs to the neutral switch (Clutch or Auto Tranny switch located on the auto tranny). From the neutral/clutch switch the wire is a fat pink wire that runs to the starter solenoid.

So if you have an auto, the YELLOW wire from the ignition switch runs all the way back to C500, the connector by the battery.

If you have a stick, the YELLOW wire from the ignition switch runs to the clutch switch. The second wire on the clutch switch is the fat PINK wire. The fat PINK wire runs to C500.

So for whatever reason GM designated different pins on C500 for the YELLOW and PINK wire. My guess is so if you have an auto wiring harness in the cab of the car, and they have a auto engine harness, it makes it that the engine doesn't crank. Of course we are going to just deal with the moved pin, so it's not a big deal.

So what you want to do. Cut the YELLOW wire and splice it to the clutch switch. Then back at C500 either you have to move the solenoid wire to other position, on either the body side of C500 or the engine side of C500 so they line up again.

You also have to deal with the reverse switch wiring. Auto trannys, and 5 speeds have the reverse switch on the transmission itself. 4 speeds have the switch in the console.

Oh yeah... forgot about reverse. Heh...

Ok, that makes sense. I've got a manual ECM too. I saved the wiring harness from the manual transmission car too, but my car is really in very good condition, so I'd rather just re-use my harness.

Thanks!

------------------
Todd,

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
This is the clutch safety switch It only connects when the clutch is fully pressed. The other switches you might find on the clutch pedal are for tripping off the cruise control.

The two fat connectors are the ones the starter wires connect to.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
In the auto harrness the yellow wire runs from thew column through c500 to the trans safety switch then the starter.

In the manual the yellow wire runs to the clutch switch and then purple runs through c500 direct to the starter.

You will just have to splice your clutch swith into the yellow ignition wire under the dash, then cut and run the yellow to the starter from c500.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So if you use the auto engine harness (modified) and connect it to the auto body harness, you don't have to move the starter wire pin.

You will have to cut off the auto tranny switch, splice together the fat pink and fat yellow wires together. The blue and green wires that also were on the auto tranny switch need to be spliced to the reverse switch if you have a 5 speed. The other two wires on the auto tranny switch don't get used. Also you will have a TCC wire on the auto harness that you don't use for the manual.
sportcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sportcoupeSend a Private Message to sportcoupeDirect Link to This Post

This is the clutch safety switch It only connects when the clutch is fully pressed. The other switches you might find on the clutch pedal are for tripping off the cruise control.

The two fat connectors are the ones the starter wires connect to.

Anyone have a picture of this switch installed? I crawled under the dash and can't figure it out.

The previous owner took it off my Fiero and I would like to have it (for safety).
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Again - the switch with the sliding arm only conects when the pedal is fully to the floor (Safety Starter Switch)

The switch at the top of the throw throws as soon as you start pressing on the clutch pedal (Cruise Trip Switch)

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-05-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Again - the switch with the sliding arm only conects when the pedal is fully to the floor (Safety Starter Switch)

The switch at the top of the throw throws as soon as you start pressing on the clutch pedal (Cruise Trip Switch)

Wouldn't you want the cruise trip switch to be on the brake pedal, and not the clutch pedal?

... oooh...

never mind....

------------------
Todd,

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So THATS why there is more than one switch on the brake pedal.

Hmmmmmm

Also is a switch on the brake pedal do disengage the TCC (torque converter clutch) on the brake pedal on automatics
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
When I changed mine from an automatic to a Getrag 5 speed I eliminated the switch on the clutch pedal (jumpered it out) and I left the auto steering column in. I have no lever to push to remove the key. I like it like that.

But I did have to add the cruise switch to the clutch pedal.

I did not change the wiring harness. I did what I had to do to modify the automatic wiring harness to work with the 5 speed.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You'll also need to run the ignition switch from the manual, it bolts right to the column. In fact, other than the ignition switch and the manual-specific key release lever mechanism all the other mechanical bits in the columns are the same. The auto ignition switch has a cable interlock function that connects to the auto shifter. Without the cable the switch can randomly lock.

Also, the wiper switch inside the column needs to match whatever wiper system you have (intermittent or non-intermittent). Horn and turn signal stuff is all the same. Look at my column write up for a better understanding of the column.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The switches don't look too different to me.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

The auto ignition switch has a cable interlock function that connects to the auto shifter. Without the cable the switch can randomly lock.

Umm... that's not good. So you're saying I absolutely should go with the manual column? The automatic column that came with my car is in really good shape... I'd hate to swap to my manual column which is beat to hell.

I've really got to re-read this entire thread... it sounds to me like there is literally about 100 different things I have to do, including re-wiring the starter or some crap. Damn. I can't imagine why GM made this so complicated.

Isn't there just a single wire I can bypass or complete the circuit on? Or re-use all the neutral safety switches and just use them on the new pedals? Jeeze...

------------------
Todd,

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
If you don't want a clutch switch you don't have to do anything under the dash except disconnect the auto cable from the column and add the pedals.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

If you don't want a clutch switch you don't have to do anything under the dash except disconnect the auto cable from the column and add the pedals.

Thanks Dawgz, I hate to sound like a ***** , but damn, there's definitely a lot to do.

So you're telling me that all I REALLY need to do inside the car so that I can drive my Fiero with an automatic to manual conversion, is just disconnect the cable, swap out the pedals, and the shifter? And that's it?

------------------
Todd,

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
You won't have a safety switch on the clutch or a cruise trip switch on the clutch. The engine would crank in gear, and when you press on the clutch the cruise would rev until you press the brake (that is how mine is still wired)

You have to unbolt the ignition switch from the bottom of the column (you will have it out to swap the pedals) and then disconnect the auto cable from it. 4 bolts hold the column in place plus 1 holds the U-joint on the steering shaft. - Note the ignition switch itself is bolted to the top side of the lower column. The ignition LOCK is what is inside the column, and no you don't have to go inside the column.

You might have to deal with a reverse light switch in the console if you are going 4 speed. That switch is on the tranny if you are going with either 5 speed. So if you are going 5 speed you don't have to worry about the console reverse switch.

The shifter cables are 1/2 inside the car.

You have to knock out the second shifter cable knock out in the firewall. It's stamped to be knocked out, but you have to hit it with a hammer and then twist it out.

You are going to use a manual ECM or change the chip in your ECM to manual right? (you do want to do this also)
The only differences between the manual and auto ECM for the same year and type engine is just a chip. You can get one quite cheap on here btw. It unplugs and the new one plugs in.

You also have to purchase a Man Pedal shirt.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-07-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
It's really not that complicated. There are a bunch of steps. The thing is I think Fiero owners are kinda anal and want to tell you every step and that is what makes it look kinda complicated.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yup...having done this too...what phonedawgz posted is right on.

another thing most skip over until they try it: the automatic rear deck lid popper. this too is different between autos & manuals. there is a relay under the dash which either needs jumping, or some other mod, depending on your quest for authenticity.

but - in the end - the "easy" answer is to just cross the yellow & purple wires at the old auto trans connector. this will remove ALL safety switches, so, the car WILL crank in gear, no matter where the clutch is. not a good answer - but - it is simple. a little cleaner is to jump them same wires at the C500 connecter.

adding the clutch switch, while not "easy", is fairly straight forward. under the steering column, find the fat yellow wire, cut it, and splice the clutch safety switch inline. and, jump the yellow & purple at either the C500 (preffered) or at the old trans connector

I never swapped the steering column. now I am wondering why you need to?
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

You won't have a safety switch on the clutch or a cruise trip switch on the clutch. The engine would crank in gear, and when you press on the clutch the cruise would rev until you press the brake (that is how mine is still wired)

You have to unbolt the ignition switch from the bottom of the column (you will have it out to swap the pedals) and then disconnect the auto cable from it. 4 bolts hold the column in place plus 1 holds the U-joint on the steering shaft. - Note the ignition switch itself is bolted to the top side of the lower column. The ignition LOCK is what is inside the column, and no you don't have to go inside the column.

You might have to deal with a reverse light switch in the console if you are going 4 speed. That switch is on the tranny if you are going with either 5 speed. So if you are going 5 speed you don't have to worry about the console reverse switch.

The shifter cables are 1/2 inside the car.

You have to knock out the second shifter cable knock out in the firewall. It's stamped to be knocked out, but you have to hit it with a hammer and then twist it out.

You are going to use a manual ECM or change the chip in your ECM to manual right? (you do want to do this also)
The only differences between the manual and auto ECM for the same year and type engine is just a chip. You can get one quite cheap on here btw. It unplugs and the new one plugs in.

You also have to purchase a Man Pedal shirt.

Thanks Phone... please bear with me... I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but I have ADD so I'm trying to organize this. I have the interior gutted and stripped down to a bare interior. All the wiring is there, and I'm cleaning it up and re-routing some of it as best as I can. My dash is removed, the steering column is removed, and the shifter assembly is removed, along with every piece of interior, carpet, seats, etc... it's all out of there.

The pedals are already installed, and the steering shaft is coming out of the firewall.

As far as I understand, there are only TWO things that I NEED to worry about:

1 - Cruise Safety Switch
2 - Clutch Safety Switch

When I look at my pedals, I see TWO open holes next to my clutch, and ONE open hole next to my brake.

So I know that the clutch safety switch goes on the clutch, and the crusie safety switch will go on both the brake and clutch pedal.

Right now, I only have a cruise safety switch for the brake. I'm assuming that I can just piggy back the cruise safety switch that goes onto the clutch, on that same wiring harness.

So with that said, the cruise issue would be resolved.

Now the ONLY thing I think that I have to worry about is the clutch safety switch... and essentially, I will need to mess with the harness that goes into the steering column and adapt it to the neutral / clutch safety switch.

Other than that, I do have a new chip that was burned for my 3.2, and a manual transmission ECM (although, as you said, it's the same part number). The reverse wiring shouldn't be too difficult either, I can figure that out. Is the reverse wiring on the column (because of the safety cable) or is that on the shifter? I didn't even bother to look when I removed it.

Thanks again, and I apologize if I'm basically asking the same question 10 different ways.

------------------
Todd,

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well you see that big fat yellow wire that goes to the ignition switch? That is the one you would run through the clutch starter safety switch if you wanted it to work. But again you don't really have to.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock