Pre paint tips? by Wam3
Started on: 02-02-2011 06:46 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Tha Driver on 02-03-2011 01:23 PM
Wam3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wam3Send a Private Message to Wam3Direct Link to This Post
Maaco is having a 1/2 price sales this month and will do the whole car for $350 bucks. (This is the "presidential" 2nd from bottom, and their "value prep") My car is in pretty good shape, I have a little crack in on fender that I'm going to replace - other than that it's just faded and dull.

I was thinking of rattle canning the black pieces behind the windows, mirrors and rockers, and taking off all the trim, moldings that I can and removing the taillights. I think they said it would be an additional 100 for them to paint the black pieces.

What else would be a good idea to deal with before hand?

W

------------------
Ps. Typos are free, consider them my gift to you.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
You will get a 20 foot paint job with a ton of orange peel and a paint without a clearcoat. IF you prep it right, not scuff, SAND everywhere, fill any imperfections, remove ALL emblems trim, lights ,etc yourself and plan on sanding the whole car with 1000 grit and then 1500 grit, then rubbing compound and then polish, you can get a decent paint job with not too much overspray to fix. I would also pre-tape all the gutters as well as macco's "prep" is usually pretty half done.

90% of paint is in prep and the final sanding and rubout. $350.00 will NOT get you any prep other than maybe garbage bags over the wheels if you are lucky. It will certainly get you really low grade paint and no attention to detail.

Honestly, it may be OK for you. Some fieros look like a parts car with every panel a different color and faded clear. BUT if you dont sand off and fill with a filler primer and then sand again the spots where the clear is peeling, it will show through the paint as ripples.

------------------

Get your copy of the Fiero 25th Anniv book at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/349809

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 02-02-2011).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Here that Presidential Paint job is $249. They advertise it as a 'sale' but its been that price for 3 years uninterrupted. As said many times before, its a franchise so quality varies between each shop. Look at some theyve done to see if its what you expect. Strongly suggest YOU do the sanding, they fail at the prep work. Even better if YOU pretape everything you can yourself too so they only have to stick on paper. That means around window edges, trim, sunroof, etc. Take off parts like headlite covers and wings/rack and marker lights. Take out all the tail light bolts except for 1 on each and you can even take a driver and remove them yourself when you get there. Some of them do excellent paint jobs as far as spraying them. One beside me does lots of old muscle cars and show cars. They do even basecoat clearcoat jobs and wet sand and buff them if you pay for that.
Wam3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wam3Send a Private Message to Wam3Direct Link to This Post
Yea, the ongoing sale - each month the name of it changes?

I will ask around about getting the prep done, until my garage is emptied I have no where to work okn the car. I got a warning from the HOA when I changed out the belt tensioner. I may be able to talk a buddy into his place. I figured maccos prep would be lacking, although when the guy walked around it he noted the few litter nicks and chips and said they would fill them.

It probably will be Ok for me, it's not a show car and in are this won't be the last paint job a the project progresses. This whole painting idea came from wanting to add a spoiler and filling luggage rack holes. One thing always leads to something bigger while your at it it seems.

------------------
Ps. Typos are free, consider them my gift to you.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Take off everything you can, pre-mask stuff you don't want painted. Remove trim, mirrors, lights, moldings, etc. Overspray will travel several feet inside body panels and door gaps, so put masking everywhere you can see and that you don't want paint spray on. Wetsand with 400 down to good paint/primer, but not through to the base plastic. Sanding technique is critical, it's easy to sand ridges and swales into your surface. That's why I recommend wet-sanding, you can look at how light reflects on the wet surface and see low spots, finger grooves, gouges, etc.

90% of a good initial paint job is surface prep and masking, 90% is good spray technique, and with the first two not done well 90% is corrective work such as wetsanding/buffing. Also, get a good paint system, basecoat/clearcoat at a minimum, though for that price they're probably just shooting a straight cheap enamel that will begin to fade and change colors within a year or two.

How good and reliable of a paint job do you want?

I did fairly well by signing up for autobody classes at my local junior college, buying all my paints and supplies from http://www.autobodytoolmart.com and pulling my panels off to paint everything but the roof and rear clip off the car. I spent about 400 for the base/clear urethane paint and surfacing primer plus the epoxy primer, and $500 for two semesters' worth of tuition and lab fees. We have an excellent downdraft heated paint booth and good instructors. I also painted my bike with a three-stage candy system during the same semester. I could have done it cheaper by getting all the prep done before signing up and only using one semester to paint the car and bike.

As a parting word, if you want to rattlecan something, go down to a real paint supply house such as Sherwin Williams Automotive http://www.sherwin-automoti...Us/StoreLocator.aspx and get one of their special rattlecan systems. The can has a capsule inside, you activate it by banging it on a hard surface, then spray. Or you can order SEM Trim Black which activates with lacquer thinner and buy a basic HVLP trim gun from Harbor Freight which will work well with one of their 10 gallon compressors, then spray the parts yourself. Stuff like Krylon will start fading almost immediately and worse, once painted with that you can never repaint with any quality paint again due to chemistry mismatches. In school last semester a kid ruined his paint job because he used Krylon rattlecan primer on some spots without telling the instructor. When he started spraying the paint just wrinkled up and literally fell off everywhere that Krylon was. It was a shame, too, because he paid big money for that pearl metallic from PPG.

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 02-03-2011).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wam3:

It probably will be Ok for me, it's not a show car and in are this won't be the last paint job a the project progresses.

Just realize if you're going to paint it again, you'll have to strip off ALL the maaco paint to do it right. That's THREE times as much prep work the next time!
I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time, especially when it comes to painting with all the time involved for prep.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock