Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Need help !! With instlling a diff dashboard.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need help !! With instlling a diff dashboard. by punkguy0017
Started on: 01-11-2011 09:31 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: punkguy0017 on 01-27-2011 11:47 PM
punkguy0017

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
Hi i wanna swap out the interior of my fiero for a more "modern" look has anyone ever done or know of any websites hit em thanks guys Also fiero is what u get when camaro's and firebirds have sex
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
http://pisafierohq.com/

The search button will reveal some people retro-fitting a different car dash into the Fiero, like the 3000GT, Firebird/Camaro, and GTP just to name a few people have modified to fit into the Fiero

I don't know about your last line there.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 01-11-2011).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Check out this install !

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/108830.html

Anything is possible if you have the skills !
bowrapennocks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I installed a Camaro dash in my Fiero:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/097751.html

Jim
punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys i really like the miata dash looks really awesome!! To the guy who did that miata dash swap what yr miatas have that dash and what special model?
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by punkguy0017:

Thanks guys i really like the miata dash looks really awesome!! To the guy who did that miata dash swap what yr miatas have that dash and what special model?

1999 - 2005 Miata's have that dash; no special model. I think the "leather package" gives you the 2-tone dash (black/tan), otherwise it is all black.

Rick
bowrapennocks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I like the Miata dash better than my Camaro dash. It took a lot of work to plumb all the AC vents on the Camaro dash. I think the Firebird dash from the same years (1993-1997) is a little easier than the Camaro, because it sits taller and there is more room for ducting. Rick, how hard was the ducting for the Miata?

There also have been some folks on here that have done late model (like 2007) Malibu dashes as well.

Jim
couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bowrapennocks:

Rick, how hard was the ducting for the Miata?

Jim

It's kind of hard to say looking back now. The center duct, that ties the Fiero duct into the Miata dash vents was fairly easy. I made a sheet metal adaptor piece. The defroster vent was more difficult since I had to make a fibreglass piece to fit the Miata dash and line up with the Fiero defroster. Both of these worked out very well and get plenty of airflow. The side window defroster ducts, on top of the Miata dash, don't work very well. I would think of a better way to do these if I was ever to do it again, or maybe just ignore them since they aren't essential. Overall I'd say the ducting wasn't too bad to do, but like yours I'm sure, you aren't going to swap in a dash with all the vents in a couple days.

Rick

[This message has been edited by couldahadaV8 (edited 01-12-2011).]

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
couldahadaV8 i like the shifter plate umade do u know of anystore that sells em? i know u made yers and all you mind making me one ill buy it from you that came out sweet!!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Here is a different dash/interior on a Fiero.

Nelson

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
What about honda del sol interior? will it fit?
PFF
System Bot
couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

couldahadaV8 i like the shifter plate umade do u know of anystore that sells em? i know u made yers and all you mind making me one ill buy it from you that came out sweet!!

It really wouldn't work making one for someone else as every dash and console installation would be a little different. The slots for the shifter would have to be machined to fit the console position. Since you would have to make a cardboard pattern for it anyways, you could give it to any machine shop to make one. And the one I made would only work with an auto tranny.

Rick

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
oh thanks man.
punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post

punkguy0017

78 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Well since im going to a junkyard on sat im gonna be looking for hopefully a gt that has a fast back so i can convert mines into one and also i wanna look at dashboards and middle consoles.Can anyone help with this?
3084me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post

I've got a 240SX dash and a 3000GT dash. Both in Pristine Condition if you have any interest.

$100 for the 240 dash and $175 for the 3000GT dash. (both complete except for the instrument clusters). (3000 GT dash is still in the parts car - I'd have to remove it).

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
Well can you send pics of the dashboards.
3084me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post

Well can you send pics of the dashboards.

I sure can.

I have 2 pics posted along with my replica on the replica site. Here are 2 pics of the 240 dash. The condition is pretty much flawless. I looked around for a long time to find a perfect dash as my car is in really nice shape. Since then I found 2 Replica Ferrari 308 Dashboards).

NOTE:. In the pics, the part over the glovebox (not shown in picture) is the cover for the airbag. It is included, it's just not in the pic. With a simple hinge and some easy mods, the space can be used for another glove box, LCD?? or additional storage or possibly a cover for a small subwoofer installed under the dash.

The "square hole" on the left hand side of the gauges / side of the dash is for the vent that "mates" to the door panel for the door glass defrost. I have those vents as well and they are included.

The only thing not included is the gauge cluster shown in the pic (which wouldn't work in the Fiero an added $100 the price so I didn't buy it from the guy). - I paid $240 for the dash last year + shipping.

Let me know if you need close-up pics. I can even "prop it up" in the car if you want.

Unlike some other dash swaps, The 240 dash fits very well around the windshield curve all the way around to just about the ends. The defroster vent lines up well with the fiero original defroster location. Very little work / fabrication needed other than the very corners of the dash which you can make from 1/4" plywood and cover with vinyl. Far less than some other dash swaps.

Also. After looking at the 240 dash and the original Fiero Dash, it looks quite possible that you can strip the Fiero Dash down to the skeleton, modify it and attach the 240 dash to it so you can use the factory dash mounting points. (depending on your skills etc).

Pic 1:

http://customcarblogs.com/g...in.php?g2_itemId=349

Pic 2

http://customcarblogs.com/g...in.php?g2_itemId=347

I can take some pics of the 3000GT dash tomorrow (Still in the 3000GT).

That dash is in fantastic condition as well. ( I just didn't think it would look right in my Ferrari 308 replica (It's just too common / recognizable of a dash to use in a replica (At least I think so), but I think they look great in Fieros.

Also, I noticed you're in Huntington Station, NY. I travel up to the Route 202 / 22 area (Bridgewater, NJ) a few times a month for work. (About 1:25 minutes from where I live in PA). I'd be glad to meet a fellow forum member to save some drive time, if you decide you have interest in either of the dash's and want to save shipping costs.

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 01-21-2011).]

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
the nissan dash looks good but what gauges cann i fit in it? also i would like to see the 300gt dash too if you dont mind.Also do u have any middle consoles that would fit?
3084me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

3000GT pics:

For the 240, many people fabricate their own mounting panel and use VDO gauges or modify their original Fiero Guages.

For the 3000GT, You can use a stock 3000GT gauge cluster and do some re-wiring.

Here is one of the 3000GT dash swaps: (This dash is an older 1st generation dash with no passenger airbag) - mine has a passenger airbag "spot" that you can make into a 2nd glovebox as well).

Hat's off to Hulki U. My-BFF, who did a fantastic write up, showing diagrams and the simple brackets / mounting points he made for the dash, along with HAVC modifications, Very nice post - almost a complete How-To book.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070709.html

If I'm not mistaken, the speedo, tach, oil pressure, water etc will all work with some minor rewiring / modifications. The Fuel Gauge needs the wires from the sender in the gas tank reversed, otherwise the gas gauge reads full when empty and empty when full. (Pretty easy fix there.).

Personally, I prefer the 3000GT dash in the Fiero. I think it looks better AND it has the 3 extra gauge pods built into the dash which looks pretty aggressive. It take a little bit of fabrication but I also like the way the console wraps into the dash on the 3000GT. The only reason I didn't use it is, that it's a newer / more modern looking dash and it just doesn't look right in an old Ferrari replica - It looks to "new".

The 240 dash sits a bit lower, takes a bit more legroom away from you and the gauges sit lower in the car so you have to look down lower than where the Fiero Gauges usually are / where you are used to looking. But, the 240 dash has an "older / simpler" look to it which is what I kind of needed in the replica.

For the 3000GT, I have the original 100% working gauge cluster and I do have the complete console as well. I would do $275 for everything, including all of the gauges, HVAC Controls (which I believe a few forum members installed into their cars), dash tweeters, console, lid, the entire setup - everything.

While I've run across a few at junkyards for similar or a bit cheaper when I was looking, what I kept finding was: Damaged areas when people tore out the radio, cracked / burned / painted neon, missing speakers, burns holes, mouse droppings, chewed up wiring, chewed up foam, missing switched and buttons, mold an mildew etc.

I didn't want any of that in my car so I looked around for almost a year until I found exactly what I wanted.

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 01-22-2011).]

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
Hey i like the 3000 dah really nice does it come with the gauges and such?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Not to discourage you, but read the links and see what you are going to get yourself into before laying out the cash for a dash.

It is not all that simple, looks easy, but it is tough to get everything to sit and align just right - be prepared to cut into the frame work, redo wiring, build a new air box and so on. If you have the time and patience you can make it look good - but the big key is time and patience. Easily expect to spend a few weeks doing it.

Be there done that, here is mine:

4th Gen Firebird dash, console & seats - door panels modelled on the 4th Gen Firebird (hybrid panel using both the stock Fiero panel and Firebird components).

PFF
System Bot
punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
ok so the middle console and the door panels fit the fiero?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

ok so the middle console and the door panels fit the fiero?

not without modification to console itself and the sheet metal under the console. My door panels are hand made using both Fiero and Firebird parts (Firebird door panels are a lot longer than the Fiero doors are and will not fit without modification). Any dash/console/door panel from any other make/model will require work to make them fit (cutting to size/fit, modify the cars sheet metal, modify the electrical, modify the HVAC system, perhapes modify the HVAC controls, perhapes modify the gages) - it is NOT a simple cut and paste - do a search on here for dash swaps and read those threads to see what is all involved in each of those swaps - they are NOT a weekend project (mine was 2-3 months, and that was with this swap being done by 3 people before me so I had notes to follow - I still had to figure out issues specific to my car).

jscott1 offers (or did) a plug and play dash harness for the gages - but you still have to figure out the door locks, power windows and poer mirrors if you have those options.

Here are a couple more not listed above:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-2-031255.html

The one that started it all (my swap comes in around page 18) - this ones lists all the issues found with (mainly) the Firebird dash install and the solutions used (which could apply to the others as well):
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000119.html

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 01-26-2011).]

punkguy0017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for punkguy0017Send a Private Message to punkguy0017Direct Link to This Post
ok thanks man i will read those threads.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock