3.4 Pushrod by rourke_87_T-Top
Started on: 01-28-2011 01:41 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Hudini on 02-03-2011 09:47 AM
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to compile a list of performance parts available for the 3.4 pushrod. I'm looking for a good set of connecting rods, recommendations, part numbers and brands or available sources.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
summitracing.com

Put in the engine or pick a 1995 camaro with 3.4. there's your list of what is available.

------------------

Get your copy of the Fiero 25th Anniv book at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/349809

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Pull the info off this page. It's from an old Archive http://web.archive.org/web/...ormance/60degree.php

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-03-2011).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

I'm looking to compile a list of performance parts available for the 3.4 pushrod. I'm looking for a good set of connecting rods, recommendations, part numbers and brands or available sources.

I think it helps to know your goals so that we can best advise you on how to achieve this.

For instance, do you want a boosted motor? Parts will change based on that...
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I bought an '88 Formula, and a lot of parts were included, two additional motors, one is an '87 2.8 the other is a 3.4 P.R. on a stand. Ported and polished cylinder head castings, F.S. Sprint headers, Truleo intake, 62mm throttle body, I also have 3400 dohc pistons, a couple different cams to choose from, H272, new lifters, bought valve springs from another member, I believe they are 130 # but will need to measure them, neutral balance Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 kit, new guides, stem locks, double roller timing set, ARP bolts etc. not planning to boost it. just a stout plant to thrash.

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 01-31-2011).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Plan on doing an ECM upgrade also if you want to push the engine. You can get by with increasing the fuel pressure with the stock 2.8 ecm on a stockish 3.4 but if you want to tweak it, plan on a ECM upgrade.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I also picked up Edelbrock fuel pump, p/n 17933 , yes I figure the adjustable fuel regulator 17 lb. and computer upgrade would be required.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Talk to gmtuners.com and see what he recommends for the ECM. The 7730 is fairly popular.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
What compression would the 3400 dohc pistons produce in the 3.4 pushrod ?

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 02-02-2011).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Go to this website, http://60degreev6.com/forum...tent.php/101-CR-Calc , and look up the 3400 default specs. Note the piston dome volume. Now lookup your 3.4L iron head motor with "Use User Entered Values" and input the 3400 piston dome volume instead of the 3.4L piston dome volume. This assumes piston deck clearance is the same.

I get 9.95:1. Use the CR calculator to play with different values like head gasket thickness to get what you want.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I'll give that a try, I picked up this 3.4 motor project from someone else which inclued many parts, I'm just formulating a build.
PFF
System Bot
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Pistons are Silvolite # 3409, Federal Mogul H813CP
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Go to this website, http://60degreev6.com/forum...tent.php/101-CR-Calc , and look up the 3400 default specs. Note the piston dome volume. Now lookup your 3.4L iron head motor with "Use User Entered Values" and input the 3400 piston dome volume instead of the 3.4L piston dome volume. This assumes piston deck clearance is the same.

I get 9.95:1. Use the CR calculator to play with different values like head gasket thickness to get what you want.

I think you forgot about the combustion chamber volume in the head. Don't have the specs handy,
but the iron head and aluminum head volumes are nowhere near the same.

snakeskinner1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post
are you talking about putting the 3400 pistons in the 3.4 block? are they the same diameter as the stock 3.4 pistons or are you having the cylinders bored out?

What compression would the 3400 pistons produce in the 3.4 pushrod ?

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
With our intake,the Sprint headers and higher comp pistons you should go with a more aggresive. Most cams for these are designed for use with the rev limiting stock intakes. Checkout what Engle has. Just dont with the 509 lift to be safe piston wise.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Oh so you have a P/R motor but you also have a set of the 3.4 L DOHC pistons.... I got the message wrong... sorry.

Here's where I got my forged connecting rods.. ARI Engines

http://www.engine-parts.com/

and again my pistons are from Ross.. I'm running a 260 comp cam with 1.6 roller rockers from crane, performance springs and SI stainless valves.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-30-2011).]

snakeskinner1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Oh so you have a P/R motor but you also have a set of the 3.4 L DOHC pistons.... I got the message wrong... sorry.

Here's where I got my forged connecting rods.. ARI Engines

http://www.engine-parts.com/

and again my pistons are from Ross.. I'm running a 260 comp cam with 1.6 roller rockers from crane, performance springs and SI stainless valves.

how much where your pistons$$$ ? im assumeing you have forged? also im doing a 3.4pr swap and am wanting to go with 1.6 rockers... did you have any trouble clearing the piston tops with the valves? im useing the stock flat top pistons, stock valve length, stock springs and a mild cam from west coast fiero..... i think it was the 80 instead of the 60 series they offered??

[This message has been edited by snakeskinner1 (edited 01-30-2011).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Ross pistons started around 99 each. You can get a floating pin or the other way. They offer all the rings, bearings and such also if you need them. Yes they are forged aluminum and no problem clearing. I do know to look into the rockers because only some will fit. The pistons are flat on top too. When I get on the regular computer I'll attach a picture to a post.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
The Las Vegas Fiero Club built and installed my 3.4 PR. sardonyx247 is his user name on Pennocks. That is all they do and have quite a good reputation. Plug for them , sorry. He knows this motor inside and out and has been doing them for years. I would ask him. Their website is http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.org/
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Here's a picture of the Ross piston and ARI forged connecting rods --- snakeskinner1, I wanted to add that the 1.6 ratio will put a strain on the springs if you are using a 260 or higher cam... I may be okay with a 252 cam but ask around.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-31-2011).]

snakeskinner1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post
those things are b-e-a-utifull! i assume the pistons are also forged? i have been tossing the idea of forged pistons around in case i want to add boost in the future but $$$! if you dont mind.... what did that set cost ya?
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If youre going to stay at 9.5 comp or lower -for todays gas- and dont plan on boost or NOS, you wont need forged psitons, Also I may have a much cheeper source for higher comp pistons, I'll ost who they ar ad the details if it works out. Also, if youre going to go with higher comp pistons keep valve lift in mind and dont forget to do the math if you use 1.6 rockers.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Here's a picture of the Ross piston and ARI forged connecting rods --- snakeskinner1, I wanted to add that the 1.6 ratio will put a strain on the springs if you are using a 260 or higher cam... I may be okay with a 252 cam but ask around.

I agree and most cam makers dont like 1.6 rockers they waer the lobes too quickly. I jsut sold an almost new set of 1.6 and ordered a set 1.5 to use with my new Engle cam for thta reasom, besides the cam has 509 lift anyway.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

summitracing.com

Put in the engine or pick a 1995 camaro with 3.4. there's your list of what is available.

^ ^ ^ What he said ^ ^ ^
I can try to dig up part numbers later, but most of everything is at Summit. Other part numbers may be in my thread, link in sig.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Plan on doing an ECM upgrade also if you want to push the engine. You can get by with increasing the fuel pressure with the stock 2.8 ecm on a stockish 3.4 but if you want to tweak it, plan on a ECM upgrade.

You don't need to swap ECMs, the Fiero one works fine. Incressing fuel pressure is not the best way to tune an engine.

Originally posted by hercimer01:

The Las Vegas Fiero Club built and installed my 3.4 PR. sardonyx247 is his user name on Pennocks. That is all they do and have quite a good reputation. Plug for them , sorry. He knows this motor inside and out and has been doing them for years. I would ask him. Their website is http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.org/

Thanks for the comment

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by snakeskinner1:

are you talking about putting the 3400 pistons in the 3.4 block? are they the same diameter as the stock 3.4 pistons or are you having the cylinders bored out?
I didn't realize there were so many combinations of these hybrid 60* V6's or that the 3400 pistons were an option in 3.4 P.R. , but I have 3400 dohc pistons.

rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
I calculated it to be 10.41:1

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 02-02-2011).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

I didn't realize there were so many combinations of these hybrid 60* V6's or that the 3400 pistons were an option in 3.4 P.R. , but I have 3400 dohc pistons.

Sorry, getting confused here with the different V6 engines with 3.4L displacement.

While the 3.4L DOHC pistons will work with Fiero heads, the 3400 pistons will not (compression too high).
See pics http://www.angelfire.com/on...tblock/shortblk.html

We think of the 3400 as the roller cam engine block with aluminum heads.
Then the 3.4L DOHC, then the 3.4L P/R from Camaro/Firebird (same heads as Fiero).

My GT's engine is a hybrid of all 3. I used the 3400 block because I wanted the roller cam setup, used Fiero iron heads on it
and installed the 3.4L DOHC pistons to bump the compression ratio to approx. 9.5 (works fine with premium gas).

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I added to the confusion by repeating the OP's use of 3400 DOHC instead of the normal 3.4L DOHC. Sorry bout that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock