Avenger on a Fiero Chassis? by RedlinePlus
Started on: 01-15-2011 11:03 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: GODFATHER on 01-21-2011 05:03 PM
RedlinePlus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedlinePlusSend a Private Message to RedlinePlusDirect Link to This Post
FiberFab Avenger Skin on a Chop Top Fiero. Looks like a close fit with a nose chop and remount of the Radiator/condensor. Anyone done this yet?

------------------
If you are not speeding, check your six to make sure the driver on your bumper is not texting.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Seems like I have seen it done before, but don't know if it was ever finished. But any time you put a kit on a frame it's not made for, you're in for a LOT of work. I'd do a LOT of measuring before I bought the kit - especially the width...
EDIT: Be glad to do it for you if you can't do it yourself.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 01-16-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I have always liked the avenger, but there are gt40 kits made specifically for the fiero. I don't know if archie still offers one.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Yes it's been done with both the avenger and kelmark --- lots of cutting and repositioning of stuff in the front to make it fit - easier with the kelmark - Just find a fiero 40 kit --- someone in the MOFOA has one for sale ---hoowasat@cox.net -- If you have an avenger keep it simple - front disk and a beefed up air cooled --- I use to build the avenger kits aka the nightmare in a box- fun cars when done right.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I spoke with Jack Kube a few days ago and he told me that he is still making his GT-40 Fiero kit. His company used to be NAF (North American Fiberglass) but now it is something like ASPP. He is located in Arizona. He doesn't have a website but I found his phone number and address easily in a MSN search.

He was supposed to e-mail me some pics and info but I've not heard back. I was thinking of trying to build my own body. I've never done it before so that may be the biggest draw/challenge that attracts me.

My biggest question would be which way would be cheaper in the end. Buying a pre-made body kit or paying for materials.

------------------
Jonathan
1987 Notchie - Reborn with 2.8V6/Getrag
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I spoke with Jack Kube a few days ago and he told me that he is still making his GT-40 Fiero kit. His company used to be NAF (North American Fiberglass) but now it is something like ASPP. He is located in Arizona. He doesn't have a website but I found his phone number and address easily in a MSN search.

He was supposed to e-mail me some pics and info but I've not heard back. I was thinking of trying to build my own body. I've never done it before so that may be the biggest draw/challenge that attracts me.

My biggest question would be which way would be cheaper in the end. Buying a pre-made body kit or paying for materials.

Cheaper, buy the material, getting to a finished project buying the pre-made kit. The skills to create a body kit are immense. Even with the pre-made kit will require much sanding, filling to get it right.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Yeah you're probably looking at 1,000 hours or more to make a one-off body that's worth a crap & looks good. Heck even after you buy most kits you still have to spend 100 hours or so (or a whole lot more on the not-so-great kits) to mount it & rework it to make it look *good*.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I built my Avenger / GT40 on VW pan with Porsche front end (brakes and steering) and a 911 Porsche engine and transaxle. There would be plenty of room for a conversion to Fiero. With the engine setting farther to the front like a Fiero, you would have room at the very rear for a gas tank like a Corvette. Putting a radiator up front would take up the room normally for the gas tank. Id make sure you had plenty of bumper to protect the rear from a collision.

Heres mine after I finished it. Archies is a perfect replica, but its not cheap. The other kits for Fiero are close in shape, but not very accurate to the original. The 2 kits Ive seen are too tall and too short. But there probably the best bang for the buck. I dont know if it would be worth it to use the Fiberfab unless you can really get one dirt cheap. Mine had the tilt forward nose and rear tilting rear. It rode lower than Fiero, my seat bottom was only about 3 inches from the pavement, but with the weight, the thing was a rocket and handled like a gokart.

RedlinePlus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedlinePlusSend a Private Message to RedlinePlusDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input. I do have an Avenger body that needs to be used and several Fieros with terrible body panels. Can't seem to remember the name of the guys in Germany that produced a body of this same shape for the VW pan back in 1965. A Fiero with this shape would be my DD of choice. It is the ridge that runs down each fender, across the top of the doors, and over the hips of the Avenger that gets my blood boiling. The GT40 doesn't have these. I had hoped to find someone who has already done this to compare notes. Thanks again.

And Roger, nice ride.

------------------
If you are not speeding, check your six to make sure the driver on your bumper is not texting.

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

i gotta say it since no one else has
whos the car gal? pretty good looking car accessory lol
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had my Kelmark back that I built in 78 on a VW pan. I would put it on a fiero chassis in a heat beat.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock